Sevco v Saints, Wednesday night

blueheaven

28 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Having watched it and taken the available squads into account iam disappointed but not totally distraught. 

3 players making their premier League debuts tonight. 6 or 7 players under 23. 

Thought the second goal was the killer and not sure where they got 2 minutes injury time from. 

Henry did well new strikers came on and so okay. Like the boy from Millwall.

Onwards as these are not the games that will define our season.

Our season will not depend on OF games although you always hope to keep it close or sneak a draw.

Only 7 subs.

May missing.

Muzz has been out long before shutdown. Don't remember him having a really bad injury so.thought 6 months would have seen it cleared.

Craig & Conway are not going to manage 2 games a week  so we need at least 1 midfielder.  Spoony probably comes into that category as well plus he is not a central midfielder. 

Not sure why all the Parish criticism is necessary TBH. I didn't think he did much wrong and made a couple of good saves. He was never going to get to the first goal, and the defence let him down a bit for both the second and third goals.

Not a good result but I felt there were quite a few positives to take from the game. Our passing looks fast and crisp - it looks to me like Davidson has had us working a lot on our one-touch passing. Hendry looks stronger than last season and had another stand-out performance - once he starts knocking goals in I think we're going to find it very hard to hold onto him. McNamara I thought looked very comfortable when he moved into midfield, and Rooney looked good when he came on. Another very influential performance from Spoony too - he played a few really clever through-balls for the front players to run on to.

Conway I felt struggled with the pace of the game and I'm not sure this was the right one to start him in, but appreciate we didn't have a lot of options.

Not sure what's wrong with May but if he's fit for Saturday I'd like to see him start alongside Hendry, in front of a midfield three of Spoony, Craig and McCann.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure why all the Parish criticism is necessary TBH. I didn't think he did much wrong and made a couple of good saves. He was never going to get to the first goal, and the defence let him down a bit for both the second and third goals.

Not a good result but I felt there were quite a few positives to take from the game. Our passing looks fast and crisp - it looks to me like Davidson has had us working a lot on our one-touch passing. Hendry looks stronger than last season and had another stand-out performance - once he starts knocking goals in I think we're going to find it very hard to hold onto him. McNamara I thought looked very comfortable when he moved into midfield, and Rooney looked good when he came on. Another very influential performance from Spoony too - he played a few really clever through-balls for the front players to run on to.

Conway I felt struggled with the pace of the game and I'm not sure this was the right one to start him in, but appreciate we didn't have a lot of options.

Not sure what's wrong with May but if he's fit for Saturday I'd like to see him start alongside Hendry, in front of a midfield three of Spoony, Craig and McCann.

I also hope we play a midfield three with two up top. I just feel a front three is a bit too ambitious at times. It’s great if you’ve got Mane and Salah bombing on but it asks a lot of Conway and Spoony. Naturally it’s going to leave big spaces which happened last night.

My issue with the first goal was Parish’s “attempt” at a dive. 

Anyway, Rangers looked decent and match fitter so can’t complain too much.

1 hour ago, Brian Potter said:

My issue with the first goal was Parish’s “attempt” at a dive.

I think he just realised he wasn't getting it, dive or not. I very much doubt Clark would have kept it out.

Over the course of two games we've played I actually think Parish has looked OK.

I think if Rangers needed/wanted to, they could have taken more off us. We weren't terrible, but I think we lacked a bit of experience in that side. Not necessarily age, but just someone a bit more streetwise at the back. We look short on numbers, but I get why we are not signing many at the moment.

Agree with those saying Parrish wasnt great, but he wasnt terrible either. Always think anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers, but was let down a bit by defending players.

In a way, not a bad game to have all being considering. We expected nothing, so get the match fitness up a bit at relatively little cost in terms of points. Would have been interesting to see how we would have done had we not been 2 games short of planned and at least 3 games less than Rangers.

Gordon was lucky not to go off. He's usually got at least one of those rash challenges a game, maybe having a defender as a manager will help him and Callum was right to point out that the foul for the free kick was a bad decision by Spoony. 

Killie will be a totally different game and I'd hope we will take it to them a bit more. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think the criticism of Parish is very much justified he was a bombscare all through the match. A goalie needs to make himself as big as possible especially with defenders unable to do so without giving away penalties, something which Parish did not do at all last night. The game on Saturday against Killie on the plastic would maybe be a good game to give the young lad his chance in goal.

19 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

I think the criticism of Parish is very much justified he was a bombscare all through the match. A goalie needs to make himself as big as possible especially with defenders unable to do so without giving away penalties, something which Parish did not do at all last night. The game on Saturday against Killie on the plastic would maybe be a good game to give the young lad his chance in goal.

Totally agree but how was making himself big to blame for any of the goals. 

First free kick over wall

Two defenders let Kent drop off them

Three poor defending should have been picked up at front post. 

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think he just realised he wasn't getting it, dive or not. I very much doubt Clark would have kept it out.

Over the course of two games we've played I actually think Parish has looked OK.

Clark conceded an almost identical one there a few seasons back, when we lost 5-1. Maybe even worse as it was a right footer swinging it towards him, and im sure he got a hand to it.

3 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Parish conceded one goal from open play and saved two shots when Rangers were one on one. One from Morelos, one from Roofe.

What were the occasions where he "didn't make himself big"?

11 hours ago, mainstand said:

If you put one on each post at the corner you are then leaving 2 men free or asking someone to pick up 2. I would have thought we should have had one on the front post. 

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Aye good point

It worked in the 60's and 70,s ? did they have more players in them days?  

17 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Sorry but I just didn't see any instance of him being a "bombscare" or not "making himself as big as possible". I get the impression from some of the comments I've read (not necessarily yours) that some people had just decided he was crap before even giving him a chance. I'm not really sure how good people realistically think they can expect our back-up goalkeeper to be.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Sorry but I just didn't see any instance of him being a "bombscare" or not "making himself as big as possible". I get the impression from some of the comments I've read (not necessarily yours) that some people had just decided he was crap before even giving him a chance. I'm not really sure how good people realistically think they can expect our back-up goalkeeper to be.

Would be expecting someone that can challenge the first choice imo not just because we have a shit budget we accept the guy because alledgly he stays in Perth and is a cheap option. But suppose you get what you pay for. What I have seen from him doesn't inspire confidence but there again Clark at times doesn't either, but that is tge market we work in!

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think I’m right in saying we all love Spoony now, but Parish is an arse. Hard to keep up.