St Johnstone v Hibs 23/08/20

tucker

18 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Hibs top of league but they have played all the bottom 5 teams.

Not concerned about Hibs we need to find goals from somewhere. Because we are losing at least 1 a game therefore need to score at least 2 to win. Sad situation

Edited by Johnny B

25 minutes ago, tucker said:

Happy with the performance goals and more luck will happen, thought parish and defence played well ,Mikey ran his socks off starting to look more and more dangerous,wins will come,need two or three players still a bit light

Tommy Wright on Sky said he had had a chat with Calum who said he hoped to have 2 or 3 targets in over the next few weeks.

Is Calum playing mind games with the board by getting Tommy to say this on sky??

54 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Hibs player has only got to fall over, as Gordon is smothering him.

Sad to say Gordon gave the Ref. an option, as they say in football parlance 

You could see Gordon mouthing to the ref, I was pushed.

As Naismith says ,Hibs were cute,Portious goes down which makes an off balance Gordon go over him .

16 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Tommy Wright on Sky said he had had a chat with Calum who said he hoped to have 2 or 3 targets in over the next few weeks.

Is Calum playing mind games with the board by getting Tommy to say this on sky??

Was brilliant to see Tommy lost a bit of weight looks happy mentioned about chairman and Kirsten Robertson coming in,

2 hours ago, Rob said:

He said something to the ref, wasnt in his face yelling. He walked away and ref then shows a card. No need at all to make a decision like that. Just like the penalty. Pushing and shoving all over the place and looked more like Liam lost his balance after a push against him. No idea why a decision like that was made in what was a very unclear situation. 

I agree.. I have no problem Saints being punished, however how many times do you see Scott Brown berating officials during and after the game?  I can’t remember him ever being punished so you have to punish all or non at all... I still think had we been Celtic or Rangers today the officials would not have given a penalty, not chalked the goal off or send Craig off.

We must know by now we are not held in low regard but no regard at all in Scottish football.. that is why we savour any kind of win because it is against all odds.. 

20 minutes ago, mainstand said:

That is not the point when the player goes down 

Thats the moment Gordon starts man handling him.

His opponent is crafty, he backs in, makes himself wide, and blocks Gordon. Gordon responds by grabbing him and leaning in.

Opponent then falls and Gordon lands on him.

Gordon should be smart enough not to fall for that.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

His opponent is crafty, he backs in, makes himself wide, and blocks Gordon. Gordon responds by grabbing him and leaning in.

Yes but that is not the point he goes down. As it stands in that picture there is no penalty they both have a hold of each other. 

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Should the referee not be good enough to not fall for that?

A bit worried now. On one hand we've dominated much of the play against Hibs and Aberdeen in the last couple of games and neither of those sides has managed to create much against us. On the other hand, if we can't find a way to score, we're going to keep getting punished like this time and time again.

I'm concerned that Davidson is sticking blindly to a system that isn't working and doesn't suit the squad we have. Hendry is having to come so deep to get the ball that when our wide players do their jobs and fizz balls across the face of goal, he's not in the place where he should be. McCann seems nullified by the midfield set-up and doesn't have the prominence he seemed to have last season. And Wotherspoon's been one of our best players this season, yet he gets left on the bench for Conway who struggles every time he's on the pitch.

On the bright side, McNamara was once again excellent. Also it should be a big boost to have May back - we need to get him and Hendry onto the pitch at the same time so that they can play as a partnership.

10 hours ago, mainstand said:

Yes but that is not the point he goes down. As it stands in that picture there is no penalty they both have a hold of each other. 

It doesn't matter when he goes down. At that point Liam Gordon has a hold of his opponent and is virtually wrestling with him. 

Whether its right or wrong to only penalise Gordon, he's giving the ref a decision. Gordon shouldn't be retaliating. 

10 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Should the referee not be good enough to not fall for that?

Should Gordon not be good enough not to fall for it?

43 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm concerned that Davidson is sticking blindly to a system that isn't working and doesn't suit the squad we have.

Tbf he's got a squad, if you take away the injuries, that has two senior CMs, one senior ST, and 3 trustworthy CBs.

What set up were people expecting?

13 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

My man of the match has to be McNamara. 

Despite his early yellow card, went on to perform greatly in defence and attack. 

Still a young guy (20 I believe) who will only get better I'm sure.

His crossing needs to improve, but he's keeping Rooney on the sidelines.

Agree wae you about McNamara, but thought Kerr was Mom yesterday.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Tbf he's got a squad, if you take away the injuries, that has two senior CMs, one senior ST, and 3 trustworthy CBs.

What set up were people expecting?

Not sure I'm following your numbers there... McCann, Craig and Wotherspoon are three CMs, and his ST options were Hendry, May and MOH (along with Tanto and Robertson). Conway could arguably be said to fit one of those roles too although TBH I have no idea what Davidson considers his best position to be.

Either way, we had the players available to play numerous different systems. The manager's hands weren't tied.

21 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure I'm following your numbers there... McCann, Craig and Wotherspoon are three CMs, and his ST options were Hendry, May and MOH (along with Tanto and Robertson). Conway could arguably be said to fit one of those roles too although TBH I have no idea what Davidson considers his best position to be.

Either way, we had the players available to play numerous different systems. The manager's hands weren't tied.

I agree. In fact, there are other systems that suited our squad numbers much better when he arrived. With 5-3-1-1 he'd have just needed to sign a right-back who can play centre-back too (which he did) and maybe one more centre-midfielder to be pretty well covered. He's imposed a system on the squad and tried to fit them around it. It relies, I think, on MOH & Hendry as they are the main attacking focus. At the moment, they can barely pass to each other.

24 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Wotherspoon I cant agree with as a CM. You wouldn't want him there in a 4-4-2, for example.

MOH isn't a central striker, and May hasn't been fit.

Conway is exclusively a winger based on his previous career.

So we've spent the majority of this season with 3 first team quality CBs, two CMs, and one ST.

26 minutes ago, Bruno Strasser said:

That was a real sickener. We have to find a way of scoring - in both Aberdeen and Hibs games we could have played all night and not looked like scoring. Agree with the comments about McCann. I hope when Muzz comes back he starts playing further up the pitch. Really missing his passing and link play up front.

We get plenty of crosses in the box but no takers as there are usually 3 strikers in box but not one far enough forward to attack the ball.

Most of the crosses were from the right via Danny or Jason. There was very little from the left. Even at throw ins  in the last third Tanser would throw back to McCart who the passed it back to goalie. I lost count of the time attacking options turned into defensive ones.

On the bright side Tanser & McCart seemed to deal well with Boyle.