St Johnstone v Hibs 23/08/20

tucker

Very dissapointing result.

As full time approached I was thinking we were unlucky not to take all the points and then that awful penalty. It might have been a genuine shout but I've seen so many over the years when our players have been mugged and not received a peep -

( Steven Anderson at Ibrox comes to mind)

Agree with most here that we need Hendry playing aa a proper old fashioned center forward and being in the box - he was falling back further and further.

On the whole it was a marked improvement from Thursday, Milwall must have some squad if they can ship out young McNamarra he's been oustanding. Not convinced on Conway; he's shown nothing to convince me he can change a game.

I'm afraid  i think the whole picture at Saints just now is another Johnny Nash - More questions than Answers. 

14 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Not concerned about Hibs we need to find goals from somewhere. Because we are losing at least 1 a game therefore need to score 2 at least 2 to win. Sad situation

I agree we are losing narrowly. One reason is we can't score. Is it down to the formation? Are making sure we have a strong defence with a back 5 and 2 sitting midfielders and neglecting the attacking side of the game? Our best all round football is played with 4 5 1 which becomes 4 3 3 when attacking.

Just because we have 3 solid central defenders it does not mean we have to play 3 at the back.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Very dissapointing result.

As full time approached I was thinking we were unlucky not to take all the points and then that awful penalty. It might have been a genuine shout but I've seen so many over the years when our players have been mugged and not received a peep -

( Steven Anderson at Ibrox comes to mind)

Agree with most here that we need Hendry playing aa a proper old fashioned center forward and being in the box - he was falling back further and further.

On the whole it was a marked improvement from Thursday, Milwall must have some squad if they can ship out young McNamarra he's been oustanding. Not convinced on Conway; he's shown nothing to convince me he can change a game.

I'm afraid  i think the whole picture at Saints just now is another Johnny Nash - More questions than Answers. 

You will lose the young anes wae Johnny Nash.LAUGH OUT LOUD.

The goal was offside and the penalty was a 50/50, but in reality, we shouldn't have been at the mercy of these decisions. Game could and should have been won long before that.

Think we are OK defensively, but the forward looking formation doesnt work with the players available. MOH behind a front 2 of May and Hendry would be best suited and assume is the plan.

Conway, I'm afraid on the showings so far is no better than swanson was.

Craig was stupid to mouth off like he did, but to me, he is the only 'voice's in that side. When we got the goal chopped off, there wasnt enough shouting by the players and same from Gordon when he conceded the penalty. Not that I was to see players berate the ref, but when decisions are incorrectly given against you, put doubt in the refs mind for the next time.

On the positive side, we are still mid table, despite throwing away 6 silly points and have played 3 if not arguably 4 of the top 6 slides in our first 5 games. Bar the Rangers game, we haven't looked worse than any of them. 

14 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

The goal was offside and the penalty was a 50/50, but in reality, we shouldn't have been at the mercy of these decisions. Game could and should have been won long before that.

Think we are OK defensively, but the forward looking formation doesnt work with the players available. MOH behind a front 2 of May and Hendry would be best suited and assume is the plan.

Conway, I'm afraid on the showings so far is no better than swanson was.

Craig was stupid to mouth off like he did, but to me, he is the only 'voice's in that side. When we got the goal chopped off, there wasnt enough shouting by the players and same from Gordon when he conceded the penalty. Not that I was to see players berate the ref, but when decisions are incorrectly given against you, put doubt in the refs mind for the next time.

On the positive side, we are still mid table, despite throwing away 6 silly points and have played 3 if not arguably 4 of the top 6 slides in our first 5 games. Bar the Rangers game, we haven't looked worse than any of them. 

Let’s see how we go against St Mirren, Motherwell, County and Livi. Then we’ll see. I think we’ve plenty to be safe but I’ve no idea what our potential best might be.

51 minutes ago, andrew said:

Let’s see how we go against St Mirren, Motherwell, County and Livi. Then we’ll see. I think we’ve plenty to be safe but I’ve no idea what our potential best might be.

Totally agree. We have enough I'd say to avoid relegation, but last few games has shown that the squad is a bit light.

Ironically, as much as he didn't overly impress last season, Jason Holt would fit really well into this system.

2 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

I couldn't quite believe it when I saw the goal on the BBC - everyone just shrugged and walked away. Wonder if it would have been different if fans were in the ground?

Officials are not going to change their minds but Hendry walked away like he believed he was offside.

50 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

I couldn't quite believe it when I saw the goal on the BBC - everyone just shrugged and walked away. Wonder if it would have been different if fans were in the ground?

Officials are not going to change their minds but Hendry walked away like he believed he was offside.

Yeah,noticed that as well 

Any striker worth his salt would have been shouting at ref or linesman 

Same with Gordon,he just lay there and said I was pushed. Most defenders would be up like a shot and in refs face.

I think this yeam is to soft & honest. There is no rolling about or screaming when player almost makes contact.  Tanser at Killie,just bounced up * got the ball. Very admirable but we have to play the same game as everyone else.

I honestly dont know what possessed the ref to make a call on something so unclear in the 90th minute. You just cant see decisions like that going against Rangers or Celtic. It just wouldnt happen but referees have no problem making decisions against a club with no influence. As Davidson said, no point complaining as nothing can be changed, decision made. 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I honestly dont know what possessed the ref to make a call on something so unclear in the 90th minute. You just cant see decisions like that going against Rangers or Celtic. It just wouldnt happen but referees have no problem making decisions against a club with no influence. As Davidson said, no point complaining as nothing can be changed, decision made. 

Couldn’t agree more. If you are going to give that you are going to be giving 2 or 3 pens every match. Ridiculous call in the 90th minute, just simply not a clear enough penalty 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

If the OF had a goal chalked off & a debatable penalty all hell would have let loose & the press would have been full of it for a week.

I know it shouldn't make a difference whether it is first minute or 94th minute . The ref should make the right decision but you would think Calum at least would have had a word at half time about the disallowed goal & the ref would have had that in mind when deciding about a penalty in the last seconds of a game.

23 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Thats the moment Gordon starts man handling him.

His opponent is crafty, he backs in, makes himself wide, and blocks Gordon. Gordon responds by grabbing him and leaning in.

Opponent then falls and Gordon lands on him.

Gordon should be smart enough not to fall for that.

You've never actually played the game have you?

10 hours ago, jhq said:

You've never actually played the game have you?

Yes, I've no idea why people keep claiming that.

I played religiously through primary, part of the secondary team, was playing pub league at 17 and had trials for amateur sides.

The draw of going out and getting hammered began to win late on so I stopped playing 11 a side and started playing 5 a side/futsal, then life started getting in the way.

Gordon doesn't need to get involved the way he does.

15 hours ago, Cagey said:

Any striker worth his salt would have been shouting at ref or linesman 

Same with Gordon,he just lay there and said I was pushed. Most defenders would be up like a shot and in refs face.

I think this yeam is to soft & honest. There is no rolling about or screaming when player almost makes contact.  Tanser at Killie,just bounced up * got the ball. Very admirable but we have to play the same game as everyone else.

Out of interest, why? Does moaning at refs or rolling around on the ground ever actually achieve anything? The ref wouldn't have changed his mind about either of his crucial decisions. A bit less moaning at the ref would also have spared Liam Craig his red card.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Yes, I've no idea why people keep claiming that.

I played religiously through primary, part of the secondary team, was playing pub league at 17 and had trials for amateur sides.

The draw of going out and getting hammered began to win late on so I stopped playing 11 a side and started playing 5 a side/futsal, then life started getting in the way.

Gordon doesn't need to get involved the way he does.

Boys football doesn't have the physicality of men's football, and fives is a completely different game.  If you let people bully you in the box you lose.  FWIW I think it is a penalty, but to expect Gordon to just let himself be bullied shows a total lack of understanding of football. 

Edited by jhq

23 minutes ago, jhq said:

Boys football doesn't have the physicality of men's football, and fives is a completely different game.  If you let people bully you in the box you lose.  FWIW I think it is a penalty, but to expect Gordon to just let himself be bullied shows a total lack of understanding of football. 

You're telling a boy who played in defence at 17, in pub league against 18st forwards, about how physical a game can be?

I never said Gordon should be bullied, I'm saying he should be smarter about it. Grabbing a hold of the boys shirt on the refs side, and putting your weight onto the defender, isn't smart defending, he's giving his opponent and the ref a virtual open goal for a penalty. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

You're telling a boy who played in defence at 17, in pub league against 18st forwards, about how physical a game can be?

I never said Gordon should be bullied, I'm saying he should be smarter about it. Grabbing a hold of the boys shirt on the refs side, and putting your weight onto the defender, isn't smart defending, he's giving his opponent and the ref a virtual open goal for a penalty. 

Did you miss the bit where I said I thought it was a penalty.  And well done on playing in the pub league before you were old enough to get in to a pub.

32 minutes ago, jhq said:

Did you miss the bit where I said I thought it was a penalty.  And well done on playing in the pub league before you were old enough to get in to a pub.

Tbh I barely read your posts anymore, as they're generally just filled with shite to try and have a go at me in some way or another.