Harry Curran

JmSG

Greetings, remember Harry Curran? I think he was a central midfielder? could you describe him as a player? looking for information in the Dundee Utd archive is described as a defensive midfielder but I think that in the Saints he played more attacker

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

He was our top scorer in our first season back in the Premier under Alex Totten in 90/91. Scored 9 goals. Wonder what he's up to now.

Google presents 3 possibilities: a young male model (unlikely), a Labour Councillor in Lanarkshire (hope not) and a dead guy ( definitely hope not).

30 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Google presents 3 possibilities: a young male model (unlikely), a Labour Councillor in Lanarkshire (hope not) and a dead guy ( definitely hope not).

Funny how a lot of these guys seem to go from having quite high profile careers to apparently disappearing completely off the grid.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, Strawman said:

First Saints player to score at McDiarmid.

Branded a hammer thrower by Souness after Oleg Kuznetzof  got injured in a challenge with him.

Good midfielder who seemed to score regularly if my memory is right.

Was that Oleg's debut for Rangers?

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Was that Oleg's debut for Rangers?

Not quite - it was his second game according to https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/04/01/an-unlikely-marriage-the-ukrainian-influence-on-scottish-football/

At his peak he was considered one of the best defenders in the world, coming 11th in the 1988 Ballon d’Or, and upon signing for Rangers, Graeme Souness said he was up there with Franco Baresi as the best defender in Europe. This pedigree was evident when he strolled through his debut against St Mirren in a 5-0 victory, a performance that included rattling the post with a shot from 25 yards, and all signs pointed to another star signing by Souness.

Unfortunately, disaster struck against St Johnstone a week later, when he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury after a tackle from Harry Curran – which made Souness comment that Scottish football was full of “hammer throwers” – that ruled Kuznetsov out for a year.

Coincidentally, exactly the same thing happened to Seb Rozenthal - he did his cruciate ligament in his second appearance for Rangers, in a game against Saints:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sebastian-rozental-reveals-brutal-rangers-22322884

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Unfortunately, disaster struck against St Johnstone a week later, when he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury after a tackle from Harry Curran – which made Souness comment that Scottish football was full of “hammer throwers” – that ruled Kuznetsov out for a year.

Memory no longer what it was but I thought I read somewhere that Sergei Baltacha said Kuznetsov was carrying an injury before that game and the tackle from Curran was not the main cause of the injury.  Could be a complete blether on my part but something is nagging at the back of my mind.

48 minutes ago, south inch said:

Memory no longer what it was but I thought I read somewhere that Sergei Baltacha said Kuznetsov was carrying an injury before that game and the tackle from Curran was not the main cause of the injury.  Could be a complete blether on my part but something is nagging at the back of my mind.

Actually that rings a bell with me too.

One other thing I read fairly recently was that when Rangers signed Kuznetsov they arranged for Dynamo Kiev to come over to Ibrox and play a pre-season friendly. Kiev wanted to play Saints while they were in Scotland (because of the Baltacha connection) and tried to arrange a game at McDiarmid, but Saints ended up having to turn it down because we already had a friendly arranged against Newcastle Utd and the dates would have clashed.

• 6 months later...

Hello guys. I thought i would provide an update since this thread was fairly recent.

Harry is my uncle. He has obviously been retired a long time now. Since then hes done odd jobs such as the taxis and the likes. Hes currently labouring for a building firm and enjoying it.

He talks fondly of his time in perth with the saints and he was a source of pride for me and my brother as young kids having a pro footballer in the family. The one time we went to perth to watch him the game was called of for weather i remember.

I remember watching him play for Partick thistle in the inter toto cup in 1992 i think it was. They were beaten 2-1 and my uncle got the goal. That midfield goal threat as some have previously commented. Thistle in europe still makes me laugh.

He loved his football. Even though wages for players at his level were not the best. I remember him telling me he would actually be out of pocket playing for some clubs. 

He put a lot into his football and is still a very fit guy. Even if he likes a few more beers these days. 

So yeh thats oor Harry still football daft and a good laugh.

All the best to the saints.

4 hours ago, John said:

Hello guys. I thought i would provide an update since this thread was fairly recent.

Harry is my uncle. He has obviously been retired a long time now. Since then hes done odd jobs such as the taxis and the likes. Hes currently labouring for a building firm and enjoying it.

He talks fondly of his time in perth with the saints and he was a source of pride for me and my brother as young kids having a pro footballer in the family. The one time we went to perth to watch him the game was called of for weather i remember.

I remember watching him play for Partick thistle in the inter toto cup in 1992 i think it was. They were beaten 2-1 and my uncle got the goal. That midfield goal threat as some have previously commented. Thistle in europe still makes me laugh.

He loved his football. Even though wages for players at his level were not the best. I remember him telling me he would actually be out of pocket playing for some clubs. 

He put a lot into his football and is still a very fit guy. Even if he likes a few more beers these days. 

So yeh thats oor Harry still football daft and a good laugh.

All the best to the saints.

A labourer??? Christ, hope he doesn't have any "hammers" on him.... 

Fantastic player for saints 204 appearances and 34 goals (1 every 6 games),

Saints his main club more than half of his career games were for us

main stay from 1989 to 1995 in Totten and Sturrock eras (less said about McClelland the better)

a very underrated player by non saintees

glad to hear he is stll enjoying life, left us lots of good memories

On 3/17/2021 at 8:24 AM, blueheaven said:

Would love to hear Harry (and other players from that era) on either of the great Saints podcasts we have knocking about at the moment.

I've contacted John to ask whether Harry might be up for it.  Great box to box player, the Liam Craig of his day.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:06 PM, crieffsaintandy said:

Scored the first ever goal at mcdiarmid 31 years ago against the bankies, good player and goal threat from midfield, could actually do with a player like him just now!

31 years ago..................ffs, I feel utterly depressed. WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!