Motherwell v St Johnstone 12/09/20

tucker

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Don’t agree with the first part. I can think of 7/8 opportunities already this season which should have been goals, including 3 today. We are creating chances, the strikers just aren’t taking them yet. 

So we need what  has been lacking for the last few seasons a striker who can score goals. MOH not a striker, Kane who's has never been a goal scorer. Hendry a young boy learning his trade yet to find a goal so far. May supposed to be our returning saviour still to shine. I struggle to see where our goals are coming from. Said it before today's game we will concede a goal therefore need to score 2 to win it"s not going to happen. Time for change in formation and tactics.

From a Callum Davidson point of view, I would have thought he'd be generally quite happy with the tactics and formation. 

Plenty possession, not that many goals conceded and chances created....now if his strikers would only take their chances.

Personally, not a great fan of the formation so far, but the chances have been there just not taken. You would imagine Hendry's starting place must be under threat, not really looked like scoring so far. If your striker isn't scoring then someone else should get the chance. May on from the start for me, with Hendry coming on as defenders get tired.

Just watched the highlights, can't complain too much about their goal...good hit. Not sure we would have scored if we were still playing now.

We weren’t terrible, but just lacking movement. They basically closed us down, man marked us, made it difficult to play. They were set out to grind out the win from the start.

I think we need to play May from the start. I’m a big fan of Hendry, but he looks tired after about 60mins and was often at his best coming off the bench to win a game.

The defenders need to work on their passing. Too many terrible long balls. I still think Booth is much better defensively and going forward than Tanser. I’d also prefer Davidson in for Wotherspoon, and Wotherspoon instead of Conway.

More strikers won’t solve anything. Our build up play isn’t good enough. The only times we look like scoring is when O’Halloran runs and there might be a mistake from the defender. I really don’t like the formation, and think we need to pack the centre midfield with 3, then have 2 strikers. However, if he’s going to continue, Davidson needs to find a way of scoring. His plan at the moment seems to be: get Conway to cross and Hendry to head it. This isn’t working.

The bottom line is, we didn’t know what to do with the ball when we had it, and the players were getting increasingly frustrated.

In my opinion....

We don't  get anywhere near enough bodies going forward at the moment. There were some good spells today, but at the back of my mind there was a feeling of "we ain't going to score"

Our goals per game ratio (current) is not in the glass half full category.....in my opinion. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Motherwell had 0 shots on target in the box, and only 2 all match (the goal, then a 94th minute one from 30 yards), while we had 3 clear shots at goal from within 12 yards (Hendry header, Wotherspoon, then May).

How can folk see that then claim its all down to a tactical issue?

It's not,  you can play any system you like but if the players fail to do the job they're paid to do then the system means **** all.

Professionals missing the target from under 12 yards? Not very professional if you ask me. They need to get a grip or **** off as per every other job on the planet.

14 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Would it kill CD to just try starting Hendry and May together as a front two? It worked really well in the second half of last season. Very frustrating to see it not being used this season when we're struggling so badly to score goals.

As I said in an earlier post when CD was asked if Steve Clark should move from back 3 CD said if you believe in a system you should stick with it.

I think we changed things against United,Killie & St Mirren & got results.

30 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Would it kill CD to just try starting Hendry and May together as a front two? It worked really well in the second half of last season. Very frustrating to see it not being used this season when we're struggling so badly to score goals.

Has May been fit to start?

A lot of folk moaning about this, or McCann having to play a deeper role, completely ignoring the fact we've had so many injuries this season so far. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

A lot of folk moaning about this, or McCann having to play a deeper role, completely ignoring the fact we've had so many injuries this season so far. 

McCann playing a different role is completely to do with Callums system and NOT to do with injuries. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

That's kind of my thinking, though not overly sure it my be callum's but waiting to see.

I think getting Davidson back fit is maybe more important as he will be able to sit and let McCann play the more advanced role

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Motherwell had 0 shots on target in the box, and only 2 all match (the goal, then a 94th minute one from 30 yards), while we had 3 clear shots at goal from within 12 yards (Hendry header, Wotherspoon, then May).

I don't think you should get hung up on Motherwells 0 shots at goal. We allowed them an early goal and they shut up shop as you would expect from a team in their position.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Also Mikeys effort that hit the keeer,when he should’ve dinked it square to Hendry,we’re creating plenty chances in each game,but not finishing,just wonder if Callum will get another striker in,and let Kano go ,in 3 months 

13 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Also Mikeys effort that hit the keeer,when he should’ve dinked it square to Hendry,we’re creating plenty chances in each game,but not finishing,just wonder if Callum will get another striker in,and let Kano go ,in 3 months 

The problem there was Hendry ran towards O'Halloran instead of making space for a cut back.

It’s clear that the system is hampered by playing O’Halloran. Technically and tactically he cannot and never has been able to play up front. There were times yesterday that Hendry won a flick I’m only to see O’Halloran standing next to him instead of anticipating the ball. For all people can go on about the system, it does work. We’ve been the better team against Aberdeen (albeit a weakened one), Hibs and now Motherwell. Had we taken the clear chances we created we’d be sitting with 7 more points right now and a much healthier GD from the St Mirren game. The defence is doing their job, the midfielders are arguably doing theirs. That means it’s the strikers who are the issue and not playing 2 natural ones first and foremost is the issue. I’d also rather see Spoony in behind as he gives McCann a bit more freedom as he’s got the ability to step back. Conway just doesn’t offer the same goals and creativity as Spoony.

If we are bringing players in, right now I hope it’s firstly a midfielder and I’m almost swaying towards a striker now. Especially since Kane has 3 months to earn another deal at saints.

I like MOH, but I honestly think he’s the most overrated player at the club. I just don’t think he offers enough.

I agree about us not getting enough bodies forward, we seem to have lost the ability to hit teams in the break. I wonder if this is because players are being careful to stick to their new positions and play the system.

I’m not sure about all this talk about May being unfit, I think Davidson has chosen to build his team around Hendry. I think that’s why he signed Conway, so that he has someone who can cross for Hendry to get on to.

The only thing I can say in MOH's favour is that he is not a striker but a winger. First time here he played right midfield second time here on loan he played left wing on both occasions he was very good. His third time here he struggled to play as Wright and Kennedy had the wing positions. Since they left we have not played with wingers so he has had to struggle up front. 

May, we will have to wait and see if he produces his old form once he has a run in the team.

If Davidson has chosen to build his team around Hendry we have big problems.

3 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That's kind of my thinking, though not overly sure it my be callum's but waiting to see.

I think getting Davidson back fit is maybe more important as he will be able to sit and let McCann play the more advanced role

I think Murray Davidson is seen as more of a goal threat than Ali McCann, in the six yard box anyway. I’d prefer Murray and Liam in the box more often than May, O’Halloran or Hendry.

If Callum sticks to his current system Murray has to play more advanced than McCann for me.

That said, I think Callum is making a huge mistake converting Ali McCann to a sitting midfielder at this stage in his career. He can make things happen and is composed in the final third. Our best young player since 2013 and you are curbing his impact on a game.

Dont get me wrong, in the medium to long term Ali McCann is absolutely a holding midfielder, but the lad is 20 years of age with boundless talent and energy - let him play.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I agree about McCann being held back. The problem is, I think all our centre midfielders are more suited to being the more advanced of a midfield pair. If anyone has to play there though from the current four, I think Craig would be better than McCann, who needs to be allowed to get forward.

14 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I think Murray Davidson is seen as more of a goal threat than Ali McCann, in the six yard box anyway. I’d prefer Murray and Liam in the box more often than May, O’Halloran or Hendry.

If Callum sticks to his current system Murray has to play more advanced than McCann for me.

That said, I think Callum is making a huge mistake converting Ali McCann to a sitting midfielder at this stage in his career. He can make things happen and is composed in the final third. Our best young player since 2013 and you are curbing his impact on a game.

Dont get me wrong, in the medium to long term Ali McCann is absolutely a holding midfielder, but the lad is 20 years of age with boundless talent and energy - let him play.

Tend to agree and looking at the players it really screams a midfield 3 one holding two 'roaming'. However if it's only the two then Davidson is maybe the better one sitting, only really basing this on age and potential reduction in engine

With what we have now I would be tempted along the lines of but, get a holding midfielder you replace Craig with Davidson.

Davidson

McCann.         Craig 

May

Hendry

This then leave the puzzle of what to do with Conway, MHO and to an extent wotherspoon, your winger type players. The former potentially a nice option to come off the bench to change things if chasing a game?

2 hours ago, Linky said:

I like MOH, but I honestly think he’s the most overrated player at the club. I just don’t think he offers enough.

I agree about us not getting enough bodies forward, we seem to have lost the ability to hit teams in the break. I wonder if this is because players are being careful to stick to their new positions and play the system.

I’m not sure about all this talk about May being unfit, I think Davidson has chosen to build his team around Hendry. I think that’s why he signed Conway, so that he has someone who can cross for Hendry to get on to.

When he came in CD was singing Mikey's praises so it looks like he sees a striker in him so like his formation I doubt if he will change..

Mikey is a winger,nothing else.

I would never have Spoony in midfield. He is better wide  left. He is also a bit of a liability in midfield. He gave away a free kick at Ibrox & yesterday he had a couple of chances to take the ball off Campbell.

If we play to our strengths with players in there best position we can be top 6 this season. If Callum persists with square legs in round holes.