Motherwell v St Johnstone 12/09/20

tucker

22 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Has May been fit to start?

A lot of folk moaning about this, or McCann having to play a deeper role, completely ignoring the fact we've had so many injuries this season so far. 

May's been involved in all the games since the Hibs match, so I'd be surprised if fitness was still an issue. Unless you've heard otherwise?

I haven't heard anything to suggest McCann's role is connected to injuries either. CD spoke about McCann's role at length in The Courier last week and didn't mention injuries at all - every indication seemed to be that this is the role Callum wants him to be playing now.

Our injury situation isn't all that bad at the moment anyway.

6 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

May's been involved in all the games since the Hibs match, so I'd be surprised if fitness was still an issue. Unless you've heard otherwise?

I haven't heard anything to suggest McCann's role is connected to injuries either. CD spoke about McCann's role at length in The Courier last week and didn't mention injuries at all - every indication seemed to be that this is the role Callum wants him to be playing now.

Our injury situation isn't all that bad at the moment anyway.

From what I can gather, he's not risking anyone who has a niggle.

Booth, Davidson, May, Kane all fall into that category so have had minimal game time. Id be surprised if TW hadn't just forced them back into starting by now.

Now that we have 7 games under our belt is the system working. Many would argue yes because if we took our chances we would have more points. Some would say our defense is sold with a back 3 becoming a back 5 when defending. But is it; we have only 1 clean sheet and conceding over a goal a game. Our sold defences in the past were sold because of the clean sheets. CD will continue with formation because he believes in it. Only time will tell if he is correct.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:01 PM, Johnny B said:

Said it before today's game we will concede a goal therefore need to score 2 to win it"s not going to happen. Time for change in formation and tactics.

You aiming for 0-0 draws all season then? We are creating plenty so I can't see why the formation is such an issue? 

I would give May and Kane the benefit of the doubt as they have been out injured.

May has played 111 minutes - all from the bench and scored once.

Kane has played 101 minutes over three games (although he was an 89th minute sub in the second of those) and is yet to score.

Hendry has played 436 minutes and did score a perfectly good goal - who knows if that would have made all the difference if it had rightly stood.

Edited by garydavidson

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Now that we have 7 games under our belt is the system working. Many would argue yes because if we took our chances we would have more points. Some would say our defense is sold with a back 3 becoming a back 5 when defending. But is it; we have only 1 clean sheet and conceding over a goal a game. Our sold defences in the past were sold because of the clean sheets. CD will continue with formation because he believes in it. Only time will tell if he is correct.

For me we've played OK ... not brilliantly, but OK. Defensively we look pretty solid (and I also think Parish has done well). Up front, for me, things aren't clicking. Maybe, given time, the players will get used to it and we'll start doing better. Maybe we need different players who can fit the system. But personally I think we have strikers who are good enough to score goals at this level and we need to try to play more to their strengths. Hendry's probably been unlucky not to have one or two goals so far, but I also think he's looked very isolated at times.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:03 PM, Cagey said:

When he came in CD was singing Mikey's praises so it looks like he sees a striker in him so like his formation I doubt if he will change..

Mikey is a winger,nothing else.

I would never have Spoony in midfield. He is better wide  left. He is also a bit of a liability in midfield. He gave away a free kick at Ibrox & yesterday he had a couple of chances to take the ball off Campbell.

If we play to our strengths with players in there best position we can be top 6 this season. If Callum persists with square legs in round holes.

I'm not quite sure what MOH is to be honest. I don't think he's one or the other. Wotherspoon is always a solid performer wherever he plays, but I agree he is better off on the wing, or behind the strikers.

23 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

So you are happy with 1 clean sheet and over a goal a game conceded. We need to do better defensively. But this game is all about opinions. If not it would be boring. 

There's always room for improvement, but largely I think the defence has been fine (and our 'goals against' column is looking OK if you compare it to the rest of the league). I think the issue in most need of attention is our inability to score (only Motherwell, at the bottom of the league, have scored fewer goals than us). I also think that when we struggle to score it has the chain reaction of putting more pressure on our own defence.

37 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

So you are happy with 1 clean sheet and over a goal a game conceded. We need to do better defensively. But this game is all about opinions. If not it would be boring. 

Two contentious penalties and a deflected effort out of the seven,so ok stats imo,but goals for should be at least 4 better off ,that’s where the issues are 

Edited by dave mc

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

There's always room for improvement, but largely I think the defence has been fine (and our 'goals against' column is looking OK if you compare it to the rest of the league). I think the issue in most need of attention is our inability to score (only Motherwell, at the bottom of the league, have scored fewer goals than us). I also think that when we struggle to score it has the chain reaction of putting more pressure on our own defence.

I think the defence has generally been pretty solid & actually the set up has allowed Kerr to get forward a bit. However, when we are playing out from the back, their long-balls are woeful. Booth was a good attacking threat last season, & I'd like to see him play more often, he links up well with Wotherspoon.

8 hours ago, garydavidson said:

You aiming for 0-0 draws all season then? We are creating plenty so I can't see why the formation is such an issue? 

I would give May and Kane the benefit of the doubt as they have been out injured.

May has played 111 minutes - all from the bench and scored once.

Kane has played 101 minutes over three games (although he was an 89th minute sub in the second of those) and is yet to score.

Hendry has played 436 minutes and did score a perfectly good goal - who knows if that would have made all the difference if it had rightly stood.

Kane 101 mins over three games?

15 hours ago, Johnny B said:

We've not conceded more than 1 goal in a game barring Rangers, who are pumping everybody.

Of the 5 goals we've conceded in the other 6 games, 2 have been penalties. You then have the deflected effort against Aberdeen which is unlikely to be repeated. Motherwells goal was from 20 yards and down to the midfield.

If you believe the defence is guaranteed to concede every game then you cant actually be watching the games, as its quite clear they could do very little about the goals conceded aside from the Kilmarnock goal. So 1 defensive error leading to a goal in 6 games.

If Hendry, May, or MOH score one of their relatively simple chances at the weekend nobody is here claiming the system isn't working.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We've not conceded more than 1 goal in a game barring Rangers, who are pumping everybody.

Of the 5 goals we've conceded in the other 6 games, 2 have been penalties. You then have the deflected effort against Aberdeen which is unlikely to be repeated. Motherwells goal was from 20 yards and down to the midfield.

If you believe the defence is guaranteed to concede every game then you cant actually be watching the games, as its quite clear they could do very little about the goals conceded aside from the Kilmarnock goal. So 1 defensive error leading to a goal in 6 games.

If Hendry, May, or MOH score one of their relatively simple chances at the weekend nobody is here claiming the system isn't working.

I must be more clear in my statements; we are conceding on average more than one goal a game. You are a man that loves stats and that stat does not lie. You can dress it up as much as you like with penalties and deflected goals but it still adds up to on average over a goal a game conceded. The last statement again dressing up you do not mention the relatively simple chances missed by the opposition in the 7 games so far. Missed chances do not count. We can argue all the ifs in the world; the league table shows only games played, goals for, goals against and points. Come the end of the season the table will not show how the goals are are scored and what if chances. 

CD will continued with formation as is his prerogative and time will tell if the defence is solid. 

41 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I must be more clear in my statements; we are conceding on average more than one goal a game. You are a man that loves stats and that stat does not lie. You can dress it up as much as you like with penalties and deflected goals but it still adds up to on average over a goal a game conceded. The last statement again dressing up you do not mention the relatively simple chances missed by the opposition in the 7 games so far. Missed chances do not count. We can argue all the ifs in the world; the league table shows only games played, goals for, goals against and points. Come the end of the season the table will not show how the goals are are scored and what if chances. 

CD will continued with formation as is his prerogative and time will tell if the defence is solid. 

So are you of the opinion that the defence is the biggest issue to address at the moment?

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

I must be more clear in my statements; we are conceding on average more than one goal a game. You are a man that loves stats and that stat does not lie.

All stats need context.

We've played 7 games and in only one have conceded more than 1 goal.

We've played 7 games, including a trip to Ibrox, and conceded 5 goals from open play.

Its genuinely mental that you're complaining about the defence. In terms of amount of goals conceded per game we're the 5th best side in the league.

I don't like the system as it is ****ing desperate viewing, especially when i see players playing in roles that doesn't suit them.

It may give players like Ali McCann different experience but by **** does it stifle his attributes, which in turn stifles the return Saints will get for him.

This season has been boring shite mainly.

Agree a lot of the games so far have not been good to watch.

I think this becomes more obvious when watched on tv and no crowd as there is nothing to distract from the poor game.

The longer games are played this way I wonder if the pressure to have a more entertaining style will rise.

I d be interested to know what figures look like for purchasing these games.

I imagine low 100s for non season ticket purchases but could be wrong.