Saints v county

Salguodinmethven.

I’ve said it before, but we used to pack out the midfield and stop other teams getting into a rhythm. We’re now packing out the central defence & trying to play everything on the wings. It’s just not working. Our strikers (all 3 of them) are just onlookers.

It worries me that we are sticking to the system, rather than changing our tactics to try & beat the team in front of us. Doing the same thing each and every game, no matter the opposition just doesn’t work in modern football.

Couple of really frustrating things with this game. We we much the better team for the first 40 mins, but heads went when we lost the goal. Still an issue for me is that we are far too quiet. Arguably (although never would be given) there was a foul for their goal, but McCart was never in the ref's face to create doubt.

Conway had loads of opportunities/corners, but kept throwing in the same ball. County defence must have been loving that.

I think there are a few big red flags starting to appear and for Davidson to say "we're doing all the right things, and I believe it'll come" is a worry for me. We're not doing the right things. We're pumping cross after cross after cross into the opposition box and when it doesn't work there is no Plan B. I do not understand a game plan that involves hitting high crosses towards big defenders who will always find them very easy to defend against. Is Davidson studying the opposition each week and trying to adapt our play to exploit their weaknesses, or is he just pressing on with doing his own thing out of personal belief that it will work? When you look at some of our previous successful managers (in particular McInnes and Wright) they were very good at finding that switch or change in tactic that was needed to get the better of our opponents, but it worries me that we don't seem to be seeing that at the moment. We're very flat, predictable and one-dimensional.

I just watched the YouTube video that shows all 27 Stevie May goals from 2013/14. Not a single one of them came from a high cross, and I think only three of them came from any sort of cross at all (low, direct crosses from inside the box mainly). May is our best and most experienced striker but we are not playing to his strengths at all. He is never, ever going to thrive in this system, and probably wouldn't have even at his 2014 peak.

For all that I actually thought we looked OK up until the goal was scored, and May and Hendry showed some flashes of the link-up play they were producing last season. But in the second half we were really, really poor and just didn't seem to have any ideas of how to break them down. To me that stems from the instructions the players are being given and the way they're being asked to play, rather than mistakes being made or players not being good enough. 

Personally I'd like us to ditch the wing-back system, which would allow us to keep Hendry and May up front and use O'Halloran/Wotherspoon/McNamara as wide midfielders/wingers. I think that would give us better balance and a bit more nous to our attack.

P.S. What's going on with Ross County not wearing their away kit against us??