V(ideo) A(ssistant) R(eferee).

HOODLUM65

No point in introducing VAR if the folk operating can't arrive at the correct decision.

They have more time than the onfield Ref., with endless replays, slo-mos etc.

Seems like they are more intent on backing the Refs. decision.

How Newcastle didn't get a penalty v Chelsea, only the VAR judge will know.

17 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

No point in introducing VAR if the folk operating can't arrive at the correct decision.

But they have had 18 months training.

Saints have been on the wrong end of a few bad decisions this season but I am not convinced even with 3 or 4 minutes of slowed down repeats VAR is going to make things any better especially with the calibre of refs in this country.

There is a shortage of decent refs in this country so to have another 6 sitting in a studio on top of the 4th official s standing there just to keep the managers under control seems to be a big drain on teams.

Can anyone tell me how much it costs for a ref ,2 assistants and a 4th official seeing as they all get a big wedge to officiate at games.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, chips said:

To be introduced into Scottish football part of the way through next season (dunno why not the start)

41 clubs voted for 1 club against, wonder who the 1 club was, probably no hard to guess though  :D

To be introduced after December's World Cup final apparently. 

This is the earliest it can be prepared and introduced,  it's being reported.

Aye, which one club indeed?

Let's just wait and see if the number of penalties awarded to the one club decreases.

'Mon the VAR.

10 hours ago, chips said:

To be introduced into Scottish football part of the way through next season (dunno why not the start)

41 clubs voted for 1 club against, wonder who the 1 club was, probably no hard to guess though  :D

Rumour it was County.

9 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

To be introduced after December's World Cup final apparently. 

This is the earliest it can be prepared and introduced,  it's being reported.

Aye, which one club indeed?

Let's just wait and see if the number of penalties awarded to the one club decreases.

'Mon the VAR.

Will probably increase 

Not in favour of this at all, but I think it's difficult for the Scottish league to turn its back on something that the rest of the football world is increasingly embracing.

Don't understand how it can possibly be fair or OK to introduce it midway through a season. If a crucial point in the title race/relegation battle/whatever hinges on a VAR decision, clubs could quite rightly flag an imbalance if a crucial point earlier in the season was missed because VAR wasn't there.

I've totally misunderstood how VAR actually works, I always thought it was only used by the ref at his discretion, turns out I'm wrong (thankfully) Didn't realise there's a VAR team viewing and it's them that notify the ref if he's made a mistake which allows him to review his decision or if he needs assistance on maybe deciding if a challenge is red or yellow, ball over line etc etc. With the amount of f**k ups scottish refs have done lately it can only be a good thing if used correctly 

1 minute ago, chips said:

I've totally misunderstood how VAR actually works, I always thought it was only used by the ref at his discretion, turns out I'm wrong (thankfully) Didn't realise there's a VAR team viewing and it's them that notify the ref if he's made a mistake which allows him to review his decision or if he needs assistance on maybe deciding if a challenge is red or yellow, ball over line etc etc. With the amount of f**k ups scottish refs have done lately it can only be a good thing if used correctly 

If used correctly.:cool:

18 hours ago, chips said:

All getting 18 months training , this will be guid

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

Seems like my thoughts have been proven correct, after this weekend games.

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Not sure how they are going to introduce VAR at McDiarmid without having a big screen. Are all clubs getting big screens so the supporters know whats going on. 

It's been reported that the SPFL and SFA both want grounds to have big screens for VAR - it seems (probably unsurprisingly) their main concern is the need of broadcasters, rather than the need of fans in the ground.

I suspect we'll start to see VAR-friendly screens appearing at grounds but it'll probably take a bit of time.

The good news for Saints is that, because we finished so poorly in the league last season, we'll have the league's joint-lowest payment towards VAR set-up costs. Maybe that was the masterplan all along.

There's some info on it in this report:

https://www.glasgowworld.com/sport/football/var-technology-scotland-world-cup-spfl-roll-out-date-3774045

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Milan v Napoli & Napoli player goes down in the box.

Ref. doesn't give pen. VAR  intervene but can't make their minds' up & call for Ref. to view.

Ref. changes his mind and awards a penalty.

What's the point of having VAR folk who don't know if it's a penalty or not?

They are watching the same camera angles as the Ref. who decided it was a penalty.

11 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Once again VAR official can't recognise a penalty when he sees one in the Engerland v Germany game and calls the Ref. to take a look at the replays.

What are the VAR officials getting paid for?

Is that not because it's up to the ref to make the final decision? As far as I'm aware the VAR officials are only able to advise, not make decisions.

35 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Is that not because it's up to the ref to make the final decision? As far as I'm aware the VAR officials are only able to advise, not make decisions.

Ultimately the Ref. makes the final decision by blowing the whistle to restart play or award a penalty.

Not all Refs are called to review the monitor.

54 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Ultimately the Ref. makes the final decision by blowing the whistle to restart play or award a penalty.

Not all Refs are called to review the monitor.

I guess the ref views the monitor when either the ref or the VAR officials feel it might be a borderline decision and the ref needs to see it with his or her own eyes in order to make the call. I don't really see what the problem is with that?

11 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I guess the ref views the monitor when either the ref or the VAR officials feel it might be a borderline decision and the ref needs to see it with his or her own eyes in order to make the call. I don't really see what the problem is with that?

Agreed when it's borderline as you put it.

However you can agree or disagree with the incident I quoted, which was definitely not borderline.