Taxi For Davidson

George Grieve

5 hours ago, MySpazz said:

I could be wrong. But whatever he does, it's not working right now. We have got a poor team - agreed.

Where's Ambrose?

I'm trying to keep it in mind we ultimately appointed a rookie manager who is learning on the job. Last season was beyond anyones wildest dreams and it seemed at times everything he did went his way- I'm hoping he quickly figures things out and that he is backed/given the players required to sort our obvious flaws.

15 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Agree, but he dosent help himself at times

Criticism for footballing decisions maybe, not the vitriolic personal abuse. 

3 hours ago, SlickDT said:

I'm trying to keep it in mind we ultimately appointed a rookie manager who is learning on the job. Last season was beyond anyones wildest dreams and it seemed at times everything he did went his way- I'm hoping he quickly figures things out and that he is backed/given the players required to sort our obvious flaws.

Inexperienced as a manager in his own right agreed but he's an intelligent guy that has about eight years coaching/assistant manager behind him and is an apparently highly regarded coach so he's not in the Del class of inexperience when taking over. I'm beginning to wonder if he's playing the most risky game of poker ever after the summer's transfer fiascos!

3 hours ago, SlickDT said:

Hole in one at golf & others to numerous to mention. I have to assume he didn't do the lottery.

I keep trying to tell myself that we have a track record of standing by managers and that that policy has always worked out in the past. I also keep telling myself that this situation is not entirely Callum's fault and he deserves time to turn things around and re-build. At the moment I think Steve Brown will be telling himself those things too and that, no matter what happens in the next couple of games, Callum will be given the transfer window to try to rectify things.

I do worry about us pinning our hopes on this transfer window though. We're going to need to do some bloody impressive business to properly improve things and I'm far from convinced that will happen.

The thing that's just incredibly galling is that all of this feels very avoidable and it's all a result of bad planning and an overly-cautious approach, both on the pitch and off it.

1 hour ago, ballbogba said:

I'd personally like to think we'd give him until the end of the season. He earns that for me, after last season.

Many a manager/coach has been shown the door the season after a successful one, including legends. Some given far less time than Callum. Don’t think you can afford to be sentimental, irrespective of what has been achieved, if things go really pear shaped. Sometime you have to bite the bullet. Of course you might tolerate demotion and leave the incumbent in position, give him funds, and a free hand to bring in new blood, to ensure that you fly high and get back to the top level asap. Risky and might alienate fans.

Maybe CD can rescue the situation, and I would like to see him turn it around, but not because he was at the helm last season when we did what we did, but because he is simply the coach of the team I have supported for 60 years. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd be loathe to even give Davidson another transfer window, as so far he's made us weaker after every one.

I don't think we'll sack him this season but could fully see him bailing out to avoid a relegation being on his CV.

Or he will turn things round and make you eat your words again. 

As for not giving him another transfer window really can't see why they would not. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd be loathe to even give Davidson another transfer window, as so far he's made us weaker after every one.

I don't think we'll sack him this season but could fully see him bailing out to avoid a relegation being on his CV.

So you'd sack him? If so, who would you want to take his place?

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Or he will turn things round and make you eat your words again. 

As for not giving him another transfer window really can't see why they would not. 

I hope so, but nothing about what I hear about the window coming up fills me with any confidence at all.

He's built this squad and it's a complete shambles, and by most accounts we'll simply be chucking a few more short term fixes at it in January. 

We pretty much need an entire side in the Summer, which is a ridiculous position to be in considering the squad/contract situation he inherited.

50 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

So you'd sack him? If so, who would you want to take his place?

I still don't know. In an ideal world he focusing on the coaching/tactical side, let's someone bring in players to suit it, and learns how to adapt the style he wants to play to make it more attacking. I think it's more than possible that could happen if he took a step back to look at his situation.

I dont think its worth blindly sticking by him and getting relegated though. If we continue to meekly lose games, get cut adrift, and he continues to look clueless about how to improve it, I don't see what choice the club would have. I've no idea when you make that call though.

Edited by RandomGuy

8 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Many a manager/coach has been shown the door the season after a successful one, including legends. Some given far less time than Callum. Don’t think you can afford to be sentimental, irrespective of what has been achieved, if things go really pear shaped. Sometime you have to bite the bullet. Of course you might tolerate demotion and leave the incumbent in position, give him funds, and a free hand to bring in new blood, to ensure that you fly high and get back to the top level asap. Risky and might alienate fans.

Maybe CD can rescue the situation, and I would like to see him turn it around, but not because he was at the helm last season when we did what we did, but because he is simply the coach of the team I have supported for 60 years. 

Nothing I disagree with there. Thanks for the well-reasoned thoughts. 

I refer to last season though, because it shows he can turn a situation around. I think that's what I mean by earning it. And as you say, he's got my support because he's coaching our team. But then, I'm a very optimistic sort. Although this season is a tester!

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I hope so, but nothing about what I hear about the window coming up fills me with any confidence at all.

He's built this squad and it's a complete shambles, and by most accounts we'll simply be chucking a few more short term fixes at it in January. 

We pretty much need an entire side in the Summer, which is a ridiculous position to be in considering the squad/contract situation he inherited.

I still don't know. In an ideal world he focusing on the coaching/tactical side, let's someone bring in players to suit it, and learns how to adapt the style he wants to play to make it more attacking. I think it's more than possible that could happen if he took a step back to look at his situation.

I dont think its worth blindly sticking by him and getting relegated though. If we continue to meekly lose games, get cut adrift, and he continues to look clueless about how to improve it, I don't see what choice the club would have. I've no idea when you make that call though.

I think he has to be given January with some financial back to identify 2 key players. This chat of 3/4/5 players is ridiculous. I mean, I get it because we need bodies to make up for injuries but he needs to be given the chance to bring in a couple of quality players and then a run of fixtures to prove them as shrewd signings. 

You’re right, by then (I’d give him until 2nd March) it could be too late and we will be relegated but he deserves a chance to change/turn it around.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

17 hours ago, ballbogba said:

I'd personally like to think we'd give him until the end of the season. He earns that for me, after last season.

Even if that means getting relegated? Let's say we're maybe 7 or 8 points behind 10th place by, say, mid-late February, and we're still playing poorly and we'll still barely scoring goals. Do you still keep him until the end of the season no matter what, or do you give someone else a go? I think if it reaches that stage and we're not changing things, it probably means he's getting the summer window too.

The Jan window comes at a tricky time because there's not really going to be time for those players to bed in before a decision like that might have to be made. Whoever comes in is going to have to hit the ground running, and we know from past experience that Callum prefers to introduce most new signings veeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy slowly.

Would Davidson benefit from having some assistance on the training ground?  I'm thinking of the likes of Morris, Dasovic, Attila or such like, someone or more who aren't indoctrinated in this defensive mire his mind is locked in.  The present coaching setup doesn't appear to have anyone capable of offering solutions or changes.  

The way many of these players are playing it looks like he has lost the dressing room.  Maybe they felt cheated when Kerr and McCann were sold at the very last minute and have downed tools.  As said so often, don't have a good game as you're dropped for the next.  That cannot be good for team morale knowing some can playing very badly and still have a place.  New voice(s) could help.  

At the moment I cannot see any other team being relegated.  Nil-Nil won't get enough points.  

22 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It is also a worry about how many will be signing up to other clubs or possibly pushing for a move come January. 

All the stats are showing this to be our worst season since 2001/02 and we all know what happened there.

The comments Davidson made about Eetu were quite unacceptable considering some of the errors others have made both up top and at the back. Confidence is clearly gone from the squad and its insane how few shots on target we are registering.

Saying that I don't see much point in sacking him unless there is a guaranteed successor who could get a really decent squad together. January is the hardest window - every manager says that. At best we will get some in on loan but I don't think it is going to go as well as we need it to.

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

Wonder if it’s worth revisiting a certain Israeli… 

If ever we appeared to have unearthed a potential 'gem'... somebody that could actually put the ball in the net now and again.

Looking at where we are now it seems we messed up there big style but what do I know.

In fact, does anybody actually know?

Edited by Indicator

Just now, Indicator said:

If ever we appeared to have unearthed a potential 'gem'... somebody that could actually put the ball in the net now and again.

Looking at where we are now it seems we messed up there big style but what do I know.

In fact, does anybody know?

As far as I read we made an offer but his agent was aiming for something more, sure its the same agent that got Tanser his big move to St Mirren where he wouldn't have competition to worry about. 

26 minutes ago, Indicator said:

In fact, does anybody actually know?

His agent ****ed it for him here, and presumably would do so again if the move resurfaced.

By all accounts promised Melamed the world then couldn't deliver.