Taxi For Davidson

George Grieve

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Scoring regularly including last Friday. We lost a trick there. Amateurish.

Depressingly so.

Becoming a recurring theme. (Kerr & McCann).

Let's see what happens January window.

If still bottom, any decent signing would surely come in with a release clause covering possible relegation.

Edited by Indicator

33 minutes ago, Indicator said:

Depressingly so.

Becoming a recurring theme. (Kerr & McCann).

Let's see what happens January window.

If still bottom, any decent signing would surely come in with a release clause covering possible relegation.

Kerr and McCann were always going to go. Both ambitious young players but we should have tried harder to keep a guy capable of getting 15 a season at this level 

Re JK and AM. It was the manner of their departure that rankled with me. As you say it was always going to happen at some point so the lack of vision, forward planning and foresight is what I find difficult to understand.

We came out of a fantastically successful season after winning two major trophies and, presumably, in a far better financial position than many clubs in the division.

At this point in time it appears we have failed to take advantage of a very positive situation.

The thing is taking the cups aside this is a totally unacceptable position to be in.

I expect I will get loads of but but we were shite in the 80s type posts. I know I was there.

The club has progressed massively from then. Over our history we have now been in the top division more than we have not. Yes survival is still the goal but it should never be this precious and honestly there is little excuse as to why right now it is 

On 12/21/2021 at 1:21 PM, Indicator said:

Re JK and AM. It was the manner of their departure that rankled with me. As you say it was always going to happen at some point so the lack of vision, forward planning and foresight is what I find difficult to understand.

We came out of a fantastically successful season after winning two major trophies and, presumably, in a far better financial position than many clubs in the division.

At this point in time it appears we have failed to take advantage of a very positive situation.

Yes I agree, and as much as McCann wanted to go. No one forced him to sign a long term deal in Perth. We could have sold him for at least as much in summer 2022 so if we were to get relegated this year, really we’ll have lost 2 players this season that we didn’t NEED to let go. 

The £500k for Kerr will look like pocket change compared to the cost of going down. 

Too many loans, too many short term deals and a real lack of strategy it seems. We have lost our identity this season I think. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

Let’s be honest, CD inherited a good team, who were top six. He was determined to play, too stubborn to change his beloved front three when it clearly wasn’t working. This is despite him stating he wasn’t planning on drastically changing the way we play.

He keeps playing WINGERS as strikers! No wonder Middleton looks so fed up. Our actual strikers don’t score so how is this formation a good idea in his head?

Melamed was a season changing signing. I fear even another Melamed won’t save us. There are so many issues all over the park now. This system is obsolete. 

Up until the Motherwell games, I was confident that we would turn things around, however the performances in the past two games have sucked all enthusiasm out of me and its now clear that we are in deep trouble.

Given his achievements last season and the fact that changing a manager so close to such a crucial transfer window could be disruptive, I think we should stick with Davidson just now. History has proven over the past few years that clubs who were in a similar position to us just now, who did change their management team, found no real upturn in their fortunes. in fact for many of them it got worse after a change was made. Butcher at Hibs, Mixu at Dundee United and  McIntyre at Dundee all examples of that. Last season proved that Callum is a manager that can set up and coach a team well. He needs to become less stubborn and be more flexible with his tactics, but he hasn't just become a poor manager in the space of a few months.

I really hope that the club can get players in early in the January window and preferably players on permanent contracts rather than loans. There can be no excuses. I have my concerns about the fact there are four individuals involved in the recruitment process (Callum, Brown, Grieve and Boyd) and given comments on social media there already seems to be grievances between some of the individuals already, but hopefully the individuals can put these aside for the greater good. The big issue we will have is that clubs and agents will know that we are desperate and we will likely have to pay considerably more for any targets that we do have.

I dont think the blame for our current situation can be put down to one single person. There has been a number of factors that have led us to where we currently are. Our recruitment should have been better and done far earlier in the summer. We were and still are crying out for better options in an attacking sense.  I note that many are pointing the finger at Steve Brown for the way that Kerr and McCann were let go and given the benefit of hindsight I would be interested to hear if he would now change the way he handled that situation. In regards to Kerr, I think it was a no brainer. Given he could have signed a pre contract 6 months later, the deal we got at the time was good. In regards to McCann, we found ourselves in a situation where both the player and agent were pushing the deal, which was understandable given the life changing amounts of money he was being offered. Perhaps we could have stood our ground, but then you are left with an unhappy player and run the risk of a similar situation occurring as did with Danny Griffin who turned down Derby and then got injured and was never the same player again.

Throw in the above and the fact that we have a number of players coming to the end of their contracts who look like they would rather be elsewhere, players on short term loans and one or two players whose best day are behind them, then the perfect storm has been created.

I actually think the COVID shutdown may benefit us. I had very little confidence that we would take anything out of the three scheduled games and we could well have found ourselves even more detached at the bottom. Hopefully the break allows us to get players in and gives the whole club a chance to reflect on what is going wrong and try to address the issue's. Interesting few weeks ahead.....

Agree with everything you said above, @Aitchy.

On the subject of the numerous factors and errors that have lead us to our current situation, I'd go right back to allowing our greatest ever manager to become so unhappy that he walked out in the middle of a contract with no other job to go to, and start with that.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

On the subject of the numerous factors and errors that have lead us to our current situation, I'd go right back to allowing our greatest ever manager to become so unhappy that he walked out in the middle of a contract with no other job to go to, and start with that.

The ultimate irony being he'd have loved having a HoR to share the workload with him on recruitment and that's the sort of thing that could have persuaded him to stay.

My outlook is probably similar to @Aitchy whereby the tide has really turned now and I feel we are massively swimming against it.

This isn't fixed with the players that are already at the club.

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Agree with everything you said above, @Aitchy.

Shooulda woulda coulda 

2 hours ago, MySpazz said:

So what are people saying.... that they want Tommy Wright back?

Not for me- as bad as things look I think Callum has to be given this window to sort things out.

He has made it clear he knows the current squad of players aren't good enough and he needs 3-6 quality signings.

Whether he is able to pull that off or not is another question, but for me he has earned the right to do that.

I don't think Tommy necessarily has a magic wand and bringing him in would lead to guaranteed success. If and when Callum moves on (hopefully after turning things around) I'd like to see us look elsewhere for our new manager.

Interested in the answer to a theoretical question: if Davidson was to be sacked after the Celtic game (which I don't think he will be). Who would people want our new manager to be (given how few managers would be willing to come to a bottom of the table club)?

I'd go for McInnes.

I think Brown would go for Cleland until the end of the season, and make Craig a coach.