Taxi For Davidson

George Grieve

With our wage structure and Callum saying we need 4-6 signings is that his wish list or a realistic chance too happen?

Will players look at us as an attractive option to play at!

CD may end up with not much better then we currently have on the books after the window closes unfortunately.

Edited by pezza70

3 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

With our wage structure and Callum saying we need 4-6 signings is that his wish list or a realistic chance too happen?

Will players look at us as an attractive option to play at!

CD may end up with not much better then we currently have on the books after the window closes unfortunately.

He is going to need all last season's luck to pick up or persuade someone decent to commit to Saints in January.

His best hope is a decent loan and the only one of those we have had is Danny Mac.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Interested in the answer to a theoretical question: if Davidson was to be sacked after the Celtic game (which I don't think he will be). Who would people want our new manager to be (given how few managers would be willing to come to a bottom of the table club)?

I'd go for McInnes.

I think Brown would go for Cleland until the end of the season, and make Craig a coach.

I think Clelland & Craig til the end of the season is a distinct possibility.

Ah but do we keep Macca as striker coach ? :laugh:.

Edited by Cagey

If we were to sack Davidson (and at the moment I don't see that happening) it would surely have to be with the purpose of quickly replacing him with someone who can quickly turn things around. I don't see what logic there would be in giving him the boot and then just putting some combination of his existing coaching staff in charge until the end of the season. To me that would make no sense.

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If we were to sack Davidson (and at the moment I don't see that happening) it would surely have to be with the purpose of quickly replacing him with someone who can quickly turn things around. I don't see what logic there would be in giving him the boot and then just putting some combination of his existing coaching staff in charge until the end of the season. To me that would make no sense.

We're talking about Brown here, not about sensible decisions.

8 hours ago, pezza70 said:

I’m sure the potential payout costs associated in parting ways with CD plus either upgrading an assistants contract or bringing on someone knew is another reason CD will see out the season 

A decision like that will have us down. Action and money needed to rescue the situation 

13 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Good write up here from Spence. and makes the point....spend now, or lose millions in the championship.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2857029/jim-spence-st-johnstone-back-callum-davidson-millions-championship/

jesus, we had/have 5-7 million quid as a war fund and sat on it, and now will be ploughing into it for desperate rescue. If broon had used that right after we won the cups and pre-europe just think where we might be sitting now, used the double cup wins to propel us up a notch. This is what frustrates me the most, prudence fuked us and now wwe will spend anyway

14 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Good write up here from Spence. and makes the point....spend now, or lose millions in the championship.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2857029/jim-spence-st-johnstone-back-callum-davidson-millions-championship/

Likes a bit of shit stirring doesn’t he .should stick  tae Dundee United.

4 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

jesus, we had/have 5-7 million quid as a war fund and sat on it, and now will be ploughing into it for desperate rescue. If broon had used that right after we won the cups and pre-europe just think where we might be sitting now, used the double cup wins to propel us up a notch. This is what frustrates me the most, prudence fuked us and now wwe will spend anyway

Aye IF we do go on a spending spree wtf didn't we do it last summer before the European games.We have walked off a cliff from a position of strength 

I remember back in 1952 my pals and I decided not to go back to Muirton.  More accurately or fathers had so decided.  The reason was the sale of Paddy Buckley to Aberdeen which it was thought showed a lack of ambition by the Board in relation to the effort to get Saints into the old First Division.  We were back nonetheless the following week so I guess its too late now to make a stand!

5 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

jesus, we had/have 5-7 million quid as a war fund and sat on it

Saints quite clearly don't have £7m in the bank. It wasn't even £3m at the start of last season and what followed was a full season with no fans and no hospitality/function suite money.

The club then borrowed millions from the government which has to be paid back.

Jim Spence is literally the last person I'd bother believing. We probably have just under £5m in the accounts, with half of that to be paid back to the government, and he's decided there's a nice bit of shit stirring to be created there.

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

Aye IF we do go on a spending spree wtf didn't we do it last summer before the European games.We have walked off a cliff from a position of strength 

Summer was the time to strengthen and we might and probably advanced in Europe as we were only a bawhair away

We will struggle to bring anyone of quality in in January.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Saints quite clearly don't have £7m in the bank. It wasn't even £3m at the start of last season and what followed was a full season with no fans and no hospitality/function suite money.

The club then borrowed millions from the government which has to be paid back.

Jim Spence is literally the last person I'd bother believing. We probably have just under £5m in the accounts, with half of that to be paid back to the government, and he's decided there's a nice bit of shit stirring to be created there.

Yes repaid to the Government interest free over a 25 year period. 

Don't see him shit stirring he is simply staring what he believes and says he believes they could have that amount after taking everything into account..

Believe a few of the clubs have been discussing insurance payouts from last season aswell so if saints are included in that he may possibly taking part of that into account.

10 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Yes repaid to the Government interest free over a 25 year period. 

Don't see him shit stirring he is simply staring what he believes and says he believes they could have that amount after taking everything into account..

Believe a few of the clubs have been discussing insurance payouts from last season aswell so if saints are included in that he may possibly taking part of that into account.

We both know Saints will virtually discount the government money, and make sure they always have enough to pay it back + have money in the bank.

So you can write that off.

We still don't know how much Saints lost over the Covid season and we won't until next year. Loss of hospitality etc., will be 7 figures I'd think, potentially covered by player sales and prize money, but you don't earn much from actually winning the cups without attendance money.

Most realistic thing I could see would be the figures, after player sales, being just over £5m, with £2.6m set aside to repay the Government loan. 

So it would actually be £2.5m-£3m in the bank, while Spence claims its £7m and tries to get fans blaming the board for not spending a fortune this window.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We both know Saints will virtually discount the government money, and make sure they always have enough to pay it back + have money in the bank.

So you can write that off.

We still don't know how much Saints lost over the Covid season and we won't until next year. Loss of hospitality etc., will be 7 figures I'd think, potentially covered by player sales and prize money, but you don't earn much from actually winning the cups without attendance money.

Most realistic thing I could see would be the figures, after player sales, being just over £5m, with £2.6m set aside to repay the Government loan. 

So it would actually be £2.5m-£3m in the bank, while Spence claims its £7m and tries to get fans blaming the board for not spending a fortune this window.

disagree with this, any business with a free interest $2m loan with a 25 year payback will not be putting that aside to hold in reserve to pay back, why take the loan in that case. That would be stupidity, any business will see that as free working capital