Taxi For Davidson

George Grieve

3 hours ago, Aitchy said:

I think its a bit early to be writing off our new players. Last night was not great, but we had previously went three games undefeated, which was a big improvement on our form before the transfer window. I think Cleary has slotted in well and looks comfortable at this level, Gallacher has obvious qualities but needs to become a bit more streetwise, Hallberg has added much needed quality into midfield and whilst early days, Bair and Mahon on the face of it look like promising signings. 

January was always going to be a difficult month for us to bring players in. I am led to believe we tried to sign Jordan Jones, but when it is a choice of playing for a relegation threatened team or a team challenging for top 6 and still in the Scottish Cup, he was always going to chose St Mirren. Look at Forrest as well, why would he leave Livingston to come to us when there was is real possibility we will get relegated. It all goes back to the summer when we failed to add quality from a position of strength and sold our best two players on the last day of the window

I don't see us getting rid of Davidson anytime soon. Steve Brown wont have backed him to the extent he has and then sack him a few weeks later. The only way that may change is if we get completely detached at the bottom of the table and the support completely turn on Davidson, then the board would have a decision to make. I have criticised Davidson for many things this season, but as suggested elsewhere, I dont think the blame can be entirely placed on him. The Chairman and board should have supported the manager better in the summer transfer window and not rolled over when Preston came calling for McCann. The Head of Football Operations , the man responsible for convincing players to sign contracts could have done better, Zak Rudden the prefect example of that and finally the head of recruitment is not completely blameless either with some of his recommendation such as Eetu Vertainen looking completely out of his depth at this level. Combine all that with losing many key players (Rooney, Bryson, Spoony, MOH, Ciftci and Kane) and some horrendous referring decisions going against us, then its all contributed towards where we are now.

I personally feel that it will go right to the wire between us and Dundee. Both teams as bad as each other. 

I agree with a lot of what you say here and it's not my intention to write off the new players. Cleary and Hallberg certainly look like good signings at this stage. But as you say, a lot of the problems stem from further up the chain and I just worry that a lot of our new signings are sticking plasters that are not going to address the bigger issues that have left us bottom of the league. 

I really wouldn't agree that Vertainen looked completely out of his depth. For me he brought something a bit different to the team and looked no worse than any of our other under-performing forwards have been this season. When he made his debut from the bench against Rangers at McDiarmid I felt he made an immediate impact. It feels like since then he's had that style and confidence completely knocked out of him, and I'm not sure why. I really hope people's apparent confidence in Bair turns out to be merited, as to me his C.V. looks no better than Vertainen's.

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I really hope people's apparent confidence in Bair turns out to be merited, as to me his C.V. looks no better than Vertainen's.

From what I saw of them before they played for us, I'd say Vertainen is the better of the two, tbh. 

With Bair we just need to hope his sheer size causes problems for teams.

13 hours ago, blueheaven said:

For me, the transfer window was Davidson's last chance. He's chucked a load of the club's money at a huge haul of new players, and we're no better off than we were before. 

Changing the manager is the only option we have left and the board must act while there is still some glimmer of hope that we might at least finish 11th and get a play-off. As things stand, looking at the disarray the team is in and the fixtures we have coming up - we're on course to go straight down.

Ive always had you down as sensible but not now

On 2/10/2022 at 9:50 AM, Aitchy said:

I think its a bit early to be writing off our new players. Last night was not great, but we had previously went three games undefeated, which was a big improvement on our form before the transfer window. I think Cleary has slotted in well and looks comfortable at this level, Gallacher has obvious qualities but needs to become a bit more streetwise, Hallberg has added much needed quality into midfield and whilst early days, Bair and Mahon on the face of it look like promising signings. 

January was always going to be a difficult month for us to bring players in. I am led to believe we tried to sign Jordan Jones, but when it is a choice of playing for a relegation threatened team or a team challenging for top 6 and still in the Scottish Cup, he was always going to chose St Mirren. Look at Forrest as well, why would he leave Livingston to come to us when there was is real possibility we will get relegated. It all goes back to the summer when we failed to add quality from a position of strength and sold our best two players on the last day of the window

I don't see us getting rid of Davidson anytime soon. Steve Brown wont have backed him to the extent he has and then sack him a few weeks later. The only way that may change is if we get completely detached at the bottom of the table and the support completely turn on Davidson, then the board would have a decision to make. I have criticised Davidson for many things this season, but as suggested elsewhere, I dont think the blame can be entirely placed on him. The Chairman and board should have supported the manager better in the summer transfer window and not rolled over when Preston came calling for McCann. The Head of Football Operations , the man responsible for convincing players to sign contracts could have done better, Zak Rudden the prefect example of that and finally the head of recruitment is not completely blameless either with some of his recommendation such as Eetu Vertainen looking completely out of his depth at this level. Combine all that with losing many key players (Rooney, Bryson, Spoony, MOH, Ciftci and Kane) and some horrendous referring decisions going against us, then its all contributed towards where we are now.

I personally feel that it will go right to the wire between us and Dundee. Both teams as bad as each other. 

An accurate and well balanced view Aitchy.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:19 PM, Broggy Man said:

Ive always had you down as sensible but not now

I'm going to agree with you Broggy.

Out of character for BH blethering a load of pish. We aren't changing the manager and we haven't seen the new players in action so it's far too early to declare that they are no better than we have.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Out of character for BH blethering a load of pish. We aren't changing the manager and we haven't seen the new players in action so it's far too early to declare that they are no better than we have.

Agree they won't change the manager, but your point too early is where the biggest issue is, what we need is right here right now, we can't afford to bed in see how they go, we need results now, so the complete lack of forward planning in the summer regardless who is to blame is the issue. Its been the perfect storm, a poor recruitment strategy, managers tactics, injuries, aging players, loss of form, other years we would hear we'll be fine it's saints etc, this year is one too far, we are up shit creak at this moment, first half at paisley wasnt bad but we went back to previous form second half, we really need 6 or being greedy 9 out of the next three games to keep pressure on the diddies and others above.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

If you're going to say I'm "blethering a load of pish", could you at least make sure you've read what I actually said? I said "we're no better off than we were before" - meaning we're still bottom of the league, we're still losing games, and the failings that have dogged us all season were still present during our most recent match.

Also, we have seen the new players in action. I think Hector-Ingram is the only one who hasn't had any game time yet. And as for "we aren't changing the manager" - I've never said that we are.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

If you're going to say I'm "blethering a load of pish", could you at least make sure you've read what I actually said? I said "we're no better off than we were before" - meaning we're still bottom of the league, we're still losing games, and the failings that have dogged us all season were still present during our most recent match.

Also, we have seen the new players in action. I think Hector-Ingram is the only one who hasn't had any game time yet. And as for "we aren't changing the manager" - I've never said that we are.

Come on BH; you said changing the manager is the only option we have and the board must act now! What is it?

The new players haven't had long enough time to determine whether they are going to change our fortunes.

I fear that the last bus has left but it's too late in the day now, the die is cast and we have to hope that we get a break and get that play off spot.

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Come on BH; you said changing the manager is the only option we have and the board must act now! What is it?

Yes, my opinion is that the board must act now (well, last week) and changing the manager is our only remaining option. Doesn't mean I'm saying it will happen though, does it?

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

The new players haven't had long enough time to determine whether they are going to change our fortunes.

I fear that the last bus has left but it's too late in the day now, the die is cast and we have to hope that we get a break and get that play off spot.

So either you think the new players can still change our fortunes if given time, or you think it's too late? That feels like a contradiction to me.

Which part of what I said was "a load of pish"? Because it now sounds like you're partly saying the same things that I said.