Taxi For Davidson

George Grieve

13 hours ago, dave mc said:

Hindsight is wonderful,how many expected to beat either team? If the board had thrown money about,and we still went out,they’d be castigated.Making the squad stronger for the league is another issue,and they didn’t deliver

But the board has thrown money about. They've just waited until we're on the verge of relegation to do it. I've never called for the board to needlessly spend, but it was obvious before this season started that we needed to bring in a striker to help with our goalscoring problems and ideally a central midfielder to cover for Craig/Davidson/Bryson's ageing legs and McCann's possible departure. We didn't strengthen at all - in fact we arguably weakened - and as a result we lost out on a bumper pay from Europe (Galatasaray and LASK were both better than us, but not unbeatable) and we're now close to losing our place in the Premier League (suddenly it's not just Galatasaray and LASK who are better than us, but Dundee and Ross County).

None of this is said with hindsight. Loads of fans were saying these same things at the time.

11 hours ago, Evansabove said:

Our first aim had always to avoid relegation. If more people went to games or bought season tickets then maybe Callum would have a bit more to spend . There’s a section about great signings . You’ll note when these signings were made the crowds were up so they could afford to do it . Think the tv deals were a lot better then as well . 
  Different times . 
  Don’t greet to me if the manager is still here next season . 
   Go and do something about it if you ain’t happy . 
 Other clubs fans try to get their managers out . Put your name against it . We can see who the next manager is . Give you a pat on the back . Give all the WAPmafia a big round of applause . 

Great - can't wait for the open top bus to come out when we finish 10th (which we almost certainly won't). You, Callum and the board can throw a huge party to celebrate what a wonderful achievement that is.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

But the board has thrown money about. They've just waited until we're on the verge of relegation to do it. I've never called for the board to needlessly spend, but it was obvious before this season started that we needed to bring in a striker to help with our goalscoring problems and ideally a central midfielder to cover for Craig/Davidson/Bryson's ageing legs and McCann's possible departure. We didn't strengthen at all - in fact we arguably weakened - and as a result we lost out on a bumper pay from Europe (Galatasaray and LASK were both better than us, but not unbeatable) and we're now close to losing our place in the Premier League (suddenly it's not just Galatasaray and LASK who are better than us, but Dundee and Ross County).

None of this is said with hindsight. Loads of fans were saying these same things at the time.

So you could tell last season, that Muzz ,Craig and Bryson's legs would go? A striker was needed, we got one, he was deemed not good enough,we got Crawford and McPherson in midfield 

Edited by dave mc

26 minutes ago, dave mc said:

So you could tell last season, that Muzz ,Craig and Bryson's legs would go? A striker was needed, we got one, he was deemed not good enough,we got Crawford and McPherson in midfield 

16 hours ago, dave mc said:

Making the squad stronger for the league is another issue,and they didn’t deliver

1 hour ago, dave mc said:

Murray Davidson's 33, Liam Craig and Craig Bryson are 35, so yes we've known for a while that our central midfield was going to need younger legs. If the striker you're talking about is Eetu, he wasn't signed in time for the European games and doesn't seem to be considered an out-and-out striker anyway. Crawford and MacPherson were also not signed in time for the European games.

If we'd signed a good central midfielder and good striker in the summer, instead of panic-signing seven or eight players (several of whom have so far struggled to even get a game) in January when we were bottom of the league, I think we'd have spent less money and we'd be further up the table.

I would keep CD even if relegated.  He has given Saints their greatest season ever, had the heart ripped from his team and poor backing at board level and terrible luck with injuries to key players.  Excellent coach who should be given another window to shape his squad.  I accept I am generous to managers, hate seeing knee jerk sackings, expensive, disruptive and no guarantee of success. 

tin hat on!

14 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

I would keep CD even if relegated.  He has given Saints their greatest season ever, had the heart ripped from his team and poor backing at board level and terrible luck with injuries to key players.  Excellent coach who should be given another window to shape his squad.  I accept I am generous to managers, hate seeing knee jerk sackings, expensive, disruptive and no guarantee of success. 

tin hat on!

Too many people are misconstruing the anger felt by Saints fans.

It is a misconception that most Saints fans want Davidson sacked immediately because he is a terrible manager - with comparisons made to the tenure of John Connolly. That is a very small number of the support who want a knee jerk sacking.

Rather, some Saints fans don’t believe he should be given unlimited time based solely on last season’s cup wins and stubborn performance vs Galatasaray. The frustration is that we shouldn’t be blindly accepting the talent of a manager when he stubbornly sticks to a single system that has yielded very little. Secondly, Davidson’s reluctance to play his new signings has been extremely frustrating.

Davidson will always be remembered as the cup double winning manager who had the heart ripped out of his team and given the benefit of the doubt that it was unforeseen or the chairman didn’t want to back him while Kerr and McCann still had substantial offers on the table.

He can’t last forever on this good will though.

14 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

tin hat on!

I think most Saints fans would agree that we'd like to see Callum succeed, and the horrific run of injuries combined with ludicrous refereeing decisions have perhaps made things appear worse than they are.

But personally it's his lack of flexibility, his continued poor use of substitutes and his stubbornness to not throw new players straight in and see what they can do that makes me think he just isn't up to it.

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong but he's giving me no reason to believe he's learning from any of it.

On 2/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Away back to supporting whichever shower of shite you supported before infecting this forum. Dundee United Mad or Bawarmy is missing you! We won’t!

For someone that doesn’t support this great wee team …….. fairly going all over the country . Tickets bought for Dingwall and Easter Rd . 
Is it true that Callum turned down the Aberdeen job cause he’s already at the 3rd best team in Scotland ;)

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

tin hat on!

Obviously too intelligent for this forum . 

44 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

I think most Saints fans would agree that we'd like to see Callum succeed, and the horrific run of injuries combined with ludicrous refereeing decisions have perhaps made things appear worse than they are.

But personally it's his lack of flexibility, his continued poor use of substitutes and his stubbornness to not throw new players straight in and see what they can do that makes me think he just isn't up to it.

I'll be very happy to be proved wrong but he's giving me no reason to believe he's learning from any of it.

Thankfully the folk in charge of the club couldn’t give 2 monkeys what you thought . 

7 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Great - can't wait for the open top bus to come out when we finish 10th (which we almost certainly won't). You, Callum and the board can throw a huge party to celebrate what a wonderful achievement that is.

They’ll maybe make it a joint celebration with the cups from last season . 
   There will be a celebration if we get ourselves out this predicament. You can see that folk really don’t want Callum to do well for some reason . Makes it all the more sweeter for him when he does . 

I think Davidson should stay purely on the basis that the time to have sacked him would have been after the Kelty game.  

The board backed him with signings and sacking him now would be a mistake.  Can't see who we'd get in unless we want a McGhee-esque appointment.

Given the cup double I think he should stay until at least the summer.  I'd give him one more window to try and get us promoted if we end up in the championship.  Would hate to think after last season that it ends with a relegation.

36 minutes ago, south inch said:

Pity Eve Muirhead is not a football manager.  4 - 0 down to the reigning champions after one end and still inspired her team to win.

Next medal she parades at McDiarmid will be silver at least.

9th end sweep stop sweep stop sweep stop. Does the woman know what's she's doing ?:P.

Great comeback. Hopefully Scotland can win UKs only golds.

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Too many people are misconstruing the anger felt by Saints fans.

It is a misconception that most Saints fans want Davidson sacked immediately because he is a terrible manager - with comparisons made to the tenure of John Connolly. That is a very small number of the support who want a knee jerk sacking.

Rather, some Saints fans don’t believe he should be given unlimited time based solely on last season’s cup wins and stubborn performance vs Galatasaray. The frustration is that we shouldn’t be blindly accepting the talent of a manager when he stubbornly sticks to a single system that has yielded very little. Secondly, Davidson’s reluctance to play his new signings has been extremely frustrating.

Davidson will always be remembered as the cup double winning manager who had the heart ripped out of his team and given the benefit of the doubt that it was unforeseen or the chairman didn’t want to back him while Kerr and McCann still had substantial offers on the table.

He can’t last forever on this good will though.

Sums everything about new generation saints fans . Deluded 

4 minutes ago, JDee said:

I think Davidson should stay purely on the basis that the time to have sacked him would have been after the Kelty game.  

The board backed him with signings and sacking him now would be a mistake.  Can't see who we'd get in unless we want a McGhee-esque appointment.

Given the cup double I think he should stay until at least the summer.  I'd give him one more window to try and get us promoted if we end up in the championship.  Would hate to think after last season that it ends with a relegation.

Jason it’s not about if you think he should stay . He is staying so you’re either behind him or you ain’t .
  Folk moaning every week about the way he manages the team , his tactics , his subs . It’s boring . 
 He’s not gonna change . The only thing that will change will be personnel unless they change the manager . 

5 minutes ago, Evansabove said:

Jason it’s not about if you think he should stay . He is staying so you’re either behind him or you ain’t .
  Folk moaning every week about the way he manages the team , his tactics , his subs . It’s boring . 
 He’s not gonna change . The only thing that will change will be personnel unless they change the manager . 

You do understand that we can be behind St Johnstone but not the manager? Most football fans will have a moan when they aren't happy with the way the team is playing. It's kinda how being a fan works. It's nice for you that everything is rose-tinted but that doesn't make you right and everybody else wrong.

18 minutes ago, Evansabove said:

Sums everything about new generation saints fans . Deluded 

Whereas your attitude sums up the older generation that's completely fixed on the bad old days.

"Hey, it might be shite now but I remember when we couldn't beat Albion Rovers." 

The success on the pitch should be a catalyst but it's routinely just a missed opportunity. 

You're allowed an opinion as are others. And while the club may have made the decision to stick by Davidson some fans do agree and that will be reflected on here. 

25 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

You do understand that we can be behind St Johnstone but not the manager? Most football fans will have a moan when they aren't happy with the way the team is playing. It's kinda how being a fan works. It's nice for you that everything is rose-tinted but that doesn't make you right and everybody else wrong.

You wanted Kelty to win,I’ve never known that of a fan in my life