Saints v Brechin, Betfred Cup, 10 Oct 2020

Salguodinmethven.

58 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I thought that match could easily have been an embarrassing banana skin for us when you consider our form and our struggle to score goals - so to not only win, but win 7-0, should come as a big boost to everyone I think.

That said, I was a bit taken aback by just how bad Brechin were. I reckon they might be candidates for the worst team I've ever seen Saints play against. Shame really, as I've always quite liked them. They've plummeted three divisions in three years and finished bottom of their league three seasons in a row - that's got to be pretty rare. Anyone know what's happened to make them free-fall so badly in such a short space of time?

Similar to St Johnstone in the mid 80’s or thereabouts?

More examples in England over the years.

Edited by andrew

4 hours ago, andrew said:

Similar to St Johnstone in the mid 80’s or thereabouts?

More examples in England over the years.

Just had a look - we had a bad run from 83-86 but it wasn't quite as bad as Brechin's as we didn't finish bottom three seasons in a row. According to Wiki we finished 9th in the Prem, then 14th in Division 1, then 6th in Division 2. 

Just spotted that Luton Town had three consecutive relegations from 2006-2009.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Just had a look - we had a bad run from 83-86 but it wasn't quite as bad as Brechin's as we didn't finish bottom three seasons in a row. According to Wiki we finished 9th in the Prem, then 14th in Division 1, then 6th in Division 2. 

Just spotted that Luton Town had three consecutive relegations from 2006-2009.

I seem to recall there was a point in the Division 2 season, probably early on, when we were indeed bottom. It was a grim, grim period.

16 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

They were promoted to the Championship (they’ve only had two relegations) as a bit of a fluke, stretched themselves to compete there, got relegated without winning a game, lost their whole team, and it has spiralled. At times, they have been almost literally a pub team as they struggled to find players, It would have been better for them to have dropped out & rebuilt in non-league. Shame, because they are a decent club.

But they weren't demoted, quite likely on account of their chaiman also being on the SPFL board!

6 hours ago, MySpazz said:

But they weren't demoted, quite likely on account of their chaiman also being on the SPFL board!

Maybe, but they'd still have had to lose a play-off for that to happen to them. I suspect if Brechin dropped out of the league they might find it pretty difficult to return.

What struck me with Brechin is who are their players? Where are the names you know and, across that league, where are the lower league journeymen? They seem to only have those on their last legs (Martin Scott) or kids. 

Then you look at the Kelty team midweek and there is your answer. These Lower League teams in particular seem to be able to attract players ahead of League Two clubs. In contrast to Brechin, their team was packed with guys you knew. 

Suspect we could see a fair changing of the guard in the next seasons and more SPFL clubs going the way of Berwick and East Stirlingshire. Whilst Kelty would be a welcome addition having put a lot into their ground/community and have an established fan base, the worry is that league places are secured by essentially franchise clubs like BSC Glasgow, East Kilbride and Caledonian Braves. That doesn't help Scottish football. 

Although rather 42 Caledonian Braves than colt teams right enough... 

24 minutes ago, Radford 72 said:

Suspect we could see a fair changing of the guard in the next seasons and more SPFL clubs going the way of Berwick and East Stirlingshire. Whilst Kelty would be a welcome addition having put a lot into their ground/community and have an established fan base, the worry is that league places are secured by essentially franchise clubs like BSC Glasgow, East Kilbride and Caledonian Braves. That doesn't help Scottish football. 

Although rather 42 Caledonian Braves than colt teams right enough... 

In general I think it's really healthy for the Scottish game to have an active pyramid system that allows ambitious small clubs to rise up through the ranks. We've seen with ICT and Ross County just how far some of these clubs can come when given the opportunity. But the nostalgic luddite in me can't help but feel a pang of sadness about the loss from the league of clubs we all grew up with like East Stirling and Berwick. I really hope Brechin manage to avoid that drop.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Not quite (according to Wiki), but they have had quite a lot of ups and downs over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carlisle_United_F.C._seasons

I think it was Northampton I was thinking about they started and finished the 1960’s in Division 4 and were in Div1 in 1964/65. The period with Carlisle I mentioned they were actually top of Div 1 for a spell.