Saints v Brechin, Betfred Cup, 10 Oct 2020

Salguodinmethven.

6 hours ago, south inch said:

Thought they were 7 points adrift when the Covid closure came,

They weren't in an automatic relegation spot.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Brora & Kelty wanted a play off with the winners playing Brechin which is what would have happened if those teams had finished in the positions they were in at the end of the season.

Kelty hadn't even confirmed top spot (6pts ahead of Bonnyrigg, who had a game in hand), so they can hardly bleat about how they'd be denied a guaranteed promotion when they weren't even guaranteed a play off spot.

None of the play offs were held at any level.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

They weren't in an automatic relegation spot.

Kelty hadn't even confirmed top spot (6pts ahead of Bonnyrigg, who had a game in hand), so they can hardly bleat about how they'd be denied a guaranteed promotion when they weren't even guaranteed a play off spot.

None of the play offs were held at any level.

That’s a little disingenuous. It was obvious the Lowland League was going to be called “as it stands”, and it was shortly afterwards. Given the lower leagues still havent started, there would have been plenty of time for play-offs.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:12 AM, RandomGuy said:

They weren't demoted because they weren't in an automatic relegation spot.

They weren't demoted or faced with the prospect because their chairman was on the SPFL board.

Brora Rangers might also disagree with you https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/spfl/2201615/brora-rangers-boss-steven-mackay-questions-brechin-city-being-spared-relegation-as-hearts-partick-thistle-and-stranraer-face-the-drop-after-spfl-vote/

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

They weren't demoted or faced with the prospect because their chairman was on the SPFL board.

They weren't "demoted" because they weren't in an automatic relegation spot.

No team in a play off spot when the season was ended had to play in the play offs, so absolutely no idea why you've singled out Brechin.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

They weren't "demoted" because they weren't in an automatic relegation spot.

No team in a play off spot when the season was ended had to play in the play offs, so absolutely no idea why you've singled out Brechin.

Brechin got lucky, and in part the influence their chairman had on how the leagues were decided. 

Not singling out anyone, They were where they were....and got off the hook of playing Brora who i reckon would have tonked them.

9 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Brechin got lucky, and in part the influence their chairman had on how the leagues were decided. 

Not singling out anyone, They were where they were....and got off the hook of playing Brora who i reckon would have tonked them.

You have singled Brechin out. 

They got as "lucky" as Hamilton, QOS and Forfar, yet you're not claiming some conspiracy saved their place in their divisions.

As for Brora, again, they weren't even guaranteed a shot at Brechin (if the play offs were played they'd have to have beaten Kelty first), so it's bizarre you're claiming they were almost guaranteed promotion.

I may be wrong here, (probably) but I recall that when brora last had a chance 4/5 years ago of playoffs possible promotion to division 2 , they decided to forfiet as they said they couldn't afford to travel all over Scotland for away games, some trek to central belt right enough and Ayrshire etc... Probably some gossip I picked up and believed though.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

You have singled Brechin out. 

They got as "lucky" as Hamilton, QOS and Forfar, yet you're not claiming some conspiracy saved their place in their divisions.

As for Brora, again, they weren't even guaranteed a shot at Brechin (if the play offs were played they'd have to have beaten Kelty first), so it's bizarre you're claiming they were almost guaranteed promotion.

Keep on Random, keep on.

Brechin were in the postition, i never singled them out, that's a fact - they were in the play offs, they'd have met a winning team in the lower league and on the showing we saw the other day, they'd have lost.

Their chairman had a vote on the board of the league, to determine how things would play out.

Nothing against Brechin - you seem to have a soft spot for them so maybe you are glad they got a bye.

The other teams you mentioned were in divisions not bottom of the pile on the cusp of mostly likely going out of the league.

3 hours ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

I may be wrong here, (probably) but I recall that when brora last had a chance 4/5 years ago of playoffs possible promotion to division 2 , they decided to forfiet as they said they couldn't afford to travel all over Scotland for away games, some trek to central belt right enough and Ayrshire etc... Probably some gossip I picked up and believed though.

No I think you are right.  We were in Nairn on holiday at the time and our taxi driver did not have a good word to say for Brora, thought they should be kicked out of the Highland League.  Not sure if Nairn County lost out because of Brora's success but the way the guy went on I think they may have.

17 hours ago, MySpazz said:

What a lot of pish. The play offs were abandoned and the automatic relegation spots stood, ALL clubs voted on this. To say the Brechin chairman had an influence on this is just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Keep on Random, keep on.

Brechin were in the postition, i never singled them out, that's a fact - they were in the play offs, they'd have met a winning team in the lower league and on the showing we saw the other day, they'd have lost.

Their chairman had a vote on the board of the league, to determine how things would play out.

Nothing against Brechin - you seem to have a soft spot for them so maybe you are glad they got a bye.

The other teams you mentioned were in divisions not bottom of the pile on the cusp of mostly likely going out of the league.

Brechin were in a play off spot, just like the 3 clubs I mentioned.

The whole SPFL, as in the individual clubs, voted to not play any play offs.

Its not difficult.

6 hours ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

It was true at that stage 

They have progressed some way since then and definitely up for it now (Pre .Covid)which may or may not have changed it a bit 

56 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

It was true at that stage 

They have progressed some way since then and definitely up for it now (Pre .Covid)which may or may not have changed it a bit 

Cheers for confirmation, good luck to them nowadays then and hopefully covid doesn't ruin them or any other Scottish teams.

10 hours ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

I may also be wrong, but my memory is they automatically got to the play-off as winners of the HL because there was no Lowland League at that point. They made it clear they had no intention of moving up if they won, but were threatened with sanctions. Weren’t they 2-0 or 1-0 up in the play-off with minutes to go, then - shockeroonie - the other team scored several in the last few minutes and stayed up. It was their players threatening to leave if they were promoted that was the problem.

19 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I may also be wrong, but my memory is they automatically got to the play-off as winners of the HL because there was no Lowland League at that point. They made it clear they had no intention of moving up if they won, but were threatened with sanctions. Weren’t they 2-0 or 1-0 up in the play-off with minutes to go, then - shockeroonie - the other team scored several in the last few minutes and stayed up. It was their players threatening to leave if they were promoted that was the problem.

My memory has it as 2 legs 

Won at home and kinda deliberately lost away game..Different ambitions now though. 

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Was the other team Montrose?

I have connections to Brora as my wife’s family live there and go to watch them when up there so see them a few times each year.

The Brora not wanting to come up and throwing the game against Montrose is a bit of a myth that’s grown over the years.

What is true is that in the build up the Brora chairman did express concerns as to how it would work for the club to be in the Scottish league with the traveling involved and extra costs, also the small size of their support. They went into the games giving it a good go though.

When Brora played Kilmarnock in the cup there were 400 fans in the Away end at Rugby Park, that equates to a third of the village.

They didn’t forfeit or throw the game against Montrose, I was as all the games, they played Edinburgh City and beat them over two legs.

They beat Montrose in Brora but in the second leg with the score at 1-1 they had their best player and captain Steven MacKay sent off around half time.

Montrose did score two late goals but not because Brora threw it, it was two late goals scored against a tired 10 men playing  a fourth tough game in a short period of time.

Having seen how well Cove have done I think Brora now most definitely want promotion, a play off with Kelty would have been very close, I think both teams would have won their home games with whichever team who won beating Brechin, We ll never know though.

The team back when they played Montrose had a lot of older ex Inverness and Ross County players, now Steven MacKay is the manager and they have a younger team.

Not sure what the play off situation is at end of this year, Lowland league are aiming to play full season whereas Highland league are playing a shortened season so possibly the Highland league winners could be fresher for play offs.

40 minutes ago, Strawman said:

I have connections to Brora as my wife’s family live there and go to watch them when up there so see them a few times each year.

The Brora not wanting to come up and throwing the game against Montrose is a bit of a myth that’s grown over the years.

What is true is that in the build up the Brora chairman did express concerns as to how it would work for the club to be in the Scottish league with the traveling involved and extra costs, also the small size of their support. They went into the games giving it a good go though.

When Brora played Kilmarnock in the cup there were 400 fans in the Away end at Rugby Park, that equates to a third of the village.

They didn’t forfeit or throw the game against Montrose, I was as all the games, they played Edinburgh City and beat them over two legs.

They beat Montrose in Brora but in the second leg with the score at 1-1 they had their best player and captain Steven MacKay sent off around half time.

Montrose did score two late goals but not because Brora threw it, it was two late goals scored against a tired 10 men playing  a fourth tough game in a short period of time.

Having seen how well Cove have done I think Brora now most definitely want promotion, a play off with Kelty would have been very close, I think both teams would have won their home games with whichever team who won beating Brechin, We ll never know though.

The team back when they played Montrose had a lot of older ex Inverness and Ross County players, now Steven MacKay is the manager and they have a younger team.

Not sure what the play off situation is at end of this year, Lowland league are aiming to play full season whereas Highland league are playing a shortened season so possibly the Highland league winners could be fresher for play offs.

Fancy coming on here and ruining our misinformed speculation with actual facts......