Saints v Brechin, Betfred Cup, 10 Oct 2020

Salguodinmethven.

3 hours ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

Stroll in the park, but nice result, when did we last get 7 in a game? Last time I remember was against East Stirling in about 1982 or 3. My only grump why not let spoony take the penalty to get a deserved hatrick (possibly). 

Hendry on Twitter thanking spoony for letting him take pen obviously hoping to boost his confidence 

We won 7-0. SEVEN FECK*N NIL. When was was the last time a Saints fan said that?

May was rubbish and scored a hat trick.

Spoony is a useless greedy b'stard and scored two. 

Muzz could'nt hit a barn door from two yards. But he scored. Even Hendry scored.

We also missed a load more chances but so what, it does'nt matter, we won seven nil.

SEVEN FECK*N NIL..

30 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

Hendry on Twitter thanking spoony for letting him take pen obviously hoping to boost his confidence 

If taking and scoring s penalty boosts his confidence good luck

But if you could not score from open play today you are sadly lacking. He should have stood back and let Spoony get his hat trick. Would he demanded ball if he was on a hat trick? Mmmmm.

55 minutes ago, south inch said:

Thanks Sixties, should have remembered was at the game.  Also, at the final I was standing beside a Partick fan and we discussed the game.  Happy days, no segregation - still say Bertie Auld's goal was offside -  we could see that clear as day from the other end.

Do you remember the Dumbarton game or will we wait for our friend to confirm or correct?

Let's see how his memory is, will be o  google aw night now, and yes Auld was off side.

5 minutes ago, cristo said:

We won 7-0. SEVEN FECK*N NIL. When was was the last time a Saints fan said that?

May was rubbish and scored a hat trick.

Spoony is a useless greedy b'stard and scored two. 

Muzz could'nt hit a barn door from two yards. But he scored. Even Hendry scored.

We also missed a load more chances but so what, it does'nt matter, we won seven nil.

SEVEN FECK*N NIL..

If we do not win another game this season. We can hold our heads high and day we beat Brechin City SEVEN FECK* NIL...

30 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

If we do not win another game this season. We can hold our heads high and day we beat Brechin City SEVEN FECK* NIL...

My post was aimed at the miserable few who can't just be happy with a decent few days work. Yeah, it was only Kelty and Brechin.

Your team scored seven goals today ffs.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Absolutely incredible you can win a game 7-0 and still get criticised.

I was at an Aberdeen - Raith League Cup game years ago - 1983? Aberdeen were 9-0 up with 20 to play. The Raith goalie was a young lad, who was on the point of tears. The Aberdeen players clearly felt enough was enough, and just passed the ball around until full-time whilst the crowd bayed for 10. It finished 9-0 - NINE NIL - and the Aberdeen team was booed off the park.

Realistically, you can only beat what's put in front of you. 

Regardless of the quality of opposition it's a senior game. The goals count. We can see from the reaction of the players what it meant for Hendry to get his goal etc.

It's a big win all round in more ways than just the score.

12 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Realisiticly we cannot beat a Premier League team when it is put in front of them. Now quote our win.

That's not factually correct though. Is it? 

The bigger picture is that this win will only have boosted individual players confidence and overall team spirit.

Some positives to take from the game. Yeah it was Brechin who in theory we should be beating however 7 goals is a very good result and especially when you look back to this time last year. We are actually playing some decent football and just lacking the final product in the league. If we have to forfeit any games in the league cup because of COVID we would be giving away 3 goals as well as the 3 points so the more goals we got the better. 

My only concern is the sitters we apparently missed. If these are the only chances we get in the league and are not scoring them then its a problem. Dont think we can work with needing 5 good chances in order to score 1 goal.

Goals were on instagram today, well sort of. I presume they cant show them properly at the moment but will do eventually.

I thought that match could easily have been an embarrassing banana skin for us when you consider our form and our struggle to score goals - so to not only win, but win 7-0, should come as a big boost to everyone I think.

That said, I was a bit taken aback by just how bad Brechin were. I reckon they might be candidates for the worst team I've ever seen Saints play against. Shame really, as I've always quite liked them. They've plummeted three divisions in three years and finished bottom of their league three seasons in a row - that's got to be pretty rare. Anyone know what's happened to make them free-fall so badly in such a short space of time?

They were promoted to the Championship (they’ve only had two relegations) as a bit of a fluke, stretched themselves to compete there, got relegated without winning a game, lost their whole team, and it has spiralled. At times, they have been almost literally a pub team as they struggled to find players, It would have been better for them to have dropped out & rebuilt in non-league. Shame, because they are a decent club.