Hamilton v Saints

THE LARK SAINT

3 hours ago, south inch said:

Thought our bench looked good today.

Think you are obliged to list 2 youngsters on the bench for the Betfred but would not put money on it.

Was going to say that in my post. We may have a small squad but we have a strong bench.

The 8 goal aggregate is not a record between the teams.

Aggregate of 9 goals--Season 1925/26 in the old Div.1 when Accies  won 7-2. at home.

Bettered in Dec.55 when Saints won 7-3 at home in the old (B) Division. (Remember the players well).

However, in 1937 Saints won 6-3 at home in Aug., only to be bettered by Accies in the away fixture in Sept. when they turned the tables by defeating Saints 8-3.

Looks like Saints had 2 personnel changes for the return fixture.

So Accies hold the record.

9 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

The 8 goal aggregate is not a record between the teams.

Aggregate of 9 goals--Season 1925/26 in the old Div.1 when Accies  won 7-2. at home.

Bettered in Dec.55 when Saints won 7-3 at home in the old (B) Division. (Remember the players well).

However, in 1937 Saints won 6-3 at home in Aug., only to be bettered by Accies in the away fixture in Sept. when they turned the tables by defeating Saints 8-3.

Looks like Saints had 2 personnel changes for the return fixture.

So Accies hold the record.

I am amazed jn fact dumbfoonered, where do you get this information from?  I was probably at the 1955 game (might even have helped clear snow if necessary ) but have no recollection of the score. Did Archie Baird play?

2 hours ago, south inch said:

I am amazed jn fact dumbfoonered, where do you get this information from?  I was probably at the 1955 game (might even have helped clear snow if necessary ) but have no recollection of the score. Did Archie Baird play?

I will Pm you, bet he cant say if Baird played.

03 Dec. 1955 In front of 5,000 at Muirton Park.

Saints fielded Taylor , Woodcock , Montgomery , Ewan , Menzies , Baird , Fraser , Steel (3), Rodger (3), Carr and Hodgson (1).

Bet Sixties can't remember how many pies he scoffed.

42 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

03 Dec. 1955 In front of 5,000 at Muirton Park.

Saints fielded Taylor , Woodcock , Montgomery , Ewan , Menzies , Baird , Fraser , Steel (3), Rodger (3), Carr and Hodgson (1).

Good solid team, most of the names ring a bell especially Ernie Ewan, Ian Rodger, Willie Hodgson and, of course, Joe Carr - remember him standing at the top of the entrance steps at the car park end shaking hands on the night of his testimonial.

Was pleased with most of the play after watching and dissecting the tv highlights.

Goal 1.   Looked like McCart free kick towards May, Spoony pounced on the loose ball and bamboozled 2 Accies guys before laying it on a plate for Stevie to score with a deft touch.

Goal 2.   McCann to Spoony, Conway, McCann, Spoony shoots, Goal!!!

Conway to McNamara,  to May, header on target tipped over. Corner .

Goal 3.  Conway corner from the left headed home by May.

Goal 4.  Bryson (methinks) ignored a simple pass to Muzz and Conway to find Stevie latching on to a brilliant through ball.

Conway was 10yards behind Stevie when he reached the ball, busted a gut to get up in support , Stevie had a quick glance to his left as he approached the corner of the 6 yard box before he found Conway, who finished in style.

Goal 5. Conway free kick, keeper grasped at thin air.

Tanser great cross in from the left to give Conway a chance of a hatrick,  went with his right foot when any contact with his left leg would have surely found the back of the net.

C.o.y.s.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Hopefully Callum will see that Spoonys best position is left midfield/wing.

I mean apart from the betfred cup games that’s pretty much exclusively where he’s played. I think he’s known it since the first game of the season.  

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Hopefully Callum will see that Spoonys best position is left midfield/wing.

Agree, although we do not play with wingers. Tanser is best concentrating on his defensive duties and leave the space on the wing to Wotherspoon. The right is a different story the space should be given to the wing back McNamara. 

Cup final team Wotherspoon left midfield enough said

St Johnstone have eyes on top half of the table after scoring five at Hamilton on Saturday, says winger Craig Conway.(Courier)

I like his optimism after beating a league 2 side and beating the bottom club by 2 goals, a few more wins before I will be optimistic. Mr Pessimistic at this moment it time is looking in the other direction. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone have eyes on top half of the table after scoring five at Hamilton on Saturday, says winger Craig Conway.(Courier)

I like his optimism after beating a league 2 side and beating the bottom club by 2 goals, a few more wins before I will be optimistic. Mr Pessimistic at this moment it time is looking in the other direction. 

We are only 1 win from top 6 at the moment. No one has turned us over yet even the OF.

I would be disappointed if the players were not aiming at top 6 finish. 

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Agree, although we do not play with wingers. Tanser is best concentrating on his defensive duties and leave the space on the wing to Wotherspoon. The right is a different story the space should be given to the wing back McNamara. 

wasn't Spoony more right mid in the cup final?  The solo run which ended up with Andy Robertson on his arse was certainly cutting in from the right.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Wallace said:

wasn't Spoony more right mid in the cup final?  The solo run which ended up with Andy Robertson on his arse was certainly cutting in from the right.

Wotherspoon left  MOH was right and Croft replaced him on the right late on. But my memory is not what it once was. They did alternate wings occasionally 

Edited by Johnny B

9 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Spoony played on the right in the Cup final. 

Tanser is a superb crosser of the ball and should be encouraged to overlap.