Zander

Pat McGroin

I have no idea what all these stats will show, but what did zander do wrong against aberdeen thats kept him on the lofty pedestal of being this key player to drop? Made a couple of good saves, distributed the ball well....we lose 2 because defense was badly MIA for one and a well executed scam by cosgrove. Gold help him if he'd let in the goal the Aberdeen keeper did from Gordon. 

Where are the stats showing our defensive shambles thats giving opponents unmarked 5 foot toe punts. 

Edited by Cleveland-Saint

13 hours ago, rik2304 said:

It's a different coach than from when he was coming through to challenge initially.

First impressions of Clark were of a keeper who definitely was a different type to Mannus in that he came for high balls more regularly.

Paul has been there since 2015. Can't think who it was before that. Marshall and Combe have both been there but don't think it was then 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

You know what they say about someone who assumes something...

He is a very presumptive person ?

Would it be fair to say that you have seen the error of your ways and now believe that Parish deserves the opportunity to show that he is able to prevent every second shot on target hitting the back of the net?

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

1 hour ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

I have no idea what all these stats will show, but what did zander do wrong against aberdeen thats kept him on the lofty pedestal of being this key player to drop? Made a couple of good saves, distributed the ball well....we lose 2 because defense was badly MIA for one and a well executed scam by cosgrove. Gold help him if he'd let in the goal the Aberdeen keeper did from Gordon. 

Where are the stats showing our defensive shambles thats giving opponents unmarked 5 foot toe punts. 

These stats show that football is all about stats now and anybody who doesn’t come up to scratch according to these figures should be dropped, hung & quartered. Oh for the good old days of players either being good or bad!!

40 minutes ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

These stats show that football is all about stats now and anybody who doesn’t come up to scratch according to these figures should be dropped, hung & quartered. Oh for the good old days of players either being good or bad!!

28 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Stats must be nonsense this year,how can they be accurate,when no one gets in to make the data up?

Steady lads, steady. Come on!! 

It doesn’t take Chris Witty or Patrick Valance to divide the number of shots on target by the number of goals conceded. Surely to f*** you can grasp the importance of that???

If you are struggling to get your loaf of bread around it, I’ll boil it down...

In the Scottish Premiership League, St.Johnstone are the worst of all, for saving shots on target. With me so far? Bottom of the pile. Last. Languishing!!

For every shot the opposition has on target, our goalkeeper stops about 54% of them(HALF). In other words, statistically speaking, for every TWO shots that an opposition team has on target, ONE of them will end up in the back of our net as a goal.

Compare that to similar teams: St.Mirren(79%), Dundee United(74%), Kilmarnock(69%).

Rangers(84%) and Hibs(79%) sit at the top of that tree but both have international goalkeepers.

Celtic who are in a self-confessed goalkeeper CRISIS, sit around 68%. They’ve changed their keeper more often that RandomGuy has changed his mind on Zander Clark.

Its hardly Pythagorean Theorem.
You don’t stop shots on target from going into the net, you concede goals and you lose football matches. We have a goalkeeper who is the WORST in the Scottish Premier League at stopping the ball going into the net.

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He is a very presumptive person ?

Would it be fair to say that you have seen the error of your ways and now believe that Parish deserves the opportunity to show that he is able to prevent every second shot on target hitting the back of the net?

My opinion has changed in the past two months, yes. Considering I'd never said either way though, it's a bit bizarre for you to start calling me "ignorant".

Just now, RandomGuy said:

My opinion has changed in the past two months, yes. Considering I'd never said either way though, it's a bit bizarre for you to start calling me "ignorant".

I retract “ignorant” then. I’ll adapt it to, “a little slow off the mark to state that your opinion had changed on a matter of significant importance”

Anyway, you never did answer my question on the stats from end of October

11 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I retract “ignorant” then. I’ll adapt it to, “a little slow off the mark to state that your opinion had changed on a matter of significant importance”

Anyway, you never did answer my question on the stats from end of October

I hadn't said anything, unless you want me to be on here weekly quoting myself if I change an opinion. I can't even remember making a post about Clark on here in October.

I can't remember his figures in October, but it was above 2 shots per goal, as its only over the past ~month that he's become the worst from 15/16-20/21 in that particular metric.

1 hour ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

These stats show that football is all about stats now and anybody who doesn’t come up to scratch according to these figures should be dropped, hung & quaor the good old days of players either being good or bad!!

Another aspect of modern "football" to utterly suck the joy out of the game

So trying to learn this stat thing and maybe why we need to drop him..... Zander had one key save from one shot on goal, (probably saved us a loss). Hamilton keeper (who I thought looked a bit flappy), had about 10 shots on goal from saints which were mostly right at him or soft dribblers....so on the stat rankings for keepers did Zander drop down further versus Hamilton keeper? I think stats make this dude look like a demigod that saved the day....

9 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

So trying to learn this stat thing and maybe why we need to drop him..... Zander had one key save from one shot on goal, (probably saved us a loss). Hamilton keeper (who I thought looked a bit flappy), had about 10 shots on goal from saints which were mostly right at him or soft dribblers....so on the stat rankings for keepers did Zander drop down further versus Hamilton keeper? I think stats make this dude look like a demigod that saved the day....

Unfortunately for the goalkeeper in question(Gourlay), he doesn’t face St.Johnstone’s powderpuff strike force every week and the statistics are compiled over a number of years against a variety of teams, good and bad. Plus, if you now go and check his stats, due to the fact that they are longitudinal, those ten shots that were dribblers will have actually done very little, if anything at all to his overall % of shots on target saved.

Be facetious all you like, doesn’t bother me, but you need to get your head around the fact that our goalkeeper is currently the worst at stopping the ball going in the back of the net in the entire league.

The sooner you realise that and stop the happy clapping/sarcasm, then you might recognise why we aren’t getting results... or you could wait until we are relegated and then I will remind you of Zander Clark’s stats at the end of the season.

Have a nice day!! Clap clap!!

On 12/31/2020 at 2:08 AM, Cleveland-Saint said:

Shots are graded differently based on distance from goal, difficulty etc. 

As are saves I believe.

it’s not as simple as “a shot is a shot”. 

On 12/31/2020 at 6:07 AM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Unfortunately for the goalkeeper in question(Gourlay), he doesn’t face St.Johnstone’s powderpuff strike force every week and the statistics are compiled over a number of years against a variety of teams, good and bad. Plus, if you now go and check his stats, due to the fact that they are longitudinal, those ten shots that were dribblers will have actually done very little, if anything at all to his overall % of shots on target saved.

Be facetious all you like, doesn’t bother me, but you need to get your head around the fact that our goalkeeper is currently the worst at stopping the ball going in the back of the net in the entire league.

The sooner you realise that and stop the happy clapping/sarcasm, then you might recognise why we aren’t getting results... or you could wait until we are relegated and then I will remind you of Zander Clark’s stats at the end of the season.

Have a nice day!! Clap clap!!

Fair enough... I simply watch every saints game and don't see him as a huge issue, if that makes me a happy clapper, then check that box. 

He's had a couple of bad games, but has had some good ones. Since the rangers game, Aberdeen, Accies and so far today... he's done ok and goals lost were down to poor defending. 

If our 'strikers' put away half their chances we'd be top 6 ... would there even be a zander thread?