Zander

Pat McGroin

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Good keepers have to have trust in the defenders in front of them and, at the moment, our defence is underperforming in the art. 

Agreed. Zander is an experienced keeper, does what he can in a lower end team, and will invariably let a fair few in when the team as a whole don't defend.

I say our biggest problem is May. Said it when he signed: he'll cause us bother. I stand by that.

9 hours ago, dave mc said:

Two good saves,but basic error for their goal,why didn’t he just drop on it,it’s not a passback?

8 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Likely not aware what was going on around him and believed it was a passback.

I think it was a reaction save and nothing like thinking it was a passback. He seems to have been expecting a header both players at front post miss it it then comes off Rooney's leg and he reacts by sticking his foot out. Would quetion why there was a county player on his own in 18 yard box. 

Edited by mainstand

Well that was an excruciating read.

Talk about overcompensating to make a point. Unless Eric Nicholson is secretly Zander’s agent, I really don’t get the point of this article.

Weird!

https://wpcluster.dctdigital.com/thecourier/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1857544/st-johnstone-analysis-saints-still-have-one-big-flaw-but-zander-clark-remains-a-big-asset/

27 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Talk about overcompensating to make a point. Unless Eric Nicholson is secretly Zander’s agent, I really don’t get the point of this article.

Weird!

https://wpcluster.dctdigital.com/thecourier/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1857544/st-johnstone-analysis-saints-still-have-one-big-flaw-but-zander-clark-remains-a-big-asset/

I think it was him that was touting Clark for Scotland after the Celtic game.  Defence unable to deal with crosses? ?. Zander is part of the defence & the problem is he will not command his area.

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Weird!

Thought the same. Usually like Eric’s coverage of Saints but the form over the last 18 months just don’t tally up with this article. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Cagey said:

2 shots at goal 2 goals. Story of our season.

There are bound to be a few keepers out there  that are fed up warming the bench.

Are you fishing again or seriously blaming him for the second:roll: his positioning is where I expect most goalies would be when his team is at half way ready to get any through balls. 

I bet shankland will try that 10 times and not score more than twice. And out of that ten Zander would probably manage to save a few.

I am not sure of the first goal the Rooney right behind him should have done better aswell. 

1 minute ago, mainstand said:

Are you fishing again or seriously blaming him for the second:roll: his positioning is where I expect most goalies would be when his team is at half way ready to get any through balls. 

I bet shankland will try that 10 times and not score more than twice. And out of that ten Zander would probably manage to save a few.

I am not sure of the first goal the Rooney right behind him should have done better aswell. 

No just that it seems every game the opposite team seem to have the same amount of goals as they have shots on goal.

9 minutes ago, Cagey said:

No just that it seems every game the opposite team seem to have the same amount of goals as they have shots on goal.

I agree we need a new keeper , even if. It is for competition.Zander is turning into a bomb scare.Saves very few and when he does do his job we all think he’s a world beater .

Im thinking thats unfair.

He has previously been a very good keeper for us, but in the last couple of years, for what ever reason (coaching? Lack of competition?) he has been distinctly average.

Last couple of games he has looked like the Zander of old, but tonight i cant fault him for either goal.

1st point blank shot thru a couple of bodies, 2nd a wonder goal that 9 outta 10 is over the roof of the stand.

10 hours ago, mainstand said:

I’m not actually blaming him for the goals tonight, but the stats don’t lie. He saves next to nothing.

Knowing you have a keeper behind you that concedes 1 in every 2 shots on target must play on the mind of every defender, and I’m damn sure they know.