Zander

Pat McGroin

5 hours ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

Can’t believe people are slagging off Clark and holding up Siegreist as something special when he let a header nutmeg him.

Yeah but he made 4 saves as opposed to Clark's ZERO which seems to be a common occurrence.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Yeah but he made 4 saves as opposed to Clark's ZERO which seems to be a common occurrence.

Well that figure on its own, without any other context, could be interpreted in loads of different ways. Did Clark make fewer saves than Siegrist because our defence is better so allowed fewer shots, for example? Did Siegrist have more saves to make because Saints are better at creating chances? Or maybe United's strikers are better than ours so their shots are harder to save, whereas our strikers have loads of shots that go straight at the keeper?

17 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Have you watched the first goal again???

Scroll to 1 minute 40 seconds for their goal and 5 minutes 30 seconds for Melamed’s shot that gets saved.

Compare how Zander deals with their first goal to how Siegrist deals with Melamed’s late chance. Night and day!!

Our keeper is poor at stopping the ball going in the back of the net. Bottom line!

Not sure why you are determined to crucify zander for the 1st goal.

Starts with an out of position CM filling in at right back, and getting beaten. Ball goes across and comes back into middle whilst liam decides which man to cover.  He goes with the runner, but is too slow, runner knocks it (unmarked) into goal scorer (in fairness my memory was the two markers closing him down, review shows they were moving away from him)  lapere has the whole goal at his mercy, a lovely feed right where he wants it, and no one closing him down.  If he hadnt scored from that position, he is in the wrong game...

Zander gambles and goes his left.  Was he to wait till the shot had been struck before diving? He would have been castigated for being too slow.

A shot from an unmarked player from six yards is not the fault of the keeper if it goes in, he can only be a hero by keeping it out.

Thats your binary take on that goal? Suoer save or culpable buffon?

15 minutes ago, St. Paddy said:

Starts with an out of position CM filling in at right back, and getting beaten. Ball goes across and comes back into middle whilst liam decides which man to cover.  He goes with the runner, but is too slow, runner knocks it (unmarked) into goal scorer (in fairness my memory was the two markers closing him down, review shows they were moving away from him)  lapere has the whole goal at his mercy, a lovely feed right where he wants it, and no one closing him down.  If he hadnt scored from that position, he is in the wrong game...

Zander gambles and goes his left.  Was he to wait till the shot had been struck before diving? He would have been castigated for being too slow.

A shot from an unmarked player from six yards is not the fault of the keeper if it goes in, he can only be a hero by keeping it out.

I just say it how I see it.

He could and should have saved it. Siegrist did when called upon as you can clearly see from the video 

3 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I just say it how I see it.

He could and should have saved it. Siegrist did when called upon as you can clearly see from the video 

Or a tiring Melamed’s put in a powdwrpuff shot.

If he wellies it, its in.

Your right tho, from what ive seen, siegriest? Is a better keeper. Its also true zander hasnt had the best season behind an adapting inexperienced defensive unit.

Still dont think zander is the most at blame for that goal, and dont see the need for the burning at the stake. 

If a keeper was available, who (with our modest resources and three keepers on the books) who would you like  to see us sign thats a guaranteed upgrade on what we have? 

22 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

You’re the one talking utter tosh on this one I’m afraid. The stats don’t lie.

Also, to keep it simple, I urge you to watch these highlights:

In a nutshell our currently problem is exemplified by the situation at 1:30 vs the situation at 5:30.

Dundee United first goal and Melamed’s late chance were almost identical. If anything, Melamed’s was a better finish. What was the only difference, Sietgrist saved Melamed’s shot, Zander didn’t save Appere’s trickler...

Please tell me I am wrong after watching the above.

Who was to blame for the goal no bigger culprit than Rooney. He is marking the goal scorer the leaves him to run on the line giving him a free shot. Had he stayed on his man the goal may have been prevented 1,11 mins gives a clear view.

These are team figures for the percentage of on target shots saved in Premiership this season:

85% Rangers
84%
83%
82%
81%
80%
79%
78%
77% Hibernian, St Mirren
76%
75%
74% Aberdeen, Dundee United
73% Celtic
72%
71%
70%
69% Kilmarnock
68% Motherwell
67%
66% Ross County
65% Hamilton Accies
64%
63%
62% Livingston
61%
60%
59%
58%
57%
56% St Johnstone

If our goalkeeper(s) was even performing to the average, given how few shots on target we give up, we'd have conceded around 21 goals, as opposed to 33 goals.

How many more points does that give us? 

Livingston had the second worst performing goalkeeper in the league but look at how their form has rocketed since they replaced him with simply an average keeper. 

In my opinion, Saints would be up to 12 points better off with.an average goalkeeper, which I think would offer a far truer reflection on our performances this season. 

Blind loyalty to a massively underperforming goalkeeper from both the management and the support only holds the team back.

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

Livingston had the second worst performing goalkeeper in the league but look at how their form has rocketed since they replaced him with simply an average keeper. 

In my opinion, Saints would be up to 12 points better off with.an average goalkeeper, which I think would offer a far truer reflection on our performances this season. 

Blind loyalty to a massively underperforming goalkeeper from both the management and the support only holds the team back.

Couldn’t have said it better. 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:33 PM, St. Paddy said:

Makes me laugh on here , everyone must ha been some players back in the day, as bad as the pundits should have done this / that and half o them were crap as well.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:33 PM, St. Paddy said:

Sounds more like you are describing the Melamed chance that Siegrist saved to be honest...

Also, it was right at him. It went under his foot... again.

7 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

And the reverse is, if our forwards stopped squandering double figure chances every game and our defenders stopped parting like the Dead Sea giving opposition players so many clear chances, how many more points would we have? It is a team game and constantly slaughtering individual players rather than getting behind them does the club no good whatsoever.

You often see average goalies, 6/10-ish, being described as “he’s a decent shot-stopper, but.....”. How would you complete the sentence “he’s a dodgy shot-stopper, but......” that would get you to 6/10-ish? 

“He has a braw tele”?

I almost never slag individual players off, mainly because I never understand the technical points being made, but as John Lennon nearly said, “Give Parish a chance”.

It is now absolutely certain Zander will save a penalty in the second half today.

3 hours ago, Tranmere Saintee said:

And the reverse is, if our forwards stopped squandering double figure chances every game and our defenders stopped parting like the Dead Sea giving opposition players so many clear chances, how many more points would we have? It is a team game and constantly slaughtering individual players rather than getting behind them does the club no good whatsoever.

Neither of those points is accurate though. We give up very few chances (essentially only Rangers and Celtic concede fewer shots on target). 

Are you really saying that our defence, who give up so few shots at goal, give up such bad chances that a save rate of 55% is acceptable, when you see the figures for other teams? 

If you identify a weakness in the team, we should just turn a blind eye to it and instead make up unjustified criticism of other players, like the defenders? 

I understand backing players but it can't go on indefinitely.

He was good today but then St Mirren didn't have a shot on target... 

But to reiterate the main point, do you think a save rate of 55% is good enough? Yes or no will do. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Clark is a poor keeper and he needs replaced in the Summer if we're to try and push on.

Parish is not the keeper who should replace him, IMO.

Clark is a keeper who has went through a bad patch to say he is a poor keeper is about as daft a statement as you have made ina long time and there have been a few.