Zander

Pat McGroin

3 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

As a matter of interest, how would Kane’s effort (that the keeper touched over but did not result in a corner) be judged, on or off target?  I thought it was going over anyway, so off target and would not count in this strange metric.

does hitting the post count as on or off target?

Off. Which I’ve always felt was a shame.

4 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

As a matter of interest, how would Kane’s effort (that the keeper touched over but did not result in a corner) be judged, on or off target?  I thought it was going over anyway, so off target and would not count in this strange metric.

does hitting the post count as on or off target?

It's been recorded as off target.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It's been recorded as off target.

Random so the stats only count actual saves within the goal? If that is right then they would not count any of the following:

Diving at a strikers feet,

Going for a cross,

Coming out of your area to clear a through ball,

cutting out a cut back

narrowing the angle so a player shoots wide.

Touching over a shot that was adjudged to be going over

1 minute ago, mainstand said:

Random so the stats only count actual saves within the goal? If that is right then they would not count any of the following:

Going for a cross,

cutting out a cut back

I don't think I'd consider any of those things to be "saves".

47 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Going for a cross,

cutting out a cut back

It also counts shots that he spills as saves.

For example, the first goal for Rangers is classed as a save, then a high quality chance he could do nothing about, when the context is him spilling a simple shot to allow a tap in.

Agree that numbers miss a lot of context, but I'm comparing Clark to 93 goalkeepers over 5 seasons, and he's the only one who's below 2 shots per goal in that entire database.

On 1/18/2021 at 7:36 PM, Cagey said:

The annoying thing is 3 seasons ago I would have said he was as good as most of those & better than some.

I don't know what has happened but it has been a gradual deterioration.

Yes, it's all a bit confusing and sad ATM, with not much glimmer of consistent quality. Has a good game, then a bunch of crap ones.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Bridgendboy said:

Not been his greatest fan but he has looked a lot more confident of late and he had no chance with the goal last night.

Too many bodies in front of him. The goal was interesting from the point of view Hagi ran along the edge of the box until a certain point and then barely looked up before hitting it, like he knew exactly where to get to in order to get it in the corner, it was a clever move.

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Too many bodies in front of him. The goal was interesting from the point of view Hagi ran along the edge of the box until a certain point and then barely looked up before hitting it, like he knew exactly where to get to in order to get it in the corner, it was a clever move.

Yeah good goal but I was the same thought he didn’t look and quite a bit of luck to get through all the bodies

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Credit where credit is due. 

Zander hitting some real form now. His command of his area is so much better.

Wonder if this is an intentional coaching change. 

Keep it up big Z

Probably because he has confidence in the guys in his defence who are now playing as if they actually know each other.

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Probably because he has confidence in the guys in his defence who are now playing as if they actually know each other.

I think it’s more than that. I don’t think Tommy liked his goalkeepers to come off their line. I might be wrong on that, but it seemed like it had been coached out of our keepers. 

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

I think it’s more than that. I don’t think Tommy liked his goalkeepers to come off their line. I might be wrong on that, but it seemed like it had been coached out of our keepers. 

You are correct. Tommy didn't believe keepers should need to command their box. He mentioned it in one of his longer interviews with the BBC.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

You are correct. Tommy didn't believe keepers should need to command their box. He mentioned it in one of his longer interviews with the BBC.

Quite a bizarre outlook for an ex keeper! 

Even more so with a guy the size of Zander. He’s not the most mobile when it comes to getting down to shots, and if he can dominate the box it gives him an edge. 

• 4 weeks later...