Zander

Pat McGroin

4 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I actually prefer when he punches it. Glad he is attempting to come for cross balls at least and great penalty save.

Yup, sticking on his line doesn't work for him, or the team. I'm not too fussed if he fails to connect with a cross etc, at least he's getting in there, and refs have tended to give the goalies the benefit of doubt re fouls when challenging.

Standing on your line is just asking for it imho.

18 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Yup, sticking on his line doesn't work for him, or the team. I'm not too fussed if he fails to connect with a cross etc, at least he's getting in there, and refs have tended to give the goalies the benefit of doubt re fouls when challenging.

Standing on your line is just asking for it imho.

Maybe Callum has noticed what happened to him during TW’s tenure and has got the goalkeeping coach to work on him to go back to his early days of coming off his line. The unfortunate thing being he did tend to give away penalties a bit like yesterday.

32 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

When was his last spot kick save, apart from a pen. shoot out?

I'm struggling to remember .

He admitted in paper that he hasn't a good record with penalties & his dad & brother take the piss.Zander gave away his jersey for charity. Maybe be should have kept it as he will never get as lucky again.

Edited by Cagey

We've not given away too many penalties this season. Im sure its only 4 or something. Happy he saved it but it wasnt a good penalty. We've been riding our luck a little recently but had very little at the start of the season so balanced out.

Just listened to yesterday’s ‘View from a terrace podcast. They were discussing the top 12 Scottish Premier keepers from this season. Neither of them chose or even mentioned Zander. I was a little surprised. I thought he might have been 8th/9th given our season and his impact in big games. 

15 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

Just listened to yesterday’s ‘View from a terrace podcast. They were discussing the top 12 Scottish Premier keepers from this season. Neither of them chose or even mentioned Zander. I was a little surprised. I thought he might have been 8th/9th given our season and his impact in big games. 

They weren’t exactly busting a gut choosing the top 12 keepers from 12 teams...

On 4/10/2021 at 12:05 AM, Brian Potter said:

That'll be because statistically he is one of if not the worst in the league.

• 2 weeks later...

What a turn-around for Zander. He had a nightmare against Sevco earlier this season. Last night he had the game of his life against the same opponent. I think there's been a gradual improvement in his form over the last few months, culminating in what happened last night, and it's so good to see him build his confidence back up. Even disregarding the dramatics at the end, there were several saves last night that I just don't think he'd have made earlier in the season.

He was trending on Twitter last night and most of what I saw when I clicked on it was Sevco fans saying they want Gerrard to sign him.

He's taken a lot of stick on this thread but I think he deserves a huge amount of praise for pulling himself out of a tough situation and building himself back to his best.

2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

What a turn-around for Zander. He had a nightmare against Sevco earlier this season. Last night he had the game of his life against the same opponent. I think there's been a gradual improvement in his form over the last few months, culminating in what happened last night, and it's so good to see him build his confidence back up. Even disregarding the dramatics at the end, there were several saves last night that I just don't think he'd have made earlier in the season.

He was trending on Twitter last night and most of what I saw when I clicked on it was Sevco fans saying they want Gerrard to sign him.

He's taken a lot of stick on this thread but I think he deserves a huge amount of praise for pulling himself out of a tough situation and building himself back to his best.

I think  Celtic fans want him signed as well. Think there is mention of Scotland as well.

I think we should sell him now. It can't get better than last night.

I think we should only sell him if its a sensational offer. We need to do everything we can to keep this back 3 and zander together. I agree he has dips in form (and occasional howler), but I can't see us getting much better on our budget. I agree with blueheaven that he has done brilliantly to get back into form. Keep that defensive unit together and they will all only get better.

He recovered pretty well from the Rangers game at Xmas but was just worrying he was starting to dip again but what a way to banish those doubts. Thrilled for him and hopefully it's the shot of confidence that he maybe needed. He puts on a brave face but I think he must know there are goals he could have done better with this season. 

Maybe part of the problem for him has been when he does lose a bad goal, he's so rarely tested that he can't get back into the swing of making saves. Was asked to do that last night and was faultless. 

Great night for him. 

I've defended Zander all season and it was clear to me the lad was going through a bad spell because of a lack of confidence and a lot of that was how badly we were playing at the back. Since the back line sorted itself out he has grown in stature and his confidence has returned. 

I can't tell you how sweet that performance from Zander was for me last night; he was oustanding.

Shame some posters in this thread who have continually slated Clark couldn't have the humility to admit they were wrong- I hope their enjoying a big portion of crow pie this morning!

31 minutes ago, skivealive said:

I think we should only sell him if its a sensational offer. We need to do everything we can to keep this back 3 and zander together. I agree he has dips in form (and occasional howler), but I can't see us getting much better on our budget. I agree with blueheaven that he has done brilliantly to get back into form. Keep that defensive unit together and they will all only get better.

Have to agree. If a big offer comes in for him (I don't think it will) then of course the club will have to take it, but otherwise I think the priority has to be keeping this back line (and team in general) together. Bedding in a new goalkeeper would be a big risk, and realistically who are we going to attract that would be significantly better?

Bear in mind too that even if we sell him for a good fee, it's unlikely we'd go out and spend a significant transfer fee on his replacement.