RIP Jim Townsend

sixties saintee

I’m sorry to hear of his death, Jim Townsend is a player that I remember well. Signed from Port Glasgow Athletic in 1961 at the age of Sixteen after impressing in the Saints reserves made his debut in a 1-0 win against Partick Thistle 7/4/62 retained his place for the final two games of the season a win over Third Lanark 2-1 and the defeat  by Dundee which relegated us .

He starred the following season in the Second Division scoring 11 goals and helping Saints reach the League Cup Semifinal and winning the Second Division Championship. In season 1963-1964 he was first choice right half until his transfer to Middlesbrough for £20,000 in February a record transfer fee for the club.

Jim played in some memorable matches for Saints fans of that era including the 4-1 League Cup quarter final win over Q.O.S., the 5-5 comeback draw against Stenhousemuir and the 1963 Christmas victory over Rangers.

He returned to St. Johnstone in the  Summer of 1966 after two and half seasons at Middlesbrough making 67 appearances for them and scoring 6 goals, the fee for him was £9,000.. At this time he still is only 21, a far cry from today’s Saints youngsters. Highlights of that season for him was a great goal against Rangers in 1-1 draw at Muirton, the 5-2 Christmas Eve win at Easter Road and also played in Fred Aitken’s first match and John Kilgannon’s last game. He was also picked for a Scotland XI squad which toured the Far East, Australia and Canada at the end of 66/67 season, winning all 9 games. Bye this time he was a Hearts player, sold for £20,000 just before the seasons end. I was really disappointed at losing what I thought was our best player, however we needed the money.

Jim Townsend was a stylish creative midfielder who could also tackle and would walk into our present team.

Thanks Jim for all tha memories a true St. Johnstone Legend