Steve brown

tucker

3 hours ago, tucker said:

Just noticed Dundee United are asking players and staff to take 20 percent pay cut, United over spending like there neighbors normal do.whilst saints seem to be doing little cuts ,think brown deserves credit for doing a good job during hard times again

Where did you ‘notice’ this Tuck? 

Mibbies you should notice a global pandemic and an industry starved of its largest income stream for 8 months and no sign of it changing.  Mibbies you should understand the perilous condition every football club is facing before spouting  about ‘overspending’ and petty parochial drivel like this. 

Most clubs are putting in place contingency plans to deal with a foreboding winter outlook. If you really think St Johnson’s are in some unique position where they have no such issues, I suspect you are in for a big shock!

:roll:

6 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Mibbies you should notice a global pandemic and an industry starved of its largest income stream for 8 months and no sign of it changing.  Mibbies you should understand the perilous condition every football club is facing before spouting  about ‘overspending’ and petty parochial drivel like this. 

Most clubs are putting in place contingency plans to deal with a foreboding winter outlook. If you really think St Johnson’s are in some unique position where they have no such issues, I suspect you are in for a big shock!

Was reported on radio Scotland sports news early this morning. Correct saints, nor any other team are exempt from cuts or worse at the moment.

Uniteds "wages to turnover" was 133% in 2018/19, and a loss of over £3m. 

They then made Shankland one of the highest paid non-OF players in the country.

They then gave new signings Edwards £3k a week, and Fuchs/McNulty £5k a week this Summer, as they'd budgeted for normal crowds being back by now

I don't think being in a better state than them financially is particularly incredible tbh.

I'm sure there were rumours Saints, fairly forcibly, either cut the wages, or get rid of all together, many members of non-footballing staff at the club, but that was just rumoured.

When the new board took over they purchased a club with shrivelled capabilities, shrivelled ambition entombed in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, operating way below its potential. The new chairman overhauled the management/coaching staff, youth and scouting staff then the playing squad.  This was to ensure top flight football and even a cursory glance at the last decade would show the potential, twice taking The best part of 30000 fans to a national cup final, raked in 10 million + from a youth and scouting system producing a string of top class professionals. 

the ultimate black swan event has hit at a crucial point in the 5 year plan and we have big challenges to get back on track, but to characterise The current regime at Tannadice as reckless over spenders is lacking in perspective.  I have some suspicions about our chairman and what’s going on, but so far we have advanced a fairly modest business model and reached fairly modest goals, and paid our debts along the way, something a lot of other clubs failed to do.

As Random says, I really don't think there's any doubt that United have over-spent. Their chairman/owner pretty much acknowledged that in the interview I read. They worked under the assumption that crowds would be coming back by now, which seems naive at best. Ditto clubs like Hibs and Dundee who asked their players to take pay cuts but then still felt it was acceptable to sign new players. Frankly I'd be amazed if Dundee in particular are not on the verge of being back in serious financial trouble. This is a long-term situation and for all we know we'll still be playing in front of little or no fans a year from now.

I think Saints by comparison have handled it pretty well so far, although the Melamed signing did surprise me a little. I've no idea how much he's costing but given the other options he's spoken of having on the table, and the club he came from, I can't imagine he's come on the cheap.

I am worried about how the pandemic is going to affect Saints in the long-term - I think we all need to be. The club is now operating on very little income. That can't be sustainable. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more discussion about that.

Has Steve Brown done anything differently? I don't think we would budget too much further than the fairly stable season ticket holder numbers.

The extra crowds from old firm games will be a hit but I would expect there is enough in the bank plus having the smallest squad we have had for some time. Obviously it is not sustainable forever but there will be 'bigger names' falling before us and I can't imagine that will be allowed to happen.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

As Random says, I really don't think there's any doubt that United have over-spent. Their chairman/owner pretty much acknowledged that in the interview I read. They worked under the assumption that crowds would be coming back by now, which seems naive at best. Ditto clubs like Hibs and Dundee who asked their players to take pay cuts but then still felt it was acceptable to sign new players. Frankly I'd be amazed if Dundee in particular are not on the verge of being back in serious financial trouble. This is a long-term situation and for all we know we'll still be playing in front of little or no fans a year from now.

I think Saints by comparison have handled it pretty well so far, although the Melamed signing did surprise me a little. I've no idea how much he's costing but given the other options he's spoken of having on the table, and the club he came from, I can't imagine he's come on the cheap.

I am worried about how the pandemic is going to affect Saints in the long-term - I think we all need to be. The club is now operating on very little income. That can't be sustainable. I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more discussion about that.

Agree. I don't think Saints would have signed Melamed if we didn't have a striker problem.

I think Steve Brown has had the problems of this season in his mind,hence the 10 out & 4 in(cant remember exact number),the offer of only 6 months to Craig,Kane & Booth which most criticised.

He might be tight fisted & a poor public speaker but you can't think that he has anything but the best interests of our club at heart.

Not often I agree with Random but he is spot on. I think the owners have believed all the bull shit of their president about COVID is fake news and have spent well above what they could realistically have afforded under the current state of play. If the figures quoted at the time are true then Mellon is on anything over £350,000pa.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think we'll come out the other side better than most, due to having actual reserves and low expenses, but I also think we'll stay at our current spending level for a couple of years after, while everyone else will return to "normal" spending straight away.

2 hours ago, south inch said:

I think a lot of clubs will start to complain about finances in the weeks to come, especially in the lower leagues.  Dundee Utd will not be the only ones who set budgets in the expectation that by now limited crowds would be allowed.

Clubs may have set budgets but Utd only signed McNulty about a month ago if anyone at that time expected crowds back must live in cloud cuckoo land. There are certain clubs that may have a right to ask for government funding but Utd certainly isn’t one of them. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I think we'll come out the other side better than most, due to having actual reserves and low expenses, but I also think we'll stay at our current spending level for a couple of years after, while everyone else will return to "normal" spending straight away.

Mmm.. football austerity, sexy!! Does that make Steve Brown, George Osbourne

I am not sure how assuming that things would be okay if limited crowds were let back in by now.

Surely any limited crowds would have been season ticket holders in the first instance (who have already paid), so by opening the stadiums with all the measures needed will only go to increase expenditure. 

I can imagine SB will have budgeted on a worst case scenario, but even so I would think things will starting to get a bit pinchy.

1 hour ago, Jenko82 said:

I am not sure how assuming that things would be okay if limited crowds were let back in by now.

Surely any limited crowds would have been season ticket holders in the first instance (who have already paid), so by opening the stadiums with all the measures needed will only go to increase expenditure. 

I can imagine SB will have budgeted on a worst case scenario, but even so I would think things will starting to get a bit pinchy.

This, like you say probably season ticket holders in the first instance and then you have the added overheads of having people on the ground. Even if it was a percentage of paying customers allowed in that extra ticket price starts getting eaten into by the extra overheads. Maybe to a point that PPV is actually making you the same if not more? 

Mind you I do think other clubs have underpriced their PPV.....

From a saints point of view given our deals on family's etc v £17.50 for PPV, how much are we really down income wise purely in ticket income given on an average gate we probably have ~ 2000 paying customers? Not all paying full price? Does that then actually average out at 2000 around the £17.50 mark? Are we pulling in that many or more on PPV?

It would be nice to see a PPV 'attendance' just to see what the uptake is actually like.

15 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Clubs may have set budgets but Utd only signed McNulty about a month ago if anyone at that time expected crowds back must live in cloud cuckoo land. There are certain clubs that may have a right to ask for government funding but Utd certainly isn’t one of them. 

A lot of clubs do live in cloud cuckoo land and I would agree Utd are probably top of that list.  We don't thankfully.

On 10/29/2020 at 12:32 AM, Smarmy Arab said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/jim-spence/1691227/jim-spence-dundee-united-fans-worry-exposed-position/

DUFC, the gift that just keeps on giving... Make United Broke Again

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

On 10/29/2020 at 12:32 AM, Smarmy Arab said:

Sorry first of me seeing the replays sure seen it on BBC sport Scotland but we'll known now, unfortunately more clubs will follow I'd image Livingston are on the edge they have a big squad for size of there finances