Hibs V St.Johnstone - Tuesday 24th November

SaintJet

Missed the first half hour or so as I was expecting a 7.45 kick-off. :laugh: 

What was with the weird kick-off time? Serves me right for not checking, but fortunately I tuned in just in time for Ali's opening goal.

From what I saw I thought Hibs looked a level above most of the teams we've been playing against, and largely dominating, for much of this season. They put our defence under a lot more pressure, and carved out some good chances. If their finishing was better it might have been a sore one for us. At 2-1 up I was thinking it would make a nice change for us to be the team winning against the run of play for a change. Pity we couldn't hold on for the points, but can't be too unhappy with a point from a trip to Easter Road.

I think Spoony and MOH will both take big confidence boosts from that game. I'd start them both at the weekend.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think Spoony and MOH will both take big confidence boosts from that game. I'd start them both at the weekend.

I agree both will get a boost.

I can't recall MOH playing the modern 10 role (attacking midfielder sitting in a free role between the midfield and the forwards, and roam between flanks) Maybe that's because we do often play with 2 forwards. Thought he played it well. Before last nights performance, I struggled to see where he would fit into the team as we now play with wingbacks and not wingers. CD did say he would try him in a number of roles. But wingback was the biggest surprise to me.

I much preferred the formation with 2 strikers we look more likely to score because we attacked quicker and didn't try and keep possession for 5 minuets before we attacked.  Therefore I can't  see there being a place for both if he uses last nights formation. Bring Kerr in for Rooney and Davidson for Craig if fit and the remainder the same. This formation earned another outing after last nights performance. 

3 hours ago, Johnny B said:

I agree both will get a boost.

I can't recall MOH playing the modern 10 role (attacking midfielder sitting in a free role between the midfield and the forwards, and roam between flanks) Maybe that's because we do often play with 2 forwards. Thought he played it well. Before last nights performance, I struggled to see where he would fit into the team as we now play with wingbacks and not wingers. CD did say he would try him in a number of roles. But wingback was the biggest surprise to me.

I much preferred the formation with 2 strikers we look more likely to score because we attacked quicker and didn't try and keep possession for 5 minuets before we attacked.  Therefore I can't  see there being a place for both if he uses last nights formation. Bring Kerr in for Rooney and Davidson for Craig if fit and the remainder the same. This formation earned another outing after last nights performance. 

Davidson will not be playing if he had concussion as I think he will miss 2 weeks. Not sure if Craig can play 2 games in 4 days as he has not been playing regularly so assume Bryson will play if fit.

Pretty positive performance from the lads last night. Watched the highlights on sportscene and we were worth a point.

I was a bit alarmed at the chances Hibs got around our goal; Murphy really should have scored and we were well off our men several times.

A good nights work and just a pity we didn't hang on for the win.

Dissapointed that Hendry hasn't kicked on from last season and seems well down the list for starting. Anybody got any reason why he's dropped out of favour?

18 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

It got deflected by Clark, I think.

First goal is on Gordon, who follows his striker into midfield unnecessarily and leaves a massive gap behind him, where they score from.

Wotherspoon sleeping a bit for the second.

Not sure why Tanser is being criticised at all.

Switched off for a second and lost mcginn, although there was a few errors in the first goal. Thought mcnamara also struggled a bit against Murphy at times. But that's being picky decent performance overall.

22 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Out of interest did either of you watch the game? Appears neither did yet Tanser is still to blame? 

Can confirm i watched the match last night! I have actually watched every game this season on PPV! have watched 96% of home matches over the last 30 years!  And i can still say confidently Tanser has been involved in opposition goals a fair few times!

16 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Dissapointed that Hendry hasn't kicked on from last season and seems well down the list for starting. Anybody got any reason why he's dropped out of favour?

Given that CD has preferred to only play one striker in most matches this season, I think it was always going to be difficult for Hendry to get game time once May regained his form and fitness. It's a pity because I've always felt May and Hendry link up really well together as a partnership, but the manager just doesn't seem to want them on the pitch at the same time. I actually thought Hendry was playing pretty well at the start of the season and was unlucky not to have a few goals (especially as he had a perfectly good goal wrongly chopped off at one point). I'm also a bit surprised he hasn't been used more often as an impact sub, considering quite a few of his goals last season came after he'd been introduced from the bench.

I think for Hendry's season a lot now depends on whether or not Kane stays. Under the circumstances I struggle to see Kane being kept on - in my opinion we simply don't need four strikers.

12 hours ago, Center Half said:

Can confirm i watched the match last night! I have actually watched every game this season on PPV! have watched 96% of home matches over the last 30 years!  And i can still say confidently Tanser has been involved in opposition goals a fair few times!

What did Tanser do wrong for these two goals? I shall need to go back and check them again, any pointers as to what I should look for would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Given that CD has preferred to only play one striker in most matches this season, I think it was always going to be difficult for Hendry to get game time once May regained his form and fitness. It's a pity because I've always felt May and Hendry link up really well together as a partnership, but the manager just doesn't seem to want them on the pitch at the same time. I actually thought Hendry was playing pretty well at the start of the season and was unlucky not to have a few goals (especially as he had a perfectly good goal wrongly chopped off at one point). I'm also a bit surprised he hasn't been used more often as an impact sub, considering quite a few of his goals last season came after he'd been introduced from the bench.

I think for Hendry's season a lot now depends on whether or not Kane stays. Under the circumstances I struggle to see Kane being kept on - in my opinion we simply don't need four strikers.

Agree with your points about Hendry.

After his winner at Tynecastle last year he went from strength to strength and he was looking really good prior to the Covid break.

I think he's got a long term future here but I'm a big fan of Kane and hope he gets another year contract. I accept he is Marmite to fans but for me he gives 100% effort every game and his workrate outstanding.

37 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

What did Tanser do wrong for these two goals? I shall need to go back and check them again, any pointers as to what I should look for would be appreciated.

First goal he matches McGinn, then inexplicably stops tracking him when the ball deflects loose. 

Same issue as against Motherwell, wheres he unable to get goalside of the player he's tracking.

10 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Completely switches off at the first and allows mcginn a free run for starters. Decent going forward but posted missing a lot of the games when defending, heart of a pea comes to mind, move to a bigger club must be missing something in what I've seen over the years, in our wage bracket but sometimes you get what you pay for!

Just answering because it was discussing him, but never injured, suspended and will always encourage the guy when he is bombing up beside the east stand but just feel he us sadly lacking in the defensive aspect.