The Covid & politics thread

andrew

57 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’m a season ticket holder in a tier 2 area. If Perth is tier 3, surely I should get priority!!

I know you’re having a wee laugh there, but they don’t want anyone travelling into lower or higher areas at all. It’s controlling behaviour from NS.

1 hour ago, andrew said:

I know you’re having a wee laugh there, but they don’t want anyone travelling into lower or higher areas at all. It’s controlling behaviour from NS.

Must be a hell of a lot of control freaks out there, because virtually every country is doing the same - many of them for longer, and more severely. I’m sure your right though - restricting travel was never going to control a virus which, in Scotland at the moment, is - checks notes - predominantly a strain which started in Spain and was spread in July and August by idiots going on holiday to Spain, despite NS begging them not to..

Oh.

I wouldn't be having a go at NS... here in Victoria, it's been draconian almost from day 1. And no-one knew why. At its peak there was something like 800 new cases. In all of Australia a total of 800 deaths. It was still in place when there were 3 new cases. Shops & businesses closed, no bars, restaurants,  curfews, 5 km radius, no one allowed to visit etc, only allowed outside for 1 hour, no interstate flights.... complete lockdown. Because of 3 new cases in an elderly home. Folk have gone bananas,  jobs lost. Even with 0 new cases & 0 deaths for 2 weeks. Now it's stage 3. No-one allowed at sporting events. I think NS is doing the right thing given the numbers in England. 

7 hours ago, andrew said:

26 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I wouldn't be having a go at NS... here in Victoria, it's been draconian almost from day 1. And no-one knew why. At its peak there was something like 800 new cases. In all of Australia a total of 800 deaths. It was still in place when there were 3 new cases. Shops & businesses closed, no bars, restaurants,  curfews, 5 km radius, no one allowed to visit etc, only allowed outside for 1 hour, no interstate flights.... complete lockdown. Because of 3 new cases in an elderly home. Folk have gone bananas,  jobs lost. Even with 0 new cases & 0 deaths for 2 weeks. Now it's stage 3. No-one allowed at sporting events. I think NS is doing the right thing given the numbers in England. 

Mate, if Nicola Sturgeon cured cancer tomorrow, the Unionists would be demanding she resigned because of rising unemployment amongst oncologists.

How about failing to lock down in February when a major outbreak was reported? Instead the people we told go to the football, go to concerts, go to Murrayfield with 20000 french fans (France a month ahead of us on the curve) 

How about sanctioning the dispatch of thousands of pensioners into the care system resulting in thousands of deaths? Half of our COVID deaths have been in care homes.  Comparable nations of Denmark, Norway, Slovakia, Finland count their casein hundreds, we are currently over 4000.

Truth is, ‘Nicola’  could flay a litter of kittens live on TV and the Nats would find a way of blaming Westminster. This cult  need called out it’s getting like North Korea. Look at this nauseating tripe produce from a publicly funded broadcaster.....

what kind of political movement would use kids in this way?

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

How about failing to lock down in February when a major outbreak was reported? Instead the people we told go to the football, go to concerts, go to Murrayfield with 20000 french fans (France a month ahead of us on the curve) 

How about sanctioning the dispatch of thousands of pensioners into the care system resulting in thousands of deaths? Half of our COVID deaths have been in care homes.  Comparable nations of Denmark, Norway, Slovakia, Finland count their casein hundreds, we are currently over 4000.

Truth is, ‘Nicola’  could flay a litter of kittens live on TV and the Nats would find a way of blaming Westminster. This cult  need called out it’s getting like North Korea. Look at this nauseating tripe produce from a publicly funded broadcaster.....

Would never have thought I would ever agree with an Arab but there you go . Wee Adolf Sturgeon has a lot to answer to after this shit is finished ,Too many blinkers believe her bullshit .

2 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

How could Scotland lockdown in February without the powers to issue Furlough etc? 

Like it or not, that decision had to come from Westminster. It’s not a devolved issue.

In fact, less than a month ago, as England was announcing emergency funding for areas in England like Manchester, the other home nations STILL had no idea if they would be able to utilise the same emergency funding if required or if we had to “lockdown” with England to get it. 

8 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

If more than 50% of the population is a “cult”, what word do you use to describe the rest?

In your case, Tory Boy, a very similar word would do.....

Poor smarmy, your blind hatred of anything the Scottish Government does really appears to be closing your mind. Let’s examine your first two paragraphs. As already stated the SG does not have the powers to furlough, had we independent we would have been able to borrow funds, as WM have done. I’m sure furloughing in Scotland would be continuing longer in that set up.

Freeing hospital beds by moving folk to homes was pressed for by Carlaw and Labour and agreed by all parties. Plus, research has shown most COVID cases in care homes resulted from the movement of staff between homes. An example is the care home on Skye where staff were shipped in from London. Also, privately run care homes had higher rates of incidences than LA run homes. Who runs private homes? Primarily Tory donors with Tory ministers on their boards!

you compare rates in Scotland with that in similar size countries. A key difference is they have full control of borders airports etc. Scotland needs indie to do that.

as for the video.....oh dear, I thought you were a grown man.

14 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Looks like Wales 2 week firewall didn't have any effect so they are having another one.

Could be Sweden took the right path & we have caused economical damage that our kids & grandchildren will be paying for for decades.

You mean Sweden who admitted they got it wrong first time around and are currently having a wave themselves 

23 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Must be a hell of a lot of control freaks out there, because virtually every country is doing the same - many of them for longer, and more severely. I’m sure your right though - restricting travel was never going to control a virus which, in Scotland at the moment, is - checks notes - predominantly a strain which started in Spain and was spread in July and August by idiots going on holiday to Spain, despite NS begging them not to..

Oh.

Look what I started! I can’t speak for other countries, even England. Their governments are also exerting control. Clearly, as you say, if borders are closed no one brings it in. Tiers and levels are fine, but too broad of you think of some council areas. Also, our determination to celebrate Christmas will cause a surge a couple of weeks later, as lots of people will ignore the 8 people, 3 households rule. It’s a mad world, whoever is in charge, if anyone is.

Oh ffs take some responsibility for the decisions taken.  She should have locked down Glasgow, she did not!  She has always had the powers to lock down or close borders (she has just done it). 

I know, I know Boris! , Tooriez! Boris! Tooriez! Feeble and worn out.   Freeman still in a job? Swinney still in a job? Ferrier still in a job? Dodgy Derek, still in a job? Pathetic! No leadership no control 3rd worst death rate on the planet.  Treating parliament with utter contempt.  Time to boot this lot into touch. The good people of Perth South did just that yesterday, change is coming! :D

Why should I take responsibility for dodgy PPE contracts going to Tory pals, for even more dodgy test and trace system going to Tory pals, for a UK leader who hides in a fridge.....christ, the list goes on.

3rd worst death rate, not last time I looked. 67.3 per 100,000 in Scotland and 89.6 in England (the highest of the home nations),  23rd and 6th respectively based on today’s data.

you are the definition of partisan.

Kevin Hague! The failed pet food salesman who decided one morning he was an economist? That no one asks on to the Unionist media anymore because he’s so Batshit Crazy British Nationalist that he’s too much even for them? Hilarious.

Tory Boy, you’ve jumped so far over the shark, you’ve stopped being annoying and become a hilarious self-parody of the Angry Twitter Yoon. This is great entertainment. 

More, please. Do the one about how Sturgeon is a secret lesbian living with a French diplomat in a house in Auchterarder - Yoon Twitter does that once a week or so, always good for a laugh. 

Boris’ Barmy Army.

6 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

I don’t know where the FT are getting their data but you seem to be suggesting that the UK gov is manipulating stats to make Scotland’s death rate lower than England. My data above is from  here https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

And these graphics are something to be proud of ? The problem with this island and I emphasise “island “ its we won’t do as we’re told, whether it’s from that tool Boris or little Nicola Hitler using a global pandemic trying to to split up our wee island to jump over the water with some dodgy folk in Brussels is actually very sad . Mon tae **** let’s stick together here . 

No, these are not graphics to be proud of but blatant lies need addressing.

as for your later comments, it is not NS splitting the UK (which BTW is already split into 4 nations) and rejoining the EU, it looks to be the will of the people judging by recent polls and the EU referendum results in Scotland.

Anyway, the recent bill and JRM comments suggest we will end up as one country, an end to devolved parliaments. May as well do away with the 4 nations sports teams and have UK wide leagues, none of this SPFL nonsense. Then we will all be sticking together :)