January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

What signings should we be looking to do in the January transfer window?

Overall - not much is needed given the financial situation. My thinking is that signing up some players on longer-term contracts would be a good idea. A loan singing who might play on the left of the 3 strikers (essentially cover for Wotherspoon) wouldn't be a bad option if cheap, same can be said for a young centre-back. Both of these would only be back-ups, so either need to be loan players or young players making the step up from the division below.

The key thing might be preparing for next season, and deciding if players like Conway and Bryson are getting another season or not. If not, looking for pre-contracts isn't a bad idea.

I've heard good things about Laurent Robert's son at Airdrie, but I'm not sure what position he plays - a potential Wotherspoon back-up? If Hamilton look like they're going down, I've always like David Templeton, but he's injury prone.

Wouldnt touch Templeton - he's past it now I think and only stands out in Accies cos they're so rubbish.

Dont think we need cover on the left. In theory Melamed can play there, Liam can switch out there and if needed Tanser could play in front of Booth. 

I think Callum will be trying to identify new recruits fairly early - Covid will go a long way to determining not just our finances but also the number and/or quality of players that may become available at other clubs. 

56 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Wouldnt touch Templeton - he's past it now I think and only stands out in Accies cos they're so rubbish.

Dont think we need cover on the left. In theory Melamed can play there, Liam can switch out there and if needed Tanser could play in front of Booth. 

I think Callum will be trying to identify new recruits fairly early - Covid will go a long way to determining not just our finances but also the number and/or quality of players that may become available at other clubs. 

Not a chance either Tanser or Craig could play Wotherspoon’s role on the left! Ones a defender and the other doesn’t have the pace and legs to do it. Both would be an unmitigated disaster. I think people need to realise that the position only works due to Wotherspoon’s energy and ability. It’s why O’Halloran struggled on the other side, he doesn’t have the game awareness to do it. I’m not against finding a long term replacement though, as Spoony is now the wrong side of 30 and whilst his game never relied on pace, he’s only going to slow down. 

Spoony minds me of the sheerin never blessed with pace but brilliant football player,few contracts up end of season Stevie may,spoony,MOH,tanser guys we differently needb signed up along with muzz etc have a good squad there think we should save our money for next season to be honest we have players who are flexible and can play in alot of positions

Edited by tucker

51 minutes ago, tucker said:

Spoony minds me of the sheerin never blessed with pace but brilliant football player,few contracts up end of season Stevie may,spoony,MOH,tanser guys we differently needb signed up along with muzz etc have a good squad there think we should save our money for next season to be honest we have players who are flexible and can play in alot of positions

We have to at least extend Craig,Kane & Booths contacts to have enough players to hopefully see us through to the end of the season & hope to avoid too many injuries & suspension.

Risky.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

We have to at least extend Craig,Kane & Booths contacts to have enough players to hopefully see us through to the end of the season & hope to avoid too many injuries & suspension.

Risky.

I'd sign all three yes I'd just keep the current squad till the season ends 

I'd be happy if our main pieces of business were contract extensions (and in particular holding onto at least two of the three players whose deals are due to expire in January). Under the circumstances I don't think we need any new signings. If we do bring in anyone I'd expect it to be a loan deal.

The business Saints did this summer was short-term, with loans and two aging players. Folk excused this by using the pandemic and that's fair enough but with the end now hopefully in sight, it's important they don't stand still. 

We still have the smallest squad in the league and have maintained success over the last 15 years by never needing large overhauls. 

So whilst it's easy and tempting to talk about loans in January, this needs to be balanced against preventing the requirement for a big turnover this summer. 

The model started by Tommy, which Callum seems to be continuing, is to pump money into the better youth players, and keep a few wise old heads to help mentor them. 

That suggests to me Craig will stay (future coach, surely?), Kane will go. 

The other out of contracts? Depends how much cash they ask for, and whether anyone else will pay them any more. The answers, sadly, are probably “less” and “no”. I reckon most will stay if Callum wants them. But any new manager looks to make their mark through signings, and has lists of players he reckons he has seen something in others haven’t. Some existing players would have to go to make room. So there could be some surprises.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

16 hours ago, tucker said:

Stevie may,spoony,MOH,tanser guys we differently needb signed up along with muzz etc

If we do not sign them. They will instruct their agents to try and find a team for next season. We are not the biggest salary payers and other clubs may take a chance on them as they are a free transfer.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Contract extensions for all out of contract players is a must. There is nobody in the squad I would be unhappy for us to extend. Maybe allow Bryson & Conroy to go if we can bring in better & younger.

Not sure if any of the guys loaned out are ready to step into their shoes.

Is Conroy a new signing :laugh:

11 hours ago, Johnny B said:

If we do not sign them. They will instruct their agents to try and find a team for next season. We are not the biggest salary payers and other clubs may take a chance on them as they are a free transfer.

I'm sure Mays deal was two year plus one if club wanted, don't think the others will be Hard to get over the line,I'd like to see mccart on longer deal 

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

Thought he was one of those expiring this summer, clearly. 

Luckily he's one of the few not.

State of play is...

2023: Ali McCann

2022: Zander Clark, Jason Kerr, Jamie McCart, Shaun Rooney, Callum Hendry

2021: Elliot Parish, Liam Gordon, Craig Bryson, Murray Davidson, David Wotherspoon, Craig Conway, Guy Melamed, Stevie May.

January 2021: Callum Booth, Liam Craig, Chris Kane

To me, Gordon, Davidson, Wotherspoon and May have to be the priorities once those out in January have their deals extended.

Edited by RandomGuy

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Luckily he's one of the few not.

State of play is...

2023: Ali McCann

2022: Zander Clark, Jason Kerr, Jamie McCart, Shaun Rooney, Callum Hendry

2021: Elliot Parish, Liam Gordon, Craig Bryson, Murray Davidson, David Wotherspoon, Craig Conway, Guy Melamed, Stevie May.

January 2021: Callum Booth, Liam Craig, Chris Kane

To me, Gordon, Davidson, Wotherspoon and May have to be the priorities once those out in January have their deals extended.

Agree with your last sentence & would think most except May would be happy to sign.