January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

1 hour ago, Jenko82 said:

In saying that I am fully expecting the one out, one in patter again, which comes every window. Dreary stuff.

Surely that's fair enough this time, though? The club is probably going to have to go the entire season without a single paying fan coming through the gate. Steve Brown's been weirdly quiet on the impact of that so far but I can't imagine the picture is a particularly rosey one. I really don't think this is the time to push the boat out in the transfer market. If anything, I think CD did very well to get the board to sanction the Melamed signing under the circumstances - and for what? Right now that signing seems like a big waste of money. 

To be honest I'm still of the opinion that the squad we have is good enough. The onus absolutely has to be on Davidson to start getting the best out of them.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Surely that's fair enough this time, though? The club is probably going to have to go the entire season without a single paying fan coming through the gate. Steve Brown's been weirdly quiet on the impact of that so far but I can't imagine the picture is a particularly rosey one. I really don't think this is the time to push the boat out in the transfer market. If anything, I think CD did very well to get the board to sanction the Melamed signing under the circumstances - and for what? Right now that signing seems like a big waste of money. 

To be honest I'm still of the opinion that the squad we have is good enough. The onus absolutely has to be on Davidson to start getting the best out of them.

I think you are correct on both counts with regard to sanctioning of signings and Davidson needing to find a way to get the squad to perform.

I suppose in my last post I was getting at, was investment being needed to play the current system. I think there is perhaps other systems that would get the best out of the squad without too much tinkering with personnel.

17 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Might as well let Guy Melamed go back home at this point. 

Callum Davidson says he's struggling to use Israeli striker Guy Melamed because St Johnstone can't organise bounce games to get him up to match sharpness. (Courier)

If Callum had played him for at least half an hour in all the games since he arrived, who thinks he would be up to match sharpness and I would bet we would be no worse off as far as points are concerned

Going by this if we bring anyone in, he must be up to sharpness or he will not get a game. Therefore no point in bringing anyone in who has not been playing regularly. But wait no team is going to loan out a player who is playing regularly.

No signings in this window.

One last question in Brown (McNamara's replacement) match sharp?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/league-position-makes-difficult-throw-23241947

The most alarming interview I have read from a Saints manager for a while.

Very short sighted, very backwards and not a good advert for our football club for attracting prospective players to the club.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/league-position-makes-difficult-throw-23241947

Very short sighted, very backwards and not a good advert for our football club for attracting prospective players to the club.

Very very worrying. 

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Retard journo' watching Saints TV.

@Cagey

It’s a direct quote from Callum:

“He’s got qualities but it’s a difficult balance for me. It’s probably my fault for not throwing him in – there’s that trust issue

I thought Kano was excellent again and I trust him to do the other side of the game for me.”

Really poor stuff from us. Convince a guy to sign, locked in a hotel room for over 2 weeks with an exercise bike, some weights and a training program. Declare him fit enough in November and then let him rot on the bench while Kane misses guilt edge chances, O’Halloran let’s the team down badly by getting sent off, bounces straight back into the team AND misses a guilt edge chance to win the match. Really really poor from us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55494058

Watch 30-35 seconds - May miss

Watch 45-50 seconds - Kane toothless

Watch 1:20-1:30 - Kane sitter

Watch 1:55-2:00 O’Halloran sitter

And that’s just from a 2 minute highlight reel. How Callum can’t see that our strikers aren’t doing their primary job and we are heading towards relegation. We don’t need someone to trust, we need someone to score goals. Melamed deserves at least 20-30 mins to be in with a fighting chance of getting “match sharp”.

2 minutes ago, dave mc said:

He’s a Saints fan, and plays for our supporters team, an excellent player, better than Kane imo, so your point is invalid 

What point is invalid ?.

He writes for the Record.

I think he is a journalist.

The content is word for word the interview on Saints TV.

If he was better than Kane he wouldn't be a journalist.

54 minutes ago, Cagey said:

What point is invalid ?.

He writes for the Record.

I think he is a journalist.

The content is word for word the interview on Saints TV.

If he was better than Kane he wouldn't be a journalist.

He was at the game,he would get the same interview as Saints tv,plenty better players don’t take up football as a career 

2 minutes ago, dave mc said:

He was at the game,he would get the same interview as Saints tv,plenty better players don’t take up football as a career 

It was an interview with Ross. Don't know what you are getting upset about as most journalists pick up their info from websites & forums. Or share stories with eachother..

The comments in the interview are really odd. To my mind, he's either lying and there are bigger reasons for not playing Melamed (does his deal link to appearances?) or he genuinely doesn't know how to bed in a new player who might not immediately be first choice. Was this why the other loanee from Millwall went home so quickly without a chance too? It doesn't look good.

3 minutes ago, Linky said:

The comments in the interview are really odd. To my mind, he's either lying and there are bigger reasons for not playing Melamed (does his deal link to appearances?) or he genuinely doesn't know how to bed in a new player who might not immediately be first choice. Was this why the other loanee from Millwall went home so quickly without a chance too? It doesn't look good.

I’ve an idea:

Give him a fitness program .. done!

Get him on the training pitch .. done!

Get him fitter with a bounce game .. done!

Bring him on as a sub for last 20 mins .. oh wait, we just stick him straight in the starting line up against Hibs and were surprised, shocked and angry that he was breathing out of his arse after 50 minutes.

Since he was subbed off after 60 mins against Hibs he has only played another 30 minutes of football.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

It was an interview with Ross. Don't know what you are getting upset about as most journalists pick up their info from websites & forums. Or share stories with eachother..

Not upset at all,you implied he was a record reporter that  got his Info from tv,but he was at the game and spoke to Callum,so just putting out the facts instead of guessing

Reading the above posts and the article, the worrying thing to me is not what we have done with this guy since he arrived at McD but what on earth were we thinking about signing him in the first place?  It seems he was off the pace and not near match fitness from the start.  Do we not give players a fitness test and a medical before we sign them?

51 minutes ago, south inch said:

Reading the above posts and the article, the worrying thing to me is not what we have done with this guy since he arrived at McD but what on earth were we thinking about signing him in the first place?  It seems he was off the pace and not near match fitness from the start.  Do we not give players a fitness test and a medical before we sign them?

At that time we were desperate for a striker.

Nothing has changed.

19 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I’ve an idea:

Give him a fitness program .. done!

Get him on the training pitch .. done!

Get him fitter with a bounce game .. done!

Bring him on as a sub for last 20 mins .. oh wait, we just stick him straight in the starting line up against Hibs and were surprised, shocked and angry that he was breathing out of his arse after 50 minutes.

Since he was subbed off after 60 mins against Hibs he has only played another 30 minutes of football.

I agree. Either this has been managed incredibly poorly, or something else is going on.

1 hour ago, Templar Saint said:

How much energy does it take to hang around the oppositions 18 yard box and then put the ball in the net.

A striker like that used to be called a poacher and did not have to run around looking for the ball.

Maybe our striker coach teach them but hasn't done in past 5 months. In fact they have gone backwards.

On 12/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, Linky said:

Apparently the OF are interested in Robert now. Should've listened to me!

Dundee United apparently have put in an offer.

Were they not trying to cut staff wages as they were broke.

Maybe using the SPFL loan & get further into debt.