January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

On 1/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Northampton Town apparently recently offered a better deal to a player than what we could muster so I think our options will be even more limited than usual this term.

Even under normal circumstances I'd expect an English League One club to be offering better deals to players than Saints could compete with.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

There's no guaranteed money coming our way for McCann. I don't think Saints will be operating under an assumption that a big transfer fee is heading our way. If it does come in it will be a bonus.

I'm not sure how long £2m would last for Saints at a time when full player salaries are being honoured with very little money coming in.

I'm not advocating letting the squad fall apart, but at the same time I don't think we should be looking at the way other clubs chuck money around and expecting Saints to use those clubs as a model to copy. If we get to a point where we're kicking off next season and still have restricted or no crowds, we might very easily start to see these other clubs fall into serious problems. Some of them surely can't be all that far away from financial trouble.

To be honest it still doesn't sit well with me that some of the clubs merrily boasting about signing new players are the same ones who were pressuring their players into taking pay cuts not so long ago.

It's hard because nobody knows how long this will last, but not investing in the squad at all will lead us down a bad path.

Just now the squad is the smallest in the league, and will likely have one of the smallest wage bills too. The manager gets almost no financial support with Bryson apparently on virtually a pay-per-play deal, it means his only real signings this Summer were Conway and Melamed.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Even under normal circumstances I'd expect an English League One club to be offering better deals to players than Saints could compete with.

League One/Two clubs have wage caps now, believe its around £2.5k a week they can offer up to.

That's probably around our very highest limit, but they can only offer a few players that so there's bound to some who slip through the net.

27 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Utd looking to break the bank fir Declan Gallagher after pleading poverty.

4 hours ago, Cagey said:

Yeah,Hibs signed him & Cadden. Did Hibs not cut wages earlier this season ?.

Both these clubs should be banned from signing players until they can honour the existing contracts they have with all their staff not just those that kick a ball.

Also I would be a bit wary agreeing a pay structure unless it categorically stated terms and conditions cannot be altered.

Callum said in his latest interview that he was looking at a couple of players but I think it is just talk to placate the fans.

I would think he will add Ballentyne & Robertson to his match day squad to add to Denhalm & Ferguson.

We have really small squad . We are halfway through the season & have not had too many unavailable due to injury & suspension but there are bound to be a few totting up points for suspension.

I think we'll be ok this season, 8th or 9th maybe. My concern is planning for next season. Hearts will be back in the league, and willing to spend to get in the top 6, Hibs are improving, Celtic will want to spend big to catch Rangers, Dundee Utd are throwing around cash, St. Mirren seem to be attracting players that would've previously been out of their reach, Motherwell will be looking to have a better season.

It feels as if next season the league will have swapped one relegation scrapper club (Hamilton is my guess) with a top 6 club in Hearts.

My concern is that, if the squad isn't invested in, we start to look like regular relegation scrappers with the likes of Ross County, Killie, Hamilton and perhaps St. Mirren rather than in the 'mid-table' bracket with Motherwell, Dundee Utd, etc. We can rely less and less on the likes of Craig & Davidson who have been solid performers for us for so long; I'm not sure Bryson and Conway have another season in them; it's not clear that we can extend Melamed's contract due to Brexit regulations.

16 minutes ago, Linky said:

I think we'll be ok this season, 8th or 9th maybe. My concern is planning for next season. Hearts will be back in the league, and willing to spend to get in the top 6, Hibs are improving, Celtic will want to spend big to catch Rangers, Dundee Utd are throwing around cash, St. Mirren seem to be attracting players that would've previously been out of their reach, Motherwell will be looking to have a better season.

It feels as if next season the league will have swapped one relegation scrapper club (Hamilton is my guess) with a top 6 club in Hearts.

My concern is that, if the squad isn't invested in, we start to look like regular relegation scrappers with the likes of Ross County, Killie, Hamilton and perhaps St. Mirren rather than in the 'mid-table' bracket with Motherwell, Dundee Utd, etc. We can rely less and less on the likes of Craig & Davidson who have been solid performers for us for so long; I'm not sure Bryson and Conway have another season in them; it's not clear that we can extend Melamed's contract due to Brexit regulations.

Dundee Utd throwing money around so why ask players to take a cut in wages. Hibs are actually getting worse I thought.

3 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

Dundee Utd throwing money around so why ask players to take a cut in wages. Hibs are actually getting worse I thought.

Not saying what Dundee Utd are doing is right, just that their squad will improve. Hibs have had a bad patch, but are 3rd in the table compared to 7th last season.

30 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Am I alone in thinking the last thing we need is a centre half? If I was spending money anywhere, it would be central midfield. 

we have a very young defence so they will will make mistakes but I have a lot of faith in Kerr, Gordon and McCart. 

I agree with u 100%

16 hours ago, Linky said:

Linky I wish I shared your optimisim. This is going to be a battle like no other and we can't afford any period of sustained poor results like this past month or so.

I agree that looking ahead to next season we need to start overhauling some of the squad but I'm hopeful that if we do manage to keep our heads above water the younger players in the team will take another step forward next season. I think the whole key to everything is going to be Callum Davidson and his staff; CD clearly has a way he wants the team to play and if he's successful and the team adapt we shouldn't need wholesale changes and perhaps address key positions in the squad with whatever money we have available.

17 hours ago, Linky said:

Not disagreeing with you but people say this kind of thing on here every year so I don't think the above is anything new. When some teams get a bit better it means other teams getting a bit worse. Overall I don't see the league changing all that much. The important thing is that we look after ourselves and avoid being one of the teams that gets worse.

Definitely agree that the midfield is a bit of a worry in the long term and we have a lot of older players in that area who won't be at all easy to replace. I think the real big difference for next season is that really we have no idea how CD will handle the task of finding and signing replacement players who are good enough and will fit in.

There is very little in all of the posts on this thread I would disagree with.  However, I am not sure there is a great deal that can be done in a January window, this January in particular.   Most of the signings we hear about are guys who are getting close to having played for the number of clubs you are allowed to carry in a golf bag.  i am more concerned that we don't lose players like Ali McCann.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Not disagreeing with you but people say this kind of thing on here every year so I don't think the above is anything new. When some teams get a bit better it means other teams getting a bit worse. Overall I don't see the league changing all that much. The important thing is that we look after ourselves and avoid being one of the teams that gets worse.

Definitely agree that the midfield is a bit of a worry in the long term and we have a lot of older players in that area who won't be at all easy to replace. I think the real big difference for next season is that really we have no idea how CD will handle the task of finding and signing replacement players who are good enough and will fit in.

Perhaps - it just feels slightly different when looking ahead to next season. Hearts will be back up & Dundee Utd's owners will be pumping more money in. Other clubs, apart from Hamilton seem to be willing to spend more money than us (not saying that it is the right thing to do). Usually you'd look at the likes of St. Mirren and say we've got a much better squad than them. I'm not sure that's going to be the case this time next season, if we can't replace players that leave.

Am I correct and saying at this moment in time the following 10 players contracts expire this year and in this window can sign pre contracts with another club (should another club want them)

Strikers         May Kane Melamed 

Midfielders  Wotherspoon O'Halloran Craig Davidson Bryson Conway

Defenders    Tanser Rooney Booth

If so How long do we wait to offer new contracts? I have read we are discussing them with Wotherspoon and Tanser. That still leaves 8 players.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Am I correct and saying at this moment in time the following 10 players contracts expire this year and in this window can sign pre contracts with another club (should another club want them)

Strikers         May Kane Melamed 

Midfielders  Wotherspoon O'Halloran Craig Davidson Bryson Conway

Defenders    Tanser Rooney Booth

If so How long do we wait to offer new contracts? I have read we are discussing them with Wotherspoon and Tanser. That still leaves 8 players.

You’ve named twelve players