January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

1 hour ago, Widge said:

What do you want saints to be saying.

"Yes, we've taken Gilmour on trial, but at present we're not sure if we want to offer him a deal, so please if you're reading this from any other club feel free to nip in there in front of us. Better yet, speak to his agent and he'll let you know exactly what St Johnstone thought about him, so you don't even need to take him on trial, just offer him what he wants."

Why are people so obsessed about saints revealing every single bit of transfer dealings. It's almost as if we don't want it in the general media or to the attention of every other club in a bid to get deals over the line!

Momentary rant, sorry! I don’t want us to be saying anything until a player signs. Why even announce that we have taken someone on trial? Was it even the club or his agent? 

Prefer the club to keep quiet about players on trial/ or offers made until they have signed up.

Enough speculation by press.

Manager saying speaking to 2 or 3 potential signings is good enough as no indication of who or what position.

No doubt agents will try other clubs and say Saints are going to or very interested in signing but if you offer us more........

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Absolutely brilliant that a young boy can come on trial, the trial ends and you've got meltdowns on here because the club aren't giving a blow by blow detailing of the contract negotiations/he's not signed straight away.

I think "meltdown" is a bit heavy Random. Some folks like to speculate and get excited. I myself never get too excersised about speculation until the guy signs.

16 minutes ago, Linky said:

Does the fact that the rumours are that we're looking at 2 centre midfielders in Kyle Turner and Charlie Gilmour suggest that Ali McCann is on his way? I can't see how we are making space for them otherwise. How long is Bryson's contract?

Doubt it. If Turner signs it’ll be a pre contract I’d imagine at which point McCann may be sold but I’d very much doubt we’d considering selling just now with our current league position. Bryson will be away at the end of the season I’d imagine, pretty sure he only got a year deal.

Turner is a totally different type of player to McCann from what I’ve seen. He’s more attacking with his choice of passing and his movement with the ball. We’re potentially looking at having to replace Davidson, Craig and Bryson in the summer, so I think a McCann replacement is lower down that list entirely. 

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

Turner is a totally different type of player to McCann from what I’ve seen. He’s more attacking with his choice of passing and his movement with the ball. We’re potentially looking at having to replace Davidson, Craig and Bryson in the summer, so I think a McCann replacement is lower down that list entirely. 

Gilmour as holding midfield  Turner attacking midfield.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Gilmour as holding midfield  Turner attacking midfield.

Which in my opinion is required for replacements for Craig & Davidson. Bryson off. McCann probably stay until summer. Turner on a pre-contract makes sense. But reality says Ross/ Motherwell etc will offer turner more.... 

Edited by Melbourne Saint

McCann what offer would be acceptable to the board. I have heard large numbers being thrown about. I think anything over £1 mil would be accepted in any window. I do not see the Old firm bidding for him. Would another Premiership team pay that amount? The best he could expect is a lower team in the English Championship.

If an offer came in his agent would be biting his ear to push it through. Big wages come along very rarely and in the modern gave loyalty means hehaw. 

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

McCann what offer would be acceptable to the board. I have heard large numbers being thrown about. I think anything over £1 mil would be accepted in any window. I do not see the Old firm bidding for him. Would another Premiership team pay that amount? The best he could expect is a lower team in the English Championship.

If an offer came in his agent would be biting his ear to push it through. Big wages come along very rarely and in the modern gave loyalty means hehaw. 

With a contract until 2023 the only person able to bite anyone’s hand/ear is Stevie Brown. 

1 hour ago, Stumpy1966 said:

With a contract until 2023 the only person able to bite anyone’s hand/ear is Stevie Brown. 

Seen it many a time before. Players form drop because they are unhappy at not being allowed to leave the club and some even refusing to play (or if selected not trying) We will not keep McCann until 2023. Also we do not know if there was a minimum release clause, Which his agent would have put in if he signed for that length of time.

Personally  the only part of that I agree with is 2023 bit,however  players like Chris Millar Steven Anderson  Chris Kane Danny Griffin  Murray Davidson  Zander Clark are some examples that the grass isn't always greener and he might be happy to stay beyond 2023 for security  amongst other reasons we don't know 

Liam Craig Roddy Grant  MOH  being examples 

Apparently the Chairman has told Gilmour that we're looking for a striker rather than a midfielder. He's still training with the squad, but thinks it's unlikely he'll be offered a deal.

We have 4 strikers, 2 of which are starting to form a good partnership. Is this the Chairman pulling his usual stunts? If we wanted a striker, why did we bring him on trial?