January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

27 minutes ago, south inch said:

Guy has dual nationality so do we know which one was used when he signed?  At present he seems to have hopes of playing for Israel and if he keeps up his present form he will soon be on their radar if he isn't already.  If he plays for Israel would that make a difference?  It would be a pity not to be able to renew his contract because of Brexit.

It's not about choosing which one you are. He is an EU citizen and that's all that matters. In the same way, Wotherspoon has both Canadian & Scottish nationality. Just because he plays for Canada, doesn't mean he loses his Scottish nationality or EU citizenship. There are only a few countries in the world (mainly nationalistic/Communist like Laos for example) that allow you to only have one nationality.

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Do you know that for definite? I've seen him say in interviews that his parents have Lithuanian passports, but he didn't mention having one himself.

Yes - that's how he was able to sign without a work permit. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible. If one of his parents was born in Lithuanian, he also has citizenship. This is why he can also play for Lithuania if he wants. For example, Bitton, Marciano, etc. all needed work permits as they don't have another nationality.

The one thing I don't know is whether, under the new Brexit rules regarding work permits for those with EU citizenship, whether a player who is already playing for you is exempt. In other words, can you renew a contract without going through the points system?

Edited by Linky

51 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Do you know that for definite? I've seen him say in interviews that his parents have Lithuanian passports, but he didn't mention having one himself.

He talks in an article about being eligible to play for Lithuania as his parents are from there so suspect he will or could get a passport. 

Edited by mainstand

5 hours ago, Linky said:

It's not about choosing which one you are. He is an EU citizen and that's all that matters. In the same way, Wotherspoon has both Canadian & Scottish nationality. Just because he plays for Canada, doesn't mean he loses his Scottish nationality or EU citizenship. There are only a few countries in the world (mainly nationalistic/Communist like Laos for example) that allow you to only have one nationality.

I hope you are right.  I was thinking in football terms.  I am not sure if having played for Canada Spoony could now play for Scotland but happily that is no bar to him playing for Saints.  Of course he remains a Scot, playing for Canada had no effect on that, but because of Brexit he is no longer an EU citizen so far as things stand presently.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

I hope you are right.  I was thinking in football terms.  I am not sure if having played for Canada Spoony could now play for Scotland but happily that is no bar to him playing for Saints.  Of course he remains a Scot, playing for Canada had no effect on that, but because of Brexit he is no longer an EU citizen so far as things stand presently.

Great - I'd hate to think of Barca and AC Milan sniffing about for him tomorrow. :D

10 hours ago, south inch said:

Sorry, yes you’re right. Wotherspoon has dual nationality. I don’t think he could switch to playing for Scotland though due to his Canada caps (you can only do so if the caps were friendlies I think). He’s no longer an EU citizen.

I think what we’re yet to see is how this will effect football in Scotland as a whole. The English Premier League will be largely unchanged. The sort of players they usually bring in will pass the points test. There will be a bit more leeway for them bringing in players from South America, etc. that they couldn’t before. For the English Championship &, to a lesser extent League 1, it’s different. Some filled their squads with average Spanish & French players, who they brought in from smaller clubs. This won’t be possible in many cases anymore. They will look to Scotland, as we’re seeing already in this window.

This will mean the price of our players will increase. But also, our squads will be decimated. I could see plenty of Championship clubs willing to pay big money for average players up here. Perhaps this is good in the long run, financially speaking, but I am concerned about what the SPL will look like when key players have left (although usually they come back after a few years for free having not made the grade!). 

9 minutes ago, Linky said:

Sorry, yes you’re right. Wotherspoon has dual nationality. I don’t think he could switch to playing for Scotland though due to his Canada caps (you can only do so if the caps were friendlies I think). He’s no longer an EU citizen.

I think what we’re yet to see is how this will effect football in Scotland as a whole. The English Premier League will be largely unchanged. The sort of players they usually bring in will pass the points test. There will be a bit more leeway for them bringing in players from South America, etc. that they couldn’t before. For the English Championship &, to a lesser extent League 1, it’s different. Some filled their squads with average Spanish & French players, who they brought in from smaller clubs. This won’t be possible in many cases anymore. They will look to Scotland, as we’re seeing already in this window.

This will mean the price of our players will increase. But also, our squads will be decimated. I could see plenty of Championship clubs willing to pay big money for average players up here. Perhaps this is good in the long run, financially speaking, but I am concerned about what the SPL will look like when key players have left (although usually they come back after a few years for free having not made the grade!). 

What could be really exciting for Scottish football and particularly clubs like Saints, is if an English lower league(s) wage cap is introduced.

I believe it is being seriously discussed south of the border at the moment for League One and League Two. Even murmurs that The English Championship could end up involved. Fingers crossed!

14 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

What could be really exciting for Scottish football and particularly clubs like Saints, is if an English lower league(s) wage cap is introduced.

I believe it is being seriously discussed south of the border at the moment for League One and League Two. Even murmurs that The English Championship could end up involved. Fingers crossed!

League One/Two implemented a wage cap at the start of this season, I believe.

28 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Incredible that someone who was such a star here can't a game at hibs.

He was a winger who couldn't score, had about 2 assists in his league career with us, and ended up as a wing back because his only competition for that place was Ralston.

The most surprising thing about the whole thing was Hibs signing him at all.