January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Letting Hendry leave leaves us 3 first choice recognised  strikers. This tells me that CD does not see a front 2 as his preferred formation. With Middleton a winger his replacement in the squad it points to 1 up and 2 in narrow support.

He has and could play MOH up front and also has Robertson, the young striker. So rather than 3 he actually has 5

I think he will play 2 when he thinks it appropriate to do so, as he did on Saturday. 

11 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I think it’ll probably take him a couple of months to get up to speed. 

I see it as us giving him a shot rather than the other way about. If he does well, I’m sure we’ll extend 

Does anyone know much about him, apart from a Scots U 21, Norwich player, loaned out to some Dutch 2nd tier mob. Focus seems to be "he trained with Õzil & Lacazette". Just says CM. What sort of CM? A couple of months to get up to speed means he'll only have 6 weeks or so to prove himself. Unless season extended. Or CD wants a good look at him before a permanent move later?

48 minutes ago, mainstand said:

He has and could play MOH up front and also has Robertson, the young striker. So rather than 3 he actually has 5

I think he will play 2 when he thinks it appropriate to do so, as he did on Saturday. 

Have not seen Robertson. We have tried MOH on many occasions as a striker 1 up and 2 with no success.  The only role I see for MOH is the number 10 role behind the 2 strikers. An injury, suspension and we could be down to at the most 2 first choice strikers, if that situation does arise, I still see CD playing 1 up front with 2 behind narrow rather than start MOH or Robertson as a striker. Which is a pity as we play our best at 3.4.1.2 and Hendry fits into that formation as 1 of our 4 first choice strikers.

But he may be away for financial reasons as it was stated 1 out 1 in. Hendry out and Gilmour in.

55 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Does anyone know much about him, apart from a Scots U 21, Norwich player, loaned out to some Dutch 2nd tier mob. Focus seems to be "he trained with Õzil & Lacazette". Just says CM. What sort of CM? A couple of months to get up to speed means he'll only have 6 weeks or so to prove himself. Unless season extended. Or CD wants a good look at him before a permanent move later?

Comfortable with both feet, playmaker who likes to sit in front of the back four. Good range of passing. Not the greatest tackler.

5 minutes ago, Linky said:

I’m concerned about the Hendry deal. I have this horrible feeling that Mcinnes will sign him for peanuts in the summer, iron out his failings and turn him into a really good player.

I would be worried if it were anyone other than McInnes.

I don't really understand the transfer from our point of view, hopefully the move is good for him but that will only be valid if it is good for us next season.

Might be wrong but I have a feeling McInnes has played a blinder in getting Hendry. I'm going to predict that he'll do very well for Aberdeen. Just because Saints have wasted him this season doesn't mean another team will. I think the guy will get a big confidence boost from this move and when he's on the pitch he'll get more chances to score than he did at Saints. From McInnes' perspective, worst case scenario is that he's brought in a striker who'll be a useful impact sub (a role he's played very well for Saints) and probably isn't costing much.

Of course it could work out well for Saints too. If he does well there we've suddenly got him firing on all cylinders for next season - either to come back in and do well for us, or head somewhere else for a much better transfer fee than we'd have got otherwise. If he does nothing, we won't really have lost anything out of it.

It does arguably leave us a little short of strikers but I think the fact that we've swapped a striker (Hendry) for another wide player (Middleton) says everything about how CD sees us lining up more often than not.

56 minutes ago, Linky said:

I’m concerned about the Hendry deal. I have this horrible feeling that Mcinnes will sign him for peanuts in the summer, iron out his failings and turn him into a really good player.

I was saying just last week how strange it was that Hendry had dropped down the pecking order; I'm surprised at letting him go but hope we get him back. He is the epitome of an old fashioned centre forward and will score goals given a proper chance.

For what it's worth, Rangers fans think Middleton is better down the middle and central rather than a winger. I think based on where he popped up against Aberdeen, he's actually Spoony's replacement in games who can play wide if required, but is better behind a front 2.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

For what it's worth, Rangers fans think Middleton is better down the middle and central rather than a winger. I think based on where he popped up against Aberdeen, he's actually Spoony's replacement in games who can play wide if required, but is better behind a front 2.

MOH plays that role and was man of the match the last time he played there, so I do not think he was brought in for the number 10 role. If he was that would give us 3 players for 1 position (which is good ) but if this was the case he would have kept Hendry (4 players for 2 striker positions). These comings and goings points to CD playing his favoured 1 striker 3.4.3.

Middleton gives us 4 players for the 2 wide players (Wotherspoon Conway MOH and Middleton) which makes more sense if we are to play 3.4.3 with the lone striker.

Edited by Johnny B

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Might be wrong but I have a feeling McInnes has played a blinder in getting Hendry. I'm going to predict that he'll do very well for Aberdeen. Just because Saints have wasted him this season doesn't mean another team will. I think the guy will get a big confidence boost from this move and when he's on the pitch he'll get more chances to score than he did at Saints. From McInnes' perspective, worst case scenario is that he's brought in a striker who'll be a useful impact sub (a role he's played very well for Saints) and probably isn't costing much.

Of course it could work out well for Saints too. If he does well there we've suddenly got him firing on all cylinders for next season - either to come back in and do well for us, or head somewhere else for a much better transfer fee than we'd have got otherwise. If he does nothing, we won't really have lost anything out of it.

It does arguably leave us a little short of strikers but I think the fact that we've swapped a striker (Hendry) for another wide player (Middleton) says everything about how CD sees us lining up more often than not.

Saints have not ‘wasted’ him this season. Hendry has been awful most of the season and has ‘wasted’ the opportunities he did have! There is a player in there but Im not concerned at all putting him out on loan. He will either show his true potential or reveal his true level

33 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Not being a great tackler. Not the best for a sitting midfielder.

He’s young.. Arguably with Callum Davidson and Alec Clelland as your coaches, is probably not a bad weakness to have.

Especially considering that it will be a real rarity for Saints to sign someone who is already the complete package.

So who was the last player that we were going for, but it didn't work out in time?

Complete conjecture, but I wonder if it depended on getting MOH on loan which didn't work out. I wonder if we were trying to bring Wright back from Hibs on loan perhaps. Maybe Main but he chose to go to Shrewsbury?

1 hour ago, Gas Monkey said:

Saints have not ‘wasted’ him this season. Hendry has been awful most of the season and has ‘wasted’ the opportunities he did have! There is a player in there but Im not concerned at all putting him out on loan. He will either show his true potential or reveal his true level

I disagree. His development has gone backwards this season and from what I've seen I put that down to how he's been used. He started the season as first choice striker but was played on his own with no support so was having to chase the ball all over the pitch instead of playing the role that we saw him excel in last season. For me he played well in those early games, but as soon as May came back to fitness Hendry lost his place in the team because there was only space for one of them. It's basically been a struggle for him ever since. For most of this season we've adopted a system that quite simply doesn't suit any of the four strikers we have. May and Hendry showed last season that they can play well together, and I believe we'd have more points on the board now if we'd played them together in the early stages of this season.

I agree with the second half of your post though.

20 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I disagree. His development has gone backwards this season and from what I've seen I put that down to how he's been used. He started the season as first choice striker but was played on his own with no support so was having to chase the ball all over the pitch instead of playing the role that we saw him excel in last season. For me he played well in those games, but as soon as May came back to fitness Hendry lost his place in the team because there was only space for one of them. It's basically been a struggle for him ever since. For most of this season we've adopted a system that quite simply doesn't suit any of the four strikers we have. May and Hendry showed last season that they can play well together, and I believe we'd have more points on the board now if we'd played them together in the early stages of this season.

I agree with the second half of your post though.

Does anyone know how many of his goals last season came when he started a match? I think his main impact in games has been coming off the bench after 60 minutes. 

1 hour ago, Gas Monkey said:

Sorry I'm not having this. He was our first choice striker last year and made that position his own by some great performances scoring vital goals to get us away from trouble. May and him were brilliant together and I recall him in the Cup match at McD against Celtic when he ran their defence in to the ground and his first touch was exceptional. I want him back or serious dough.

Think CD just wants to see Hendry get games. He cant improve if he doesnt get game time but we've got a few in front of him. Hendry is a great finisher but theres other parts of his game that are behind the others. CD also got a loyalty to his pal...Hendry Snr so it the best for everyone. Hopefully he gets his chance at Aberdeen.