January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

I wonder whether Davidson was looking for a striker, and after Melamed's performance on Saturday, isn't any longer! Still think we need a centre back. We really need to get contracts sorted and pre-contracts signed as replacements for those whose contracts won't be renewed.

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Maybe we're less keen on chucking money around at new players at a time when the business has barely any income?

Northampton Town apparently recently offered a better deal to a player than what we could muster so I think our options will be even more limited than usual this term.

The fact that Melamed has shown an early glimpse into his potential and Stevie May is now being forced to fight for his right to start(the hope is that it makes him more hungry than perhaps he has been) possibly suggests that Callum might put a striker on the back burner post-Dundee United

That said, our opponents on Saturday were previously running with Lee Erwin(someone who we have previously been linked with) and Jon Obika(scored against us recently), have now recognised that goals are vital to survival and have added Eamonn Brophy(who has 34 Scottish Premiership goals in his short Premiership career) and Collin Quaner (who has 6 English Championship goals to his name and lists Union Berlin as a previous employer).

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

14 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Northampton Town apparently recently offered a better deal to a player than what we could muster so I think our options will be even more limited than usual this term.

The fact that Melamed has shown an early glimpse into his potential and Stevie May is now being forced to fight for his right to start(the hope is that it makes him more hungry than perhaps he has been) possibly suggests that Callum might put a striker on the back burner post-Dundee United

That said, our opponents on Saturday were previously running with Lee Erwin(someone who we have previously been linked with) and Jon Obika(scored against us recently), have now recognised that goals are vital to survival and have added Eamonn Brophy(who has 34 Scottish Premiership goals in his short Premiership career) and Collin Quaner (who has 6 English Championship goals to his name and lists Union Berlin as a previous employer).

I think we all know that it's going to be a quiet window and we need to hold our water.

We are a decent side and we haven't enjoyed any good fortune at all this season - even thinking back to the start of the season when we threw away the re arranged Aberdeen game and followed it up with Hibs stealing the points at the death. 

I think our fortune will change and I think there will be a last minute addition to the squad. There's loads of good players looking for teams and we are a good place to showcase your wares so I'm hoeful we might get a pleasant surprise.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Maybe we're less keen on chucking money around at new players at a time when the business has barely any income?

If we finish in the top 8 is that not a guaranteed £2m+ these days?

Plus we surely have an upcoming sale of Ali McCann in the next year. 

Plus over £2m in the bank at the last accounts.

Counting money while tbe squad falls apart would send us into the second tier for the next decade IMO. Our central midfield contains one u30 player who won't be here in 2 years, plus a collection of players who'll be lucky to contibute regularly next season. It needs addressed.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Counting money while tbe squad falls apart would send us into the second tier for the next decade IMO. Our central midfield contains one u30 player who won't be here in 2 years, plus a collection of players who'll be lucky to contibute regularly next season. It needs addressed.

IF we do go down don't forget those will relegation release clauses in their contracts will also be off should they find another club,

Balancing act, do we risk staying up with what we have or do we try and bring another in, Knowing us we will try and do it the hard way and stick.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, RandomGuy said:

So how much money have you poured into Saints coffers this season to help address if

t?

Can't see saints signing anyone this winter transfer window.saints might have a small squad but it's a strong squad not very many bench warmers . listening to Simon Donnelly have to agree with him.our squad is stronger than most and with guy starting to perform plenty competition for players  now

Do we not have a number of highly regarded young players that play in midfield? I was hearing Cameron Bannatyne getting a good write up while on loan with Montrose, that is the name off the top of my head.

The fact that most of our loans were recalled with a view to moving them up a league might suggest there is some sort of succession planning going on.

9 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

Do we not have a number of highly regarded young players that play in midfield? I was hearing Cameron Bannatyne getting a good write up while on loan with Montrose, that is the name off the top of my head.

The fact that most of our loans were recalled with a view to moving them up a league might suggest there is some sort of succession planning going on.

Ballantyne, and I think Ferguson is a CM too.

I just worry we lose McCann this Summer. Bryson will presumably be away.

That means we'll have Craig who is 34, and Davidson who will be 33, and then 2 untested youngsters, as our options in there. If they fail then we're potentially having to sign 2/3 CMs capable of starting for us in one window. What's the chances of that?

We shouldve signed Jason Holt permanently. 

11 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

Not sure there are too many young midfielders retained in the summer.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

That means we'll have Craig who is 34, and Davidson who will be 33, and then 2 untested youngsters, as our options in there. If they fail then we're potentially having to sign 2/3 CMs capable of starting for us in one window. What's the chances of that?

I agree I think Holt would have been a more astute signing rather than Bryson. As well as printing youth we do need a Matt Butcher type signing, a player at a good age, fairly tall and athletic and has played at a good level and needing first team football. 

There may be some mileage in promoting the young guys to the first team but as you say a bit of a gamble. 

5 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

If we have to sell McCann, punt Bryson and Conway and sign a couple of:

Ross Draper? Liam Polworth? Josh Mullin? Steve Lawson? Ryan Flynn? 

26 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

If we have to sell McCann, punt Bryson and Conway and sign a couple of:

Ross Draper? Liam Polworth? Josh Mullin? Steve Lawson? Ryan Flynn? 

Well both Flynn and Draper are over 30 so defeat the point.

Polworth is a great should and I had no idea his deal was up this Summer. 

Lawson I dunno, Livingston make bad players look good. Mullin has just rejoined them.

There's no guaranteed money coming our way for McCann. I don't think Saints will be operating under an assumption that a big transfer fee is heading our way. If it does come in it will be a bonus.

I'm not sure how long £2m would last for Saints at a time when full player salaries are being honoured with very little money coming in.

I'm not advocating letting the squad fall apart, but at the same time I don't think we should be looking at the way other clubs chuck money around and expecting Saints to use those clubs as a model to copy. If we get to a point where we're kicking off next season and still have restricted or no crowds, we might very easily start to see these other clubs fall into serious problems. Some of them surely can't be all that far away from financial trouble.

To be honest it still doesn't sit well with me that some of the clubs merrily boasting about signing new players are the same ones who were pressuring their players into taking pay cuts not so long ago.