January 2021 Transfer Window

Linky

55 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

Rumours of Callum Hendry loan deal to Aberdeen 

Happy enough with that, as unlikely as it is.

If he is on a decent wage and so far down the pecking order then bank that cash for a player in the summer window.

I mean, he is currently behind Melamed in the pecking order which basically equates to nit existing.

15 hours ago, bankfoot saint said:

Rumours of Callum Hendry loan deal to Aberdeen 

It looks to me like Aberdeen's finances are in a real state, there was lots of talk of no signings being made, etc. The fact that they want to replace the player who is thought to be their best striker with Callum Hendry is quite incredible. I wonder whether they are looking at the table thinking that they can hold on for a top 4 spot, without spending too much money, and regroup for next season then they'll be happy.

15 minutes ago, Linky said:

It looks to me like Aberdeen's finances are in a real state, there was lots of talk of no signings being made, etc. The fact that they want to replace the player who is thought to be their best striker with Callum Hendry is quite incredible. I wonder whether they are looking at the table thinking that they can hold on for a top 4 spot, without spending too much money, and regroup for next season then they'll be happy.

That plus the possibility that Hibs will lose Nisbet & Portious so probably think they have enough to finish 3rd.

Plus they are £5 million in debt. £3 million after Cosgrove gone.

Cosgrove didn't look like a £2 million striker on Wednesday.

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

Our finances won’t be much better if we keep guys like Callum Hendry with no intention of playing him.

A loan works best for everyone - get him off the wage bill, put that money towards a player in the summer window and recall him if we have a striker crisis.

We are currently running with:

1. Chris Kane

2. Stevie May

3. Guy Melamed

4. Callum Hendry

5. John Robertson and Jordan Northcott

All fighting for one position. We should be looking to get an absolute minimum of two of them off the wage bill and look towards next season. Money is going to be tight.

13 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

Why would Brexit rules affect us signing an Israeli?

I was wondering that.

Could be because Israel is in UEFA?

Or it could be because when folk say “Brexit rules” they actually mean the new immigration legislation that came in on the back of Brexit (but arnt actually a direct consequence of Brexit). Points system and all that.

3 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

Why would Brexit rules affect us signing an Israeli?

Melamed is Lithuanian and so an EU citizen, so he didn't need a work permit. If he had been Israeli, it's unlikely he would've got a work permit.

From the FA: 

Post Brexit, clubs will not be able to sign players freely from the EU. Players from EU countries who want to play in the Premier League or EFL will be required to gain a GBE, like all other overseas players without the right to work in the UK. 

The GBE will operate a points-based system, where points are scored for senior and talented young players based on: 
• Senior and youth international appearances
• Quality of the selling club, based on the league they are in, league position and progression in continental competition
• Club appearances, based on domestic league and continental competition minutes

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I was wondering that.

Could be because Israel is in UEFA?

Or it could be because when folk say “Brexit rules” they actually mean the new immigration legislation that came in on the back of Brexit (but arnt actually a direct consequence of Brexit). Points system and all that.

This is due to Brexit. It is the end of free movement of EU players into the UK.

Edited by Linky

11 minutes ago, Tricky6 said:

I’m sure many palms will be greased to allow the ongoing influx into the English Premiership.

The sort of players they will buy will probably qualify - internationals coming from teams who play in European Competitions in the bigger leagues. The points based system negatively effects teams like ours (but also Celtic & Rangers to a degree), as we aren't bringing in the top players.

Looking at Celtic, I imagine players like Barkas, Laxalt and Elyanoussi would qualify. Perhaps less so Kilmaya, Ajer (at least when he was signed) & Shved.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Melamed is Lithuanian and so an EU citizen, so he didn't need a work permit. If he had been Israeli, it's unlikely he would've got a work permit.

Guy has dual nationality so do we know which one was used when he signed?  At present he seems to have hopes of playing for Israel and if he keeps up his present form he will soon be on their radar if he isn't already.  If he plays for Israel would that make a difference?  It would be a pity not to be able to renew his contract because of Brexit.