Celtic V St.Johnstone - December 6th

SaintJet

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thought Griffiths looked offside but obviously not deemed to be interfering.

Rules are along the lines of interfering with an opponent by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Even though commentators said it was a great bit of skill, didnt seem like the header was an attempt at goal. Griffiths did seem to go for the ball but wasnt able to reach it. All open to interpretation I guess. It was jammie but delighted with the point no matter.

Celtic goal was a fluke but it wouldn't have happened if May hadn't given the ball away in middle of the park.

Glad to see Kane get his goal. I have always said he should be our main striker.

2 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Great point! Let's hope MOH injury not too bad. Would like to see CD's post match interview regarding the yellows (or lack of). He'll no doubt get a fine, but someone has to bring Brown into line. Hopefully his last season.

Stats show Celtic 14 fouls 1 booking Saints 8 fouls 5 bookings.. even the commentator on Radio Scotland questioned why we got a couple of the bookings! Reinforces my belief that Brown will never be booked for his first offence as he’d be getting sent off every week! 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Thought Griffiths looked offside but obviously not deemed to be interfering.

Rules are along the lines of interfering with an opponent by:

• preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Even though commentators said it was a great bit of skill, didnt seem like the header was an attempt at goal. Griffiths did seem to go for the ball but wasnt able to reach it. All open to interpretation I guess. It was jammie but delighted with the point no matter.

But you have to be offside when the ball is played and if you look at the point the header was made he was outside the 6 yrad box heading towards goal. Even the Premier League VAR wouldn't have given that; 

2 minutes ago, Wendy Saints said:

Stats show Celtic 14 fouls 1 booking Saints 8 fouls 5 bookings.. even the commentator on Radio Scotland questioned why we got a couple of the bookings! Reinforces my belief that Brown will never be booked for his first offence as he’d be getting sent off every week! 

Don’t know the stats but I would reckon more than 50% of Browns bookings would be in Europe were they don’t put up with his thuggery as much.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Surely you didnt expect to see the incident. They had plenty of time to show where Celtic went wrong in the game but not a mention of a Saints player going off very early in the match after Browns thuggish behaviour that he gets away with week in week out.

Can anyone remember who Brown did the same thing to at McDiarmid?

Im convinced it’s a ploy of his. Nasty b*****d!!

Such an impressive performance from Saints. I think if you were watching that without knowing which team was which, you'd struggle to be able to tell which team was the one with multiple titles behind them and which team was the huge underdog. Certainly it helped that Celtic looked very low on confidence, but it still needed Saints to take advantage of that situation and I actually felt gutted at the end that we only got one point instead of three. Our passing was crisp and fast and our players looked fit and energetic. It really feels like our whole squad has upped the fitness levels this season and we're seeing it on the pitch. So pleased to see Kane get on the scoresheet too.

Hope MOH isn't going to be out for too long, as I think he has a big part to play for us this season.

Outstanding effoert and like evryone I was dissapointed not to get the win. What a flukey goal.

Special praise to Zander - he's taken some stick from fans but he is a top goalkeeper and thrives on confidence- with our defense looking solid he is far more accomplished.

Great to see Kano getting a goal too - I think he should start every week. Get a contract extension done now.

25 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

MOH claiming Brown kicked or stood stood on him while he was on the ground. Looked at the game on saints tv (20 min on the clock) not conclusive but someone has a go at Brown in the aftermath. What a thug who gets away with it AGAIN.

It is conclusive. Its a clear stamp to take a dangerous player out the game.

Seeing Brown's career end with him being vilified by the Celtic support as they "lose" 10 in a row is exactly what he deserves.

Good result ,should have been 3 points but that's the story of our season. We should really be in top 6 but it is unbelievable that there is only 5 points between bottom 6.

Achieved the result  without 4 of our top players so that's s big plus.

Congratulations to Gordon who must have been buzzing captaining is home team to their best result at parkhead for years.

14 hours ago, mainstand said:

But you have to be offside when the ball is played and if you look at the point the header was made he was outside the 6 yrad box heading towards goal. Even the Premier League VAR wouldn't have given that; 

Griffiths had no more idea of what was happening than anybody else, it was simply a clear candidate for the luckiest goal of the season and on a par with the mythical goal Dallas gave against us years ago that even the Celtic players didn't appeal for.

1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Which bookings did he get wrong??

Yeah, for both sides. I can't think of a Saints player who didn't deserve a booking and I couldn't think of a Celtic player who should have been booked. Stumpy's came up with a couple but I can't remember those incidents....granted, I've only watched it once on a random stream.

I suppose my overall point was that we (all fans) moan about refs all the time but when you look back they get more right than they do wrong. I would guess he made the least mistake of anyone on the pitch.  :wink:

5 hours ago, Johnny B said:

MOH claiming Brown kicked or stood stood on him while he was on the ground. Looked at the game on saints tv (20 min on the clock) not conclusive but someone has a go at Brown in the aftermath. What a thug who gets away with it AGAIN.

Couldn't be any more conclusive mate. 

4 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

Yeah, for both sides. I can't think of a Saints player who didn't deserve a booking and I couldn't think of a Celtic player who should have been booked. Stumpy's came up with a couple but I can't remember those incidents....granted, I've only watched it once on a random stream.

I suppose my overall point was that we (all fans) moan about refs all the time but when you look back they get more right than they do wrong. I would guess he made the least mistake of anyone on the pitch.  :wink:

Brown should have been sent off. Christie and Griffiths should have been booked.  Four of Saints were clear yellows, Kane's was soft.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:10 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

Yep. Not offside.

Don't think Zander would have reached it even if Griffiths wasn't where he was.

Best option would have been for Zander to collide with Griffiths. Even then, as someone said, Ref. would probably have awarded a penalty.

Watched it a few times and Griffiths definitely looks like he was in an offside position when the ball was headed however he wasnt blocking Zander's line of vision. If the ball dropped nearer him, even if he hadnt touched it he probably should have penalised for being offside but unfortunately it was a fluke and sailed over them both. So deemed not interfering. 

Terrific result but need to work on holding on to a lead. Really pleased for the team.