Dunfermline v Saints League Cup Quarter Final Tuesday 15/12/2020

garydavidson

We were terrible, just awful. Probably the worst performance of the season. An inability to do the basic things. Every third pass was kicked out of play, there seemed to be no invention or purpose. Surely we've learnt already that Kane up front on his own is just a non-starter? At least against Livingston, and earlier games in the season where we lost, we could pass the ball well, even that had disappeared.

We were lucky to get anything at all out of it, against a poor team. The only thing worse than the game was the commentary.

1 minute ago, Linky said:

We were terrible, just awful. Probably the worst performance of the season. An inability to do the basic things. Every third pass was kicked out of play, there seemed to be no invention or purpose. Surely we've learnt already that Kane up front on his own is just a non-starter? At least against Livingston, and earlier games in the season where we lost, we could pass the ball well, even that had disappeared.

We were lucky to get anything at all out of it, against a poor team. The only thing worse than the game was the commentary.

But harsh we were amazing in first half.

Ok...trying to think of positives....Rooney took his goal well....May, Hendry and to some extent Conway provided a wee spark in the latter part of the second half and the first bit of extra time. Zander saved well in the pens....don't remember him saving many normally.

That's it....well other than we are through.

I sometimes wonder if I am sitting through a different game to the management staff...so many poor passes and poor crosses. Often when there was a decent cross there was no one in the box to take advantage.

Rooney took his goal well....but defensively....toasted on quite a few occasions.

While the front lads had very little to work with, I take it Guy is just there to make up the numbers and having seen him in the flesh Callum just doesn't rate him.

22 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Semis are 23 & 24 Jan, btw, Covid and St Nicola allowing.

you all have vaccines by then? Expecting crowds back or too soon?

Was at the Cleveland browns game last night, about 25% full, governor also allowed us to stay out past the curfew.... but we are also not  too smart here where covids involved

Not a great performance, but in Semis so all that matters.

Terrible watching a QF on a stream and no fans in ground celebrating. An empty semi will be worse! Imagine we get to a final and cannot get there!

Out of interest, how many semis is that now in the last wee while? Since 1989 that must be double figures? 

37 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Was at the Cleveland browns game last night, about 25% full, governor also allowed us to stay out past the curfew.... but we are also not  too smart here where covids involved

Been given link to vaccine just trying to get a bloody appointment every time I try it’s full. So if I get it can I go LAUGH OUT LOUD

9 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Loads of folk will have had one or two jags by then, but very few will yet have immunity (about 5 weeks from first jag).

There are indications the last few months before widespread immunity could be the worst yet. My guess is that, from around February/March, deaths and hospitalisations will start to fall dramatically, but case numbers will not, as young folk take even fewer precautions. Mind it’s only 90-95% effective anyway. 

A token crowd at best, my guess would be none.

Don’t do Christmas, guys. Not killing her really is the best present you could give Granny.

Edited by Abernethy Saint

We really made hard work of that. Could understand needing extra-time and penalties if Dunfermline had shocked us, or even tried to come at us at all, but I was surprised by how poor they were and how little they tested us. The problem is our way of playing is often to dominate teams but struggle to score goals, and we saw that happen yet again here.

Have to say I'm really wondering at this stage why we signed another striker in October. We have four strikers but often start with only one of them. I suggested at the time that there was no need to sign another striker, and I feel that way even more strongly at this point.

Still, of course the important thing is that we're through. Pity Alloa couldn't have held out to get a win against Hibs in their game.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Have to say I'm really wondering at this stage why we signed another striker in October. We have four strikers but often start with only one of them. I suggested at the time that there was no need to sign another striker, and I feel that way even more strongly at this point.

I'm wondering if Melamed was a panic buy. Four strikers to fill one position, and yet Wotherspoon is the only player who naturally plays on that left side.