Dundee United v Saints Saturday 9th January - Tayside Derby

R.B.B:- Adz

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Because he's already tested positive.

This really just brings home how serious this virus is and how easy it is to transmit. We haven't seen the worse of this new strain yet and you can bet it's going to take a toll on our game up here.

Do we resort to a back 4 with MOH (suspended) and Brown (unavailable).Rooney would appear to be the obvious right back. Or will CD keep his back 3 and play Wotherspoon as right wingback. I think Tommy played him as an emergency right back on occasion. Time to shuffle the pack.

Edited by Johnny B

Looks like Guy will at least get some game time. Disappointing if he gets anything less that 20-25 minutes. It’s so tough for a player to come on with 10 mins to go and actually make an impact, especially one who is new(ish) to the club.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1866028/brilliant-guy-melamed-impresses-st-johnstone-boss-callum-davidson/

Id like to see it as a planned introduction with him replacing May at a predetermined point in the match as part of the game plan.

30 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Looks like Guy will at least get some game time. Disappointing if he gets anything less that 20-25 minutes. It’s so tough for a player to come on with 10 mins to go and actually make an impact, especially one who is new(ish) to the club.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1866028/brilliant-guy-melamed-impresses-st-johnstone-boss-callum-davidson/

Id like to see it as a planned introduction with him replacing May at a predetermined point in the match as part of the game plan.

Not sure there is anything in the article to suggest he will definitely get any significant game time.

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Not sure there is anything in the article to suggest he will definitely get any significant game time.

Davidson, who revealed that the 28-year-old can expect to see more action in the near future.

“He’s been brilliant in training,” said the Perth boss. “He’s eager and desperate to get a game. I’ll need to assess it and look at the squad and see where we are.

“Over the next couple of weeks it’s important I try and get him another game and see what he can do.

26 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Davidson, who revealed that the 28-year-old can expect to see more action in the near future.

“He’s been brilliant in training,” said the Perth boss. “He’s eager and desperate to get a game. I’ll need to assess it and look at the squad and see where we are.

“Over the next couple of weeks it’s important I try and get him another game and see what he can do.

Something about Davidson's choice of words whenever he's asked about Melamed makes it seem to me that he's still very reluctant to play him for some reason. The fact that he talks about it being important to "try and get him another game" (only try) and it happening "over the next couple of weeks", rather than actually getting him into the team as a permanent fixture, for example. Has he really been "brilliant" or is CD just trying to not destroy his confidence? If he's genuinely been brilliant, then surely he'll start tomorrow ... right? :?

7 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Something about Davidson's choice of words whenever he's asked about Melamed makes it seem to me that he's still very reluctant to play him for some reason. The fact that he talks about it being important to "try and get him another game" (only try) and it happening "over the next couple of weeks", rather than actually getting him into the team as a permanent fixture, for example. Has he really been "brilliant" or is CD just trying to not destroy his confidence? If he's genuinely been brilliant, then surely he'll start tomorrow ... right? :?

That's exactly how I read that comment. If he's not going to force himself in to team now I can't see it happening. Maybe depending if we got a lower league team in the cup.

I still think we're going to see Hendry come back on song soon. He was oustanding towards the later stages of last season and in the cup match against Celtic he was a real handful. He needs a goal and lets hope he gets it tomorrow when he comes on.

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Start!?? Come On!! That’s the bloody mistake Callum made last time, straight out of his hotel room and chucked in at Easter Road against Hibs from the start.

Bring him on at 65 mins and let him have a chance.

1 minute ago, SaintJet said:

That's exactly how I read that comment. If he's not going to force himself in to team now I can't see it happening. Maybe depending if we got a lower league team in the cup.

I still think we're going to see Hendry come back on song soon. He was oustanding towards the later stages of last season and in the cup match against Celtic he was a real handful. He needs a goal and lets hope he gets it tomorrow when he comes on.

I really don’t trust Callum Hendry. I’m sorry, it’s based on nothing other than my opinion and what I have seen of the lad.

Makes too many poor decisions, bit of a shitebag and just doesn’t do it for me.

That said, I really hope I’m wrong because I liked the sound of him when he first started to bag a couple of goals for us but I’ve really gone off him - don’t trust him one bit in a relegation scrap!

2 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Start!?? Come On!! That’s the bloody mistake Callum made last time, straight out of his hotel room and chucked in at Easter Road against Hibs from the start.

Bring him on at 65 mins and let him have a chance.

Well it's not really the same mistake at all though. Like you say, back then he was a brand new player chucked in straight out of his hotel room. He's now a player who's been with the club and part of the squad for several months. Why can't he start games? If he can't, then why is he here?

Im not saying I'd have him in my team, incidentally. I'm saying that if the manager thinks he's been "brilliant", then surely he should pick him?

35 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Well it's not really the same mistake at all though. Like you say, back then he was a brand new player chucked in straight out of his hotel room. He's now a player who's been with the club and part of the squad for several months. Why can't he start games? If he can't, then why is he here?

Im not saying I'd have him in my team, incidentally. I'm saying that if the manager thinks he's been "brilliant", then surely he should pick him?

Agreed!

I don’t think/want him to start for a plethora of reasons but if he has been BRILLIANT in training, he deserves 30 mins.

Stevie May is our primary striker and should be played as such. Number 9, in the box, getting goals. Melamed should come on to do the same job when Stevie is tiring. If he’s a complete horse, it’s up to Callum Hendry or Chris Kane to come on the following week and prove that they deserve the role of back up striker/first sub. We need consistency. Chopping and changing between May, Hendry and Kane isn’t working and playing May wide to accommodate Kane certainly isn’t the answer.

Here, by the way, I can see the Sunday paper headlines now:

Guy Provides The Perfect Med-icine for Stuttering Saints!!

F*** it, 0-3!!

COYS!!!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Not sure if Kerr will be back or not.

I think may may be available but depends how bad the virus affected him & how much he was able to keep himself fit.

That is if he had the virus & not just isolating.

He tested positive so must have had it. Take it his 14 days will be up as was just after the Aberdeen game 

3 hours ago, south inch said:

Hope we get a result tomorrow, all the signs are that Nicola is making the final adjustments to her sights.  Unless the Covid figures take a downward turn by the middle of next week I fear we will not see any more football for a wee while.

Have to say looking grim. Not up to date on UK Covid policy (clearly Boris has f&cked that up), and if things worsen, they have to end the league. In Australia, anyone tested positive means that through contact tracing, others are required to isolate if in contact within 48 hours (or something). If That was applied to football, whole squads could conceivably be quarantined and the season botched. In sports, Australia is lucky- the 2 major codes (AFL & Rugby League) are domestic competitions, so they just chucked clubs into isolation bubbles - 2,000 Kms away from clusters. It worked. Won't work in football because of UEFA & FIFA. Bit of a mess.

Saint Nicola has explicitly said several times over the last couple of days that football is being seen as an exception, giving folk something to look forward to, a distraction from the gloom, etc. She doesn’t have football in her sights - it’s clearly and explicitly quite the opposite.

i think there are three scenarios under which elite football would be halted in the next few weeks.

1/ Footballers being stupid. A series of minor breaches, or one huge breach, especially where “innocent people” could have been infected. Public outrage would force the government’s hands.

2/ Things generally becoming so bad that we move as a society from the current pretendy lockdown to a full lockdown, with almost no exceptions. Absolutely no one would give a shite about football in that scenario.

3/ The football authorities themselves deciding that the season could not be completed as planned and competitions should halt for purely practical reasons, eg because of the sheer number of players isolating, leading to unmanageable fixture backlogs or too many men-against-boys games - see post above. (There would be the option of a shortened competition, to be completed later in the year). 

What are the chances, then, of football being halted?

My guess would be quite low - 20%? But, who knows?

Edited by Abernethy Saint