Dundee United v Saints Saturday 9th January - Tayside Derby

R.B.B:- Adz

27 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Ok if the back 3 is working, it must be is our defensive midfield players and wingbacks that are letting us down defensively. So is it the case they are then the cause for us not being able to keep a clean sheet. Or is it the whole team or are some of it the players not good enough or is it the system.

What I am asking what do you put our inability to keep a clean sheet down to? Because if we are going to stay out of the bottom 2 we need to start having them very quickly.

I'm not saying the back 3 is working all the time, it won't we're at a level where players will make mistakes; however they didn't make any last night and pretty much played the perfect game, United once again had little to no attacking threat as a result.

The first goal is all down the the midfield absolutely, but it's once again an individual error, Craig doesn't track the runner. Changing the formation or having an extra midfielder doesn't help matters there, cause he's always Craig's man and the moment he chooses not to go with him a goal is inevitable. The goals we concede on a regular basis are individual errors for me rather than as a result of the system. Yes there are times where if we're better set up and communicate better we don't concede goals, but these have little to do with the shape we play. I can guarantee playing with a back 4 would have the same errors and goals conceded. The likes of Clark, McCart, Rooney, Booth, Craig, etc. have all made individual mistakes leading to goals conceded, these mistakes though have been made at a human/ability level not at a tactical level. 

If we cut out the individual errors, we keep a lot more clean sheets that's for sure. 

50 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Our inability to score has put the defence under pressure and lead to us taking nothing from quite a few games where we should have had a draw or win

You could argue the reverse it is out inability to defend

Our last 8 games
Dundee Utd 2v2 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
Ross County 1v1 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
St Johnstone 0v0 Hamilton
Aberdeen 2v1 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
St Johnstone 0v3 Rangers 
St Mirren 3v2 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
Dunfermline 1v1 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
St Johnstone 1v2 Livingston (not an inability to score)
Scoring 8 and Conceding 14

26 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

You could argue the reverse it is out inability to defend

Our last 8 games
Dundee Utd 2v2 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
Ross County 1v1 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
St Johnstone 0v0 Hamilton
Aberdeen 2v1 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
St Johnstone 0v3 Rangers 
St Mirren 3v2 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
Dunfermline 1v1 St Johnstone (not an inability to score)
St Johnstone 1v2 Livingston (not an inability to score)
Scoring 8 and Conceding 14

Absolutely. Livingston are the example. They win matches because they don’t concede goals. The last time they conceded more than 1 goal in a match was October last year. That’s how you win matches in this league. Simple formula of solid back line and goalkeeper than don’t defend, well drilled for set pieces and players from all over the park chip in with goals. Remind you of anyone?? T_ _ _ _  W_ _ _ _ _?

They(Livi) have conceded SIX goals in their last 12 matches. Unbelievable really!!

Saints??

TWENTY(20)... we have conceded 20 goals in our last 12 games.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

David Beckham, Paul Robinson, *** Howard, Charlie Adam, Maynor Figueroa and Wayne Rooney, twice, have all scored from further away than Shankland did, so he will have to take his place in history. Not a bad effort though, admittedly, and he is in good company. No one said grudgingly!

Better than Pele!

3 hours ago, cristo said:

It was a fine goal but nothing new for Saints to be involved in. George O'Boyle scored  very similar goal v Motherwell at Perth a while ago. It's still on you tube, if I knew how to link it I would but I don't so you'll have to manage without me.

Did Tommy Turner not score a beauty back in the day too?

Or did I dream that?

In our position we need results. if we dont get results we will go down, it will be little comfort that we were nice to watch. For weeks now we have been hearing that Saints have been doing the right things but its still not paying off. If I hear from pundits one more time that we are well organised and have enough about us and that we will be okay.

9 hours ago, chips said:

Zander wasn't "out of position" as some are stating, he was in the area where you'd expect most keepers in contrast to where the ball was in play.

11 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Anyone blaming Clark for that goal is being ridiculous.

Have a listen to Shankland’s interview. He states that he had noticed that Zander stands too far off his line so knew in advance that if he got the chance, he would exploit it...

Maybe “out of position” and maybe not that “ridiculous”

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Bit of praise for Spoony is due I reckon.

That cross for the second.............:wub:

I thought spoony had another game, also his cross you mention was a cracker. Even thought his freekick from just outside the box was curling in. Think he's more confident just now (no crowd pressure as I think has been said).The guy certainly tries.

32 minutes ago, Salguodinmethven. said:

I thought spoony had another game, also his cross you mention was a cracker. Even thought his freekick from just outside the box was curling in. Think he's more confident just now (no crowd pressure as I think has been said).The guy certainly tries.

Became one of my favourite all time Saints after the cup final. Every time I watch the final back I pray that he finishes that mazy run with a goal.

9 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

David Beckham, Paul Robinson, *** Howard, Charlie Adam, Maynor Figueroa and Wayne Rooney, twice, have all scored from further away than Shankland did, so he will have to take his place in history. Not a bad effort though, admittedly, and he is in good company. No one said grudgingly!

Nayim from the half way line, Nayim from the half way line 

16 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

Did Tommy Turner not score a beauty back in the day too?

Or did I dream that?

Can't remember a Tommy Turner one but the O'Boyle one is below. Watching that O'Boyle goal again, the keeper wasn't actually all that far off his line. I reckon Simon Stainrod (scoring from kick-off for Falkirk) probably still holds the record for longest-distance goal at McDiarmid - unless anyone has scored from inside their own half?

On 1/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, Smarmy Arab said:
56 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Can't remember a Tommy Turner one but the O'Boyle one is below. Watching that O'Boyle goal again, the keeper wasn't actually all that far off his line. I reckon Simon Stainrod (scoring from kick-off for Falkirk) probably still holds the record for longest-distance goal at McDiarmid - unless anyone has scored from inside their own half?

Did Stainrod score from the kick off at Mc D?  He tried it many times, for Falkirk and Dundee but can never remember him actually scoring.

14 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Have a listen to Shankland’s interview. He states that he had noticed that Zander stands too far off his line so knew in advance that if he got the chance, he would exploit it...

Maybe “out of position” and maybe not that “ridiculous”

Thone thing I did wonder was that zander ended up running towards his goal which gave him virtually zero chance of touching it over, had he been going backwards would he have had any chance of getting a hand to it?

1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Did Stainrod score from the kick off at Mc D?  He tried it many times, for Falkirk and Dundee but can never remember him actually scoring.

Yeah, my memory of it was that Saints had just scored and Falkirk re-started from centre and scored immediately. I was just a kid at the time but I remember not seeing him actually hit the ball but just looking up as it dropped into the net. Don't think I understood what had happened!

I guess no footage of it exists, otherwise it would have been shown in that video you posted. Is that Friday Sportscene? I used to love that programme. :laugh:

1 hour ago, McCarry One Nil said:

Canny believe no-ones mentioned Gerry McMahon's goal v Aberdeen early 90's. Must be on You Tube?

Can't find it on YouTube unfortunately but that was a great goal. Think it was from way out on the wing rather than back near the halfway line though? That was scored during that fantastic period just after Sandy Clark arrived (season 1998/99, I think) when it felt like we couldn't stop scoring.