Scottish Cup

cristo

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

Surely we are due to draw Hibs? At this stage we always draw the 'highest seed', we always have to play the same opponent twice in quick succession, etc.

In terms of getting into Europe, I guess the ideal would be to play Hibs in the final. That way if we finish 5th in the league we'll definitely qualify for Europe even if we don't win the final. At least, I think that's right?

Am I also right in thinking if we (hypothetically, of course) qualify for Europe through the Cup we go into the Europa League, but if we qualify through the league we go into the new Europa Conference League?

Been looking at the European dates for next season and according to Wikipedia, if we go into the Conference League we'll enter in the second qualifying round which starts on 22nd July. 

The Europa League is a bit different next season and has only one Qualifying Round (starting 5th August) before the Play-Off round.

46 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

In terms of getting into Europe, I guess the ideal would be to play Hibs in the final. That way if we finish 5th in the league we'll definitely qualify for Europe even if we don't win the final. At least, I think that's right?

Am I also right in thinking if we (hypothetically, of course) qualify for Europe through the Cup we go into the Europa League, but if we qualify through the league we go into the new Europa Conference League?

Been looking at the European dates for next season and according to Wikipedia, if we go into the Conference League we'll enter in the second qualifying round which starts on 22nd July. 

The Europa League is a bit different next season and has only one Qualifying Round (starting 5th August) before the Play-Off round.

That is my understanding of the qualification, if Hibs win the cup fifth place will get into the Europa Conference League.

There is another scenario with the doubt of Livingstone's fitness to be in European competition but the SFA has turned a blind eye to such licensing issues before. So if the law were followed and Hibs win the cup and we finish sixth we should get the European place. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56688895

37 minutes ago, chips said:

I admit that when Rangers scored I switched the game off thinking that was it over for us. Pottered about the house and returned to my phone around 20mins or so later and couldn't believe what I missed... idiot, I should know better !! 

Thank feck you weren't playing last night :laugh:.

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

If we win the Cup, we have European football until Christmas. Cup puts you in the Europa League Play Off, win that you're in the EL Group Stage, lose it and you drop into the Conference League Group stage.

If Hibs win the cup they get that, and 5th goes into the Conference League qualifers. As was said by @Johnny B, there's only 5 places so any club below us winning the Cup means only 1st-4th gets Europe.

That's my understanding, I think.

Edited by RandomGuy

Think that’s right. Also bear in mind cup runners-up don’t get Euro anymore. So it’s either win the cup, or finish 5th if a top 4 side wins cup, or finish 6th if Livingstone get refused a licence and a top 4 side win the cup..

For the avoidance of doubt, we don’t get in Europe twice if we finish 5th and win the cup.

If we win the cup and go straight into the EL play-off, you are likely talking about a very serious team indeed coming to Perth. As well as an extremely large cheque.

31 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Think that’s right. Also bear in mind cup runners-up don’t get Euro anymore. So it’s either win the cup, or finish 5th if a top 4 side wins cup, or finish 6th if Livingstone get refused a licence and a top 4 side win the cup..

For the avoidance of doubt, we don’t get in Europe twice if we finish 5th and win the cup.

If we win the cup and go straight into the EL play-off, you are likely talking about a very serious team indeed coming to Perth. As well as an extremely large cheque.

Whoever wins the cup will have a good financial advantage next season. Make the Europa League by winning through the playoff and make some really serious money. Fail in the playoff, will still make good money. Participation money will obviously be much lower than EL, but 3 guaranteed home games and potential tv money will all add up.

Obviously, would all want that to be saints. Of the teams in the semi, I'd fear none if them, but at the same time want none of them... St Mirren gave had a good season and would be well up for it. Killie are in form. Utd have nothing else to play for, so could focus solely on it and Hibs have done well this season too. Equally, I doubt any if them fancy playing saints.

What was the last time anyone beat one of the big 2 Glasgow teams pre semis and went in to win the cup? 

Nothing to fear, we're playing well and have a team spirit that's second to none. As for Hibs magnificent strike force, they didn't do much at Hampden the last time they played there! Also think that our achievement last night hasn't had the full respect it deserves from certain areas of the media. 

The sheer cohones of our team to force the game into ET and then penalties can't be understated.

Love the journey we're on just now.

31 minutes ago, cristo said:

Last night Premier advertised that they are showing both.

"One semi-final will be exclusively shown by Premier Sports while the other semi and the cup final will be shown across both channels."

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scottish-fa-strikes-new-global-broadcast-deal-scottish-cup-219892?amp