St.Johnstone V St.Mirren - Saturday 16th January

SaintJet

2 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Let's enjoy the win and not get carried away 5 points off 6th and 5 points off bottom a lot of work yet to be done, Celebrate a good win but especially celebrate a clean sheet

Just imagine how we would have been feeling tonight after draw or defeat.

I was worried when we kept giving free kicks near our penalty area after the 2 late goals they best us with at Midden.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Just imagine how we would have been feeling tonight after draw or defeat.

I was worried when we kept giving free kicks near our penalty area after the 2 late goals they best us with at Midden.

Yes, good two days for us - 3 points and Motherwell and Hamilton denied their freebies.

We've played better this season and lost, but at least we got the 3 points. All the players that I've been complaining about all season actually did well: Kane, Bryson and Clark. We looked more assured with Kerr back. Melamed had an ok game again. St. Mirren didn't offer much.

I think today sums up what I find most frustrating about Kane. Not faulting his work rate, nor am I complaining that his goal has secured three points. However, I know this may be petty, seeing as he’s scored two in two, but his lack of composure in front of goal is hugely frustrating. Good run & positioning for his shot which led to the goal but looking at it again he’s bloody lucky with the rebound which he almost hits back into the path of the keeper. Shoe on the other foot Zander would have been slated for doing the same. As for the shot at the end, again lack of composure, plenty of time but he’s leaning back and the shot is always rising. I’m sure plenty will say but he’s scored, we’ve won, but for a great save he’d have scored two, give him a break. I just think he doesn’t have the composure and over a season he’ll miss far more than he’ll score. 

23 minutes ago, Saints11 said:

I think today sums up what I find most frustrating about Kane. Not faulting his work rate, nor am I complaining that his goal has secured three points. However, I know this may be petty, seeing as he’s scored two in two, but his lack of composure in front of goal is hugely frustrating. Good run & positioning for his shot which led to the goal but looking at it again he’s bloody lucky with the rebound which he almost hits back into the path of the keeper. Shoe on the other foot Zander would have been slated for doing the same. As for the shot at the end, again lack of composure, plenty of time but he’s leaning back and the shot is always rising. I’m sure plenty will say but he’s scored, we’ve won, but for a great save he’d have scored two, give him a break. I just think he doesn’t have the composure and over a season he’ll miss far more than he’ll score. 

But at least he was getting into positions to get attempts on goal and trying to work the keeper.

56 minutes ago, Saints11 said:

Ffs 

1 hour ago, Saints11 said:

I think the composure will come with the confidence he will get from scoring. I think Melamed will help him & partnership can only get better.

By the way even if he isn't scoring I would have him in the team as he contributed in other ways.

4 hours ago, Saints11 said:

100% correct,he almost missed that today, and the second chance he could’ve taken a touch,and then scored,game awareness is not his forte,but his work rate is good. Stevie looked a shadow of himself today,slow,lethargic and not working hard enough imo 

Yesterdays performance was consistent with our performances most of the season. One big difference was we made very few mistakes which gave us a clean sheet. I remember one horrendous one by Rooney with a short pass back but this time it did not result in a goal. Keep scoring and cut out the silly mistakes and we are good for the points. 

I also think this is the best formation 3.4.1.2 and we should persevere with it. We got a draw against Hibs at Easter Rd so no reason to change for our next game.

2 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Think the Kane Melamed pairing look more threatening than we have had all season, at least getting in positions and yeah Kano will miss a few, but just watching May yesterday just looked a yard short. At the moment Kano and Guy offering far more than the other two.

Yeah, May had a few good games a month or so ago after a slow start but he looks to be back where he was at the start of the season.

Now he looks like he is running in sand & because he hasn't got pace is getting caught offside by trying to get behind the defence.

22 hours ago, Cagey said:

Yeah, May had a few good games a month or so ago after a slow start but he looks to be back where he was at the start of the season.

Now he looks like he is running in sand & because he hasn't got pace is getting caught offside by trying to get behind the defence.

I thought May played pretty well when he came on. Very clever little back-heel to Bryson (who should have done better) at one point.

We have brilliant competition for places up front at the moment, and look so much more dangerous now that we're playing two strikers and occasionally attacking through the middle.

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I thought May played pretty well when he came on. Very clever little back-heel to Bryson (who should have done better) at one point.

We have brilliant competition for places up front at the moment, and look so much more dangerous now that we're playing two strikers and occasionally attacking through the middle.

The last sentence hits the nail on the head.

I never feel threatened by a team playing one up front.

There are exemptions of course but mainly because they have a team of exceptional players such as  Man City .