LEAGUE CUP FINAL: St Johnstone v Livingston, Hampden Park, 28 Feb 2021

Melbourne Saint

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

(Cleveland Browns - great fans! They have to be - like us Jets.)

NO way would tailgate be allowed. I don't think you realise how restrictions are being enforced back here.

I doubt we would be allowed to have fans congrugate anywhere near the stadium or even at McD but I guess ther will still be some presence locally in Perth.

Jets are the new Browns :lol:

Might not get gatherings as such, but there must be ways fans could socially distance but still show support before game - banners on bridges etc and fingers crossed celebrations afterwards.

Beit Saints or Livi, would gatherings on parks the size of the inches be permitted by the govt if it could be guaranteed social distancing was in place.

For example, could mark out 2m2 boxes on south in for households of fans should a celebration be needed? 

On the game itself, I'd have preferred St Mirren, but if you had offered every saints fan a final v Livi at the start of the season, them we would have bit your hand off.

A great 'Initiative' saints could do is a chance for a fan to win a playing contract as a 12th man and be part of the clubs squad at the game (following all testing and isolation protocols obviously). 

I know this is way earlier than some games but I feel as its such q massive game its worth the chat starting now.Lets have your experiences and thoughts 

On the squad we really need Muzz fit and ready to go to match up to Ambrose

I think the team almost picks its self if we don't have injuries 

My personal experiences of Finals are only 2 as I was not allowed to the Celtic game in 69 as I was only 10

The other Final in 1998 was a great day out  and the team were unlucky on the day

We all know about 2014

So it's 3rd time lucky if you believe in that stuff

I had a theory that we would win this cup as I did in 2014 (May 17)

This time I said to a pal before Semi-Final that it would be so St.johnstone esk to win it with no fans.

Believe!We can do this!!!

3 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Like we have here with Cleveland Browns, maybe have a tailgate with TV's or a big screen outside Hampden? Be just small 'family' groups, no mingling, just drive up with car, bevvy it up, bit of fun and then when we win, players can do a wee drive around the tailgate parking lot with the cup and you can throw bottles at the bus, shoot off fireworks and jump onto tables....https://youtu.be/tJ4sRXVkEhU , ok, maybe a stretch.... :) 

How about a car convoy to the stadium of saints fans with flags and sh*t hanging off cars.... driving with the team bus? 

Will they allow our flags (and expat flag!) to be draped across seats in the fan sections?

Only problem with that idea is parking is rubbish at Hampden

14 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Assume game is on free to air? At least, for once, Saints should get more focus than Ferranti Thistle. No doubt a decent team, well coached, but there's not much to say about them. They're just "beige". Highlight may be the insane Italian owner that sent them bust.

Afraid not it’s on premier sports again.

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Assume game is on free to air? At least, for once, Saints should get more focus than Ferranti Thistle. No doubt a decent team, well coached, but there's not much to say about them. They're just "beige". Highlight may be the insane Italian owner that sent them bust.

• And gave us cuptie and muzz:D:D

6 hours ago, MySpazz said:

To everyone asking to be at the final in some way.............................stay in your house, and let them bring the cup back ... a parade on the first day of next season, full house at mcd.

Much as I would love to be there and with probably less than 5000 ST holders between them they could fit into Hampden comfortably socially distanced I must reluctantly agree. Watch it in the hoose and celebrate with those close to you.

Was just thinking last night about the 2014 Cup Final and all the stuff that went on in Perth before and after that helped to make it so special. All the shop windows with Saints stuff on display, the huge hat and scarf on the grouse sculpture, the scarves and messages on the roundabout heading out to Glasgow, and of course the partying afterwards and street parade the next day. Such a shame that none of that can happen this time. I wonder how many fans we'd be taking to this one, under normal circumstances.

If we do win, there should definitely be something to commemorate it once normality returns. Then again, I think we're still waiting for something to happen that permanently commemorates the 2014 win. All the talk of re-naming roundabouts, statues, stands etc came to nothing. I still say 17th May should be an annual local holiday.

£300,000 minus costs. I’d imagine the bonus bill would be pretty steep, and there’s other costs. The Broons reckon they made pennies at the end of the day from 2014. But of course it all helps. And if, say, McCann scores a worldly hat trick and goes for a couple of million as a result of the exposure to somebody’s reserves, well...

Not so long ago a League Cup win got you into Europe. Not now, sadly.

While I am sure that the players will be perfectly aware of how important the final is to fans, it's not going to be the same playing in front of an empty stadium, with fake crowd noise. It would be great if there was a mechanism for us to upload good luck messages (either written or preferably short videos) for the team, particularly so that they can see the faces of fans, and appreciate how many supporters there are around the world willing them on.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

£300,000 minus costs. I’d imagine the bonus bill would be pretty steep, and there’s other costs. The Broons reckon they made pennies at the end of the day from 2014. But of course it all helps. And if, say, McCann scores a worldly hat trick and goes for a couple of million as a result of the exposure to somebody’s reserves, well...

Also £120k if we lose but we probably would have got at least £50 k if knocked out in quarters minus win bonuses so not a huge windfall at the end of the day but every little helps.

Not sure if we get extra for being telly games in semi & final or is it all in the overall package.

Anyway we are in the final & hopefully have a trophy so show for it which will mean more to us than a few grand.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Think Raith Rovers were the last team to benefit from this.

1 hour ago, Dooj said:

While I am sure that the players will be perfectly aware of how important the final is to fans, it's not going to be the same playing in front of an empty stadium, with fake crowd noise. It would be great if there was a mechanism for us to upload good luck messages (either written or preferably short videos) for the team, particularly so that they can see the faces of fans, and appreciate how many supporters there are around the world willing them on.

I'm almost certain this is something the media team at the club will be looking into, they've been excellent the last few months.

55 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Also £120k if we lose but we probably would have got at least £50 k if knocked out in quarters minus win bonuses so not a huge windfall at the end of the day but every little helps.

Not sure if we get extra for being telly games in semi & final or is it all in the overall package.

Anyway we are in the final & hopefully have a trophy so show for it which will mean more to us than a few grand.

Saints on TV in 3 Cup games including the final , pays saints around £70,000 ish which will be in addition to the prize money.

5 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Think Raith Rovers were the last team to benefit from this.

Did well, too. 

They also ended the business of Scottish Cup runners-up getting in if the winners were already qualified. That was due to a string of diddy teams qualifying and doing rather less well. Helped the coefficient a lot.