LEAGUE CUP FINAL: St Johnstone v Livingston, Hampden Park, 28 Feb 2021

Melbourne Saint

21 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I actually watch the J League on their Freesport Channel early doors on a Saturday morning. 

looking forward to the new season starting at the end of the month. Don’t follow a team but there’s a ton of really watchable, free flowing, technical attacking football. 

That's because their ad breaks feature schoolgirls sucking lollipops....

On 2/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, Johnny B said:

Livingston manager David Martindale is pleading with the SPFL not to rearrange the postponed match with Hamilton on the Wednesday prior to their Betfred Cup final against St Johnstone two weeks tomorrow. (Daily Express)

I presume he has won the argument.  Can't blame him, who would want to play that bunch of hammer throwers 4 days before a final!

So... A long week ahead... Spoony (???)& Davidson hopefully will make it, don't see much in Davidson not on bench. If he's 90%, no point. Another week & he's right. Christ only knows how CD will line up. Looks like MOH & May on bench (not bad subs), god knows about the formation from 3-4-2-1, 3-4-1-2, 4-4-2. Midfield & upfront could have any shape. Not only CD's problem, but Livi's too. Be interesting what injuries both sides have by Sunday...

Edited by Melbourne Saint

16 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

So... A long week ahead... Spoony (???)& Davidson hopefully will make it, don't see much in Davidson not on bench. If he's 90%, no point. Another week & he's right. Christ only knows how CD will line up. Looks like MOH & May on bench (not bad subs), god knows about the formation from 3-4-2-1, 3-4-1-2, 4-4-2. Midfield & upfront could have any shape. Not only CD's problem, but Livi's too. Be interesting what injuries both sides have by Sunday...

What a dilemma for Calumn to be in

5 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

What a dilemma for Calumn to be in

I wouldn’t fancy Callum’s job picking this 11 for Sunday.

Melamed was unplayable at times today. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a player in a Saints shirt take on that shot like he did today. Stevie May circa 2013, Liam Craig circa 2003 maybe.

Liam Craig was unbelievable. So assured.

Ali McCann covered every single blade of grass and fought for every ball.

Booth and Wotherspoon have built up a very good understanding down the left hand side.

Chris Kane and Melamed looked great together. Played close together at times and found each other with ease.

Clark, Rooney, Gordon, McCart and Kerr are undroppable in Callum Davidson’s eyes.

11 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I wouldn’t fancy Callum’s job picking this 11 for Sunday.

Melamed was unplayable at times today. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a player in a Saints shirt take on that shot like he did today. Stevie May circa 2013, Liam Craig circa 2003 maybe.

Liam Craig was unbelievable. So assured.

Ali McCann covered every single blade of grass and fought for every ball.

Booth and Wotherspoon have built up a very good understanding down the left hand side.

Chris Kane and Melamed looked great together. Played close together at times and found each other with ease.

Clark, Rooney, Gordon, McCart and Kerr are undroppable in Callum Davidson’s eyes.

Need to try and get this squad tied down.

I can't shake the feeling that Callum will revert to his preferred 3-4-3 for the final, which would sadly mean Melamed going back onto the bench. Personally though I'd play exactly the same starting line-up from yesterday - I just don't see how any of them can be dropped.

It was interesting to hear Callum on the radio before yesterday's game, mentioning that he tends to go for two up front when he thinks it's a bad pitch - which would also point towards one up front at Hampden.

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Need to try and get this squad tied down.

The four defenders particularly. Our form has improved rapidly as we have seen a settled back 5. McCart, Kerr, Gordon and Rooney need to be tied down quickly on long term contracts(2 year extensions constitutes long term in Saints terms).

Melamed and McCann are the only two that I can viably see us losing at the end of the season.