Motherwell V St.Johnstone - Saturday 20th Feb

SaintJet

After a decent performance against Celtic we travel to Fir Park on Saturday for a really crucial game. Motherwell are starting to show some form in spite of their doing at Hamilton and this will be a tight match. Eyes will be cast to the following week's cup final but a result here will set us up nicely. Lots of permutations available for team personnel. 

Will we be tempted to rest players?

Will Guy get a start? I have to think there maybe some changes and if Muzz is remotely fit I suspect he'll get some game time.

3 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

If it was me I would play my cup final team 3.4.1.2  We are not clear of safety yet and we cannot wrap them in cotton wool also no mid week games. 

I agree Johnny B - I'd start with a strong line up with the hope of getting Melamed and MOH some time also.

6 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

I think we missed a trick not playing our cup final team against Celtic so hopefully CD will play a strong team against Motherwell. I don’t like this chopping about pick your best team and just play it... Melamed must be wondering what he needs to do to get a start.

How do you know that was not his intended cup final team :wacko:

We have had the same comments with Callum as we did with Tommy. You cant play the same team week in week out, he is using his squad and benefiting from it aswell with some good performances form players coming in.  I suspect Kane and melamed will be in the final team, but I really dont think anyone's place is secured.  

Edited by mainstand

7 hours ago, Wendy Saints said:

I think we missed a trick not playing our cup final team against Celtic so hopefully CD will play a strong team against Motherwell. I don’t like this chopping about pick your best team and just play it... Melamed must be wondering what he needs to do to get a start.

I think Callum once said he couldn't Trust Guy. Strange comment but it looks like it is still the case.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

How do you know that was not his intended cup final team :wacko:

We have had the same comments with Callum as we did with Tommy. You cant play the same team week in week out, he is using his squad and benefiting from it aswell with some good performances form players coming in.  I suspect Kane and melamed will be in the final team, but I really dont think anyone's place is secured.  

My feeling is Melamed won't start in the final. CD's preference is 3-4-3 so I think he'll play that in the final, which means Melamed on the bench and either Kane or May as the lone striker. I think for the Motherwell game we might see a return to 3-5-2 with Kane and Melamed up front, though.

3 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

My feeling is Melamed won't start in the final. CD's preference is 3-4-3 so I think he'll play that in the final, which means Melamed on the bench and either Kane or May as the lone striker. I think for the Motherwell game we might see a return to 3-5-2 with Kane and Melamed up front, though.

Motherwell game is huge. Win this & we can breath a bit easier.

Cup final will take care of its self.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I suspect Kane and melamed will be in the final team, but I really dont think anyone's place is secured.  

I beg to differ, Clark Kerr Gordon McCart Rooney Tanser McCann Wotherspoon and Kane places are secure (barring injury.) The other 2 are up for grabs: 2 strikers Melamed could get the nod 1 striker and Conway will get the place alongside Wotherspoon. That leaves the central midfield next to McCann take your pick from Davidson, Craig or Bryson

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

I beg to differ, Clark Kerr Gordon McCart Rooney Tanser McCann Wotherspoon and Kane places are secure (barring injury.) The other 2 are up for grabs: 2 strikers Melamed could get the nod 1 striker and Conway will get the place alongside Wotherspoon. That leaves the central midfield next to McCann take your pick from Davidson, Craig or Bryson

Pretty much agree with you but I'm not sure Kane's place is 100% nailed down. If May does well against Motherwell he could probably win his way into the team. On the other hand, Melamed could score a hat-trick against Motherwell and he probably still wouldn't play in the final.

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Pretty much agree with you but I'm not sure Kane's place is 100% nailed down. If May does well against Motherwell he could probably win his way into the team. On the other hand, Melamed could score a hat-trick against Motherwell and he probably still wouldn't play in the final.

On his showing this season he will not do well against Well. I will be disappointed if he is even in the team.

19 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Pretty much agree with you but I'm not sure Kane's place is 100% nailed down.

Kane has been his main striker this year. His only non start this year was against Rangers and that was because he needed a rest. That's why he is a sure starter in the final

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

On his showing this season he will not do well against Well. I will be disappointed if he is even in the team.

Would you give yourself a telling!

Kane is nailed on to start in the final and he has been superb all season.

After Guy's showing at Tannadice I expected him to move up a gear but he has been patchy. I suspect he'll start against Motherwell with Kane and May coming on in his usual role off the bench.

58 minutes ago, dave mc said:

Hope Middleton gets a start, he looks very positive when on the ball,

Do you honestly think Middleton deserves to start when he has only played 20 mins. He looked average at most. He was not outstanding. There are others who got us this far and Middleton is no better than them. CD will show his loyalty to the players who got us to the final. Also Middleton is using us as a stepping stone, he will show us no loyalty.

37 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Do you honestly think Middleton deserves to start when he has only played 20 mins. He looked average at most. He was not outstanding. There are others who got us this far and Middleton is no better than them. CD will show his loyalty to the players who got us to the final. Also Middleton is using us as a stepping stone, he will show us no loyalty.

On the flip side. How do you know he’s no better than them? 

For me, he’s had 3 shots at goal over the time on the park. Reminds me a bit of Matty Kennedy. Think he can have a similar input. 

There is not a player in Perth that would be loyal to St Johnstone if another club came in offering to double their salary. 

12 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

On the flip side. How do you know he’s no better than them? 

For me, he’s had 3 shots at goal over the time on the park. Reminds me a bit of Matty Kennedy. Think he can have a similar input. 

There is not a player in Perth that would be loyal to St Johnstone if another club came in offering to double their salary. 

"On the flip side" from what i have seen

"Reminds me of Matty Kennedy he can have same input." I disagree

Middleton will go back to Rangers as we cannot afford his wages. He will sign for us for less I do not blame him. I still believe he should not start my opinion,

17 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

"On the flip side" from what i have seen

"Reminds me of Matty Kennedy he can have same input." I disagree

Middleton will go back to Rangers as we cannot afford his wages. He will sign for us for less I do not blame him. I still believe he should not start my opinion,

What has loyalty got to do with it though?

There is no loyalty at any level in the game and nor should there be. It’s a career that has a 15-20 year lifespan. 

all I ask of a player is that they come in and graft to the best of their ability. 

if he does that, where’s the negative. I’d have him in the team ahead of Mikey right now, for sure. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

He deserves to start if Callum picks him,and it gives either Spoony or Conway a rest for the final.I didn’t say he was outstanding but POSITIVE,which is something we lack,looks like you can’t read properly,never mind watch a game properly :shock:

9 minutes ago, dave mc said:

He deserves to start if Callum picks him,and it gives either Spoony or Conway a rest for the final.I didn’t say he was outstanding but POSITIVE,which is something we lack,looks like you can’t read properly,never mind watch a game properly :shock:

I'd be happy to see Middleton get a start against Motherwell, I think he's looked really promising.

8 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'd be happy to see Middleton get a start against Motherwell, I think he's looked really promising.

I agree. He did look to have a good bit of juice about him when he came on and was runnning at defenders. 

It's a good place to be with so  many options but we need to take something home from Fir Park on Saturday.

Middleton should start because we need pace in attack and the only other option, MOH, has had plenty of chances this season and failed.

Refusing to select someone we signed on a 6 month loan because they won't sign for us is mental. Mehdi Abeid signed in January on loan, was never a realistic signings afterwards, yet was brilliant.