The Melamed Conundrum...

Melbourne Saint

Guy is just a 'victim' of the formation. The one up front doesn't suit his style and Kane offers more in holding the ball up etc.

When we go to a two, then Guy's in. I'm pretty sure CD confirmed that in the past few days.

I would like him to stay, but realistically, I'd be very surprised if we got him longer than this season, maybe next, given he hasn't played all that much for another team in the UK to take that chance on him.

Everytime I see May I feel quite sorry for him. The type of player he was the first time he was with us looks like it has been coached out of him. While he was down south, someone thought it was a good idea to make him the link up player and that has taken so much away from what he used to be. Worth having in the team/squad but not where he is the largest wage earner (assuming he is). Going to be interesting when his contract is up for renewal.

Still think there is a player there with Hendry as well. His confidence is shot though, so a change of scenery makes sense. When he comes back (if) he will need to tone down the niggles and petulance though.

I think Davidson started off the season with the plan for Hendry to be his main single striker. Kane as back-up, and May for when 2 strikers were needed. This does make sense considering Hendry's play last season. Conway and McNamara were signed to get up the pitch and cross the ball at every opportunity for Hendry to head it.

That didn't work out (although I think he should've given Hendry more time) and so he looked for another striker. Melamed was available, although perhaps not exactly what he was looking for. I imagine when he got here, he struggled, was off the pace, and just found it difficult to get used to the style of play.

Kane has been playing well, and is now that main striker. Melamed has taken May's place as the one who plays alongside him when needed.

I think Melamed looks quite happy and settled. The players seem to help him with positioning sometimes, and look genuinely pleased when he scores. He's just not a 'run to the corner flag and slide on the turf' sort of player.

In regards to a contract, I'm not sure that other clubs will be picking up on his skills just yet. He hasn't played enough games. If he's happy to sign, we need to get the contract sorted soon. This is the case with others too. I think he'd be aware that he would only play in games where we play with Davidson's attacking shape of 5-2-1-2.

If Hendry comes back, this raises another question. I think it's possible to use May deeper, in the same way that MOH is (who I think is definitely on his way out).

As said before its a squad game now. Players coming in and out of the starting line up based on formation. Kane fits into both our 2 up front and 1 up front formations with May basically the backup if Kane injured. rested or knackered after 60 mins. Melamed just seems to fit into the 2 up front formation. Think May will be with us next season. Melamed I believe has done the job he was brought in for. He's a terrific player but I imagine he will be leaving Scotland at the end of the season. Im sure we would like to keep him but was probably never on the cards.

8 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Every time I see one of these posts from you, I can’t help but wonder... 

Does everyone in Australia smash into stimulants for breakfast? 

24/7 mate... Forget your silly Covid vaccines, we've got the ultimate vaccine. Shit loads of coke. That's why our infection rate is pretty much zero.

4 hours ago, garydavidson said:

aye but he doesn't run around a lot :roll::laugh:

That finish was sublime... Very Bergkamp-esque. We have no-one that has that control & composure up front. I'd suggest not many teams in the Premier do. And he's scored some corkers. @garydavidson agree, he could end up... Anywhere. Forget Kennedy, Melamed is a top, top player. The ball from Kerr(?) Showed the players know his movement, which is good. It's just a bit frustrating when you see a 20+ goal a season player have a minor detour via Saints. Not blaming Saints if/when he leaves, just hope it's not in Scotland. Covid maybe played into our hands in landing him in the first place... Everyone hesitant, he wasn't match fit. Enjoy the show while we can... 

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Anyone know how many starts Melamed has made this season. Its 5 goals in 12 but dont think its 12 starts which makes him our best goal scorer I would have thought.

He's comfortably our best goalscorer this season if you look at "goals per90".

People might not want to look at per90 figures though, as they'd have to admit Craig Conway has created more chances than anyone else in our squad too...

On 3/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, Linky said:

I think Davidson started off the season with the plan for Hendry to be his main single striker. Kane as back-up, and May for when 2 strikers were needed. This does make sense considering Hendry's play last season. Conway and McNamara were signed to get up the pitch and cross the ball at every opportunity for Hendry to head it.

That didn't work out (although I think he should've given Hendry more time) and so he looked for another striker. Melamed was available, although perhaps not exactly what he was looking for. I imagine when he got here, he struggled, was off the pace, and just found it difficult to get used to the style of play.

Kane has been playing well, and is now that main striker. Melamed has taken May's place as the one who plays alongside him when needed.

I think Melamed looks quite happy and settled. The players seem to help him with positioning sometimes, and look genuinely pleased when he scores. He's just not a 'run to the corner flag and slide on the turf' sort of player.

In regards to a contract, I'm not sure that other clubs will be picking up on his skills just yet. He hasn't played enough games. If he's happy to sign, we need to get the contract sorted soon. This is the case with others too. I think he'd be aware that he would only play in games where we play with Davidson's attacking shape of 5-2-1-2.

If Hendry comes back, this raises another question. I think it's possible to use May deeper, in the same way that MOH is (who I think is definitely on his way out).

Callum buries that theory in press today

May and Kane were both injured at start of season so he was left with Hendry and pretty much northing else

Goes on to say that was why Melamed was brought in

Also that he never wants to start a season on the back foot like this season and get all the players up and running early