Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

20 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Seeing rumours online linking Melamed with Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth. 

Tanser had been linked with Sunderland earlier this season too and they share an agent so may just be agent chat. 

If this is the case, I imagine it's very unlikely he'd stay. This is the problem with short-term contracts. I can understand why the club does it, but it means anyone who shows any promise then leaves with no transfer fee. If Hendry is coming back, would we just stick with Kane, Hendry & May? I worry that Kane and Hendry are quite similar in style of play. I like the guy on loan at Hamilton from Aberdeen, but apparently he has attitude problems. I think we have a squad of excellent professionals, and I wouldn't want anyone (like Lafferty, for example) to disturb that, even if they were to bring in a few more goals.

Edited by Linky

1 hour ago, Linky said:

If this is the case, I imagine it's very unlikely he'd stay. This is the problem with short-term contracts. I can understand why the club does it, but it means anyone who shows any promise then leaves with no transfer fee. If Hendry is coming back, would we just stick with Kane, Hendry & May? I worry that Kane and Hendry are quite similar in style of play. I like the guy on loan at Hamilton from Aberdeen, but apparently he has attitude problems. I think we have a squad of excellent professionals, and I wouldn't want anyone (like Lafferty, for example) to disturb that, even if they were to bring in a few more goals.

We might be in need of some new attacking options for next season when you consider Melamed seems likely to go, Middleton will probably be off back to Sevco, MOH might not hang around and May, Kane and Conway are all yet to sign up. And who knows what will happen with Hendry.

I've been really impressed with the forward options we've had at our disposal of late, so would really hope we manage to keep the majority of them here.

13 hours ago, dave mc said:

Rumours that Kane is asking silly money now he’s changed agent,wouldn’t be getting held to ransom by his likes, a work horse no doubt,but no finisher 

Big difference with Kane now is that he's coming to the table as arguably our first choice striker. That gives him a negotiating position he's never had with any of his previous contracts. Not sure what "silly money" means or if there's any truth in it, but it's only to be expected that his agent will be looking to get him a bump up in pay.

Another thing to bear in mind with Kane is that if he signs a two-year deal he'll be due a testimonial.

14 hours ago, dave mc said:

Rumours that Kane is asking silly money now he’s changed agent,wouldn’t be getting held to ransom by his likes, a work horse no doubt,but no finisher 

Don't agree with this at all. Kane has bided his time and has naturally developed in to a fine centre for us. His work rate is not in question but he has added guile to his game and we miss him when he's not in the line up. Who's to say that under the coaching of Steve McClean and CD he wont develop further? A number of teams would snap him up in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

Don't agree with this at all. Kane has bided his time and has naturally developed in to a fine centre for us. His work rate is not in question but he has added guile to his game and we miss him when he's not in the line up. Who's to say that under the coaching of Steve McClean and CD he wont develop further? A number of teams would snap him up in a heartbeat.

Agree, his last contract was based on being a fringe player who was 50/50 to being deemed to be surplus to requirements.

He is now a cup winning, top six, first choice striker.

For what it’s worth, even if his was asking for his current/previous to be DOUBLED, it wouldn’t take him anywhere close to being on the same wages as Stevie May, Craig Bryson etc.. has he contributed more since he signed his last contract? It’s an unequivocal yes for me.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

If Kane wanted to be one of our highest earners, would people agree to that?

4 league goals all season and only 2 since the start of December...

Not necessarily one of our highest earners but definitely worthy of a starting forwards wage. 

I’d heavily incentivise it with a goal bonus LAUGH OUT LOUD 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

If Kane wanted to be one of our highest earners, would people agree to that?

4 league goals all season and only 2 since the start of December...

The obsession with statistics riles me - just because he's described as a striker means he should score 15+ goals a year - surely nowadays more than ever individual players can contribute something individual to a team performance without being pigeonholed into defender, midfielder or striker in the traditional sense of the words.

Kane's contribution this season has been massive for us, he does the hard part of closing down and holding the ball up brilliantly, with a fitness and intensity level beyond almost anyone else in the league.  His work rate in the cup final was astounding - most 'strikers' would have been goosed after 60 minutes in that type of battle, but he was still chasing down everything at the final whistle.

So for me, if he becomes one of our highest earners he's worked hard to justify that.  We'd be a significantly weaker team without him in it.

44 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

The obsession with statistics riles me - just because he's described as a striker means he should score 15+ goals a year - surely nowadays more than ever individual players can contribute something individual to a team performance without being pigeonholed into defender, midfielder or striker in the traditional sense of the words.

Kane's contribution this season has been massive for us, he does the hard part of closing down and holding the ball up brilliantly, with a fitness and intensity level beyond almost anyone else in the league.  His work rate in the cup final was astounding - most 'strikers' would have been goosed after 60 minutes in that type of battle, but he was still chasing down everything at the final whistle.

So for me, if he becomes one of our highest earners he's worked hard to justify that.  We'd be a significantly weaker team without him in it.

Great post Monty.

44 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

He has been fantastic and has so much energy and he deserves better terms.

1 hour ago, akuram said:

He has been fantastic and has so much energy and he deserves better terms.

If Killie stay up, TW is a massive fan... Anyway, believe he will stay. But despite others optimism, I'm slightly nervous about our forwards next season. I am fully aware that it's not yet April, and the league finishes late this year, but I'm finding it difficult to get excited about next season. Sure, things change & I really hope they do. If, as expected, Kane signs, we still don't have a goalscorer. Again. MOH- not really bothered if he goes or stays. Would be on a decent wage I'd imagine, coming from Sevco. May just seems to be lost in the system- or he struggles to play without an out & out goalscorer, not Kane and apparently on decent money. Hendry, who knows where he's at. Melamed, as expected, will be off. Middleton back to Ibrox, unless we get him on loan again. So to me, it looks pretty dull. But it is only March. Just pray Saints can sort Kane out quickly, then find another Melamed. 

3 hours ago, montrosesaintee said:

If one of our strikers is one of our highest earners players, I'd expect more than 4 goals in a season tbh.

Maybe just me.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

If one of our strikers is one of our highest earners players, I'd expect more than 4 goals in a season tbh.

Maybe just me.

Whilst I understand your point there is a reason our most successful manager ever and now our new gaffer have both had him work his way into their plans when it looked initially he wasn’t going to get much game time.

If we have an alternative option, in our price budget that will bag 12+ goals and match what Kane brings to the team, then I’d be happy to see the club wish him all the best and move on. I think that seems very unlikely.

13 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Whilst I understand your point there is a reason our most successful manager ever and now our new gaffer have both had him work his way into their plans when it looked initially he wasn’t going to get much game time.

If we have an alternative option, in our price budget that will bag 12+ goals and match what Kane brings to the team, then I’d be happy to see the club wish him all the best and move on. I think that seems very unlikely.

Kane is a good player and one I'd like to keep.

There is absolutely no way he deserves the portion of the wage bill being one of our highest earners takes though.

He doesn't work his way into their plans, really. He generally starts every season as 3rd choice, gets his chance when the other strikers are struggling, and his work rate keeps him involved for the rest of the season. There's a reason nobody starts him off as first choice.

He's played really well this season, but it's 1 season out of about 6, and even then he's not been a reliable goalscorer. I've no doubt we could get a hard working striker in, who could score 3 goals a season, and not have to make them our highest earner.

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

If Killie stay up, TW is a massive fan... Anyway, believe he will stay. But despite others optimism, I'm slightly nervous about our forwards next season. I am fully aware that it's not yet April, and the league finishes late this year, but I'm finding it difficult to get excited about next season. Sure, things change & I really hope they do. If, as expected, Kane signs, we still don't have a goalscorer. Again. MOH- not really bothered if he goes or stays. Would be on a decent wage I'd imagine, coming from Sevco. May just seems to be lost in the system- or he struggles to play without an out & out goalscorer, not Kane and apparently on decent money. Hendry, who knows where he's at. Melamed, as expected, will be off. Middleton back to Ibrox, unless we get him on loan again. So to me, it looks pretty dull. But it is only March. Just pray Saints can sort Kane out quickly, then find another Melamed. 

Jesus wept.

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Honestly, please break up your paragraphs. I get 3 lines in and give up. 

It always looks like you’re typing on Coke! 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Maybe just me.

Same here, working hard is a prerequisite surely of any player, Kane’s miss from Guys superb ball sums him up, he’s not a great finisher.Would he have had Mays vision for the cut back at the goal, I personally doubt it.Happy to keep him as a  squad player, but hoping we’ve a better option up our sleeve