Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

3 hours ago, jhq said:

If you mean by splurging cash then you're wrong. We should not risk the future of the club. 

Not saying we should splurge the cash but should be trying to protect our assets. We have 3 or 4 players who  we could get decent transfer fees for but could go for nothing next season it we don't tie them down.

We should be in a better financial position than most as our small crowds mean we should not lose as much money as others in the league outside the OF who can afford the loss & we wouldn't catch them anyway. Saints have worked harder than most to make up some revenue with all their initiatives so hopefully that will be some help financially.

I think we have to tie down Booth & Kane who have already taken a couple of short term contracts & I think deserve a couple of years.

We can allow Conway , Bryson & Parish to go & free up a few wages. 

Love Muzz & would love to keep him as he is more than just a player for us but are we going to get enough game time out of him.

We look to have built a decent team & a little bit of investment could push us on to top 4 & protect what we have.

The fact that saints don’t rely on crowd money for income is precisely the reason we’re going to be hit hard! Saints income will have taken a huge hit from lack of events, conferences, wakes, games of fives. 

I agree that the club have done really well with coming up with alternative sources of income and the cup win will certainly help massively. However, it doesn’t matter how many pies and food boxes people buy, that will never offset the 6 figure amount the likes of SSE put into the club annually. I guess nobody really knows what is going to happen in the next accounts and I suspect we’ll be better off than most, but every team is running the risk of players leaving since long term expensive contracts are a big gamble. The easiest way around it is to set a minimum price with the player and stick to it. For example if someone wants Jason Kerr, we agree with him that so long as they pay £2mil for example we don’t stand in his way, not that I think Saints are like that. 

I struggle to see Saints ever getting close to £2 million for a player, regardless of how good they are. We couldn't even get £1 million for Stevie May, we're not going to get £2 million for a 24-year-old defender with no caps.

For me, the low transfer fees for our players, the lack of call-ups for our players and also the fact that Tommy Wright was never poached by a bigger club - these things are all connected. We're permanently under the radar and I think that's been key to a lot of our success, but it's also the reason why our biggest assets often don't get the recognition they deserve. They don't call us Underestimated Since 1884 for nothing.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I struggle to see Saints ever getting close to £2 million for a player, regardless of how good they are. We couldn't even get £1 million for Stevie May.

The accounts showed us getting over £1m for May, by the end.

Two separate £400k installments, £200k after his move to Preston, and a nominal amount after his Scotland cap.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

The accounts showed us getting over £1m for May, by the end.

Two separate £400k installments, £200k after his move to Preston, and a nominal amount after his Scotland cap.

Which is decent money for saints, but still no where near what his true worth was at that time.

Clubs know that we would likely see £1m as a huge offer and so bid accordingly. Kerr is as good or a better player than Porteous at Hibs and they turned down £1m, but we would likely accept half that for Kerr. If we played hard ball and ended up getting top dollar for a player, clubs would know saints would be no push over and so inflates what you get for future players. Compared to other players in our league, I'd argue McCann and Kerr should be 7 figure players.

We also suffer from being classed as over achievers for a long period. One upshot of the LC win might be a change in perception in media and in turn other clubs. 

6 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Which is decent money for saints, but still no where near what his true worth was at that time.

Clubs know that we would likely see £1m as a huge offer and so bid accordingly. Kerr is as good or a better player than Porteous at Hibs and they turned down £1m, but we would likely accept half that for Kerr. If we played hard ball and ended up getting top dollar for a player, clubs would know saints would be no push over and so inflates what you get for future players. Compared to other players in our league, I'd argue McCann and Kerr should be 7 figure players.

We also suffer from being classed as over achievers for a long period. One upshot of the LC win might be a change in perception in media and in turn other clubs. 

May was out of contract in 12 months and wouldn't sign a new deal, meaning he could leave for 6 months after he did for nothing. Getting over £1m was brilliant business.

I've no idea why people think St Johnstone would just roll over and accept anything? We rejected pitiful offers for May, done the same for Callum Davidson before, and others. Do you genuinely think nobody has enquired about Kerr/McCann over the past 12 months?

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

May was out of contract in 12 months and wouldn't sign a new deal, meaning he could leave for 6 months after he did for nothing. Getting over £1m was brilliant business.

I've no idea why people think St Johnstone would just roll over and accept anything? We rejected pitiful offers for May, done the same for Callum Davidson before, and others. Do you genuinely think nobody has enquired about Kerr/McCann over the past 12 months?

We got £800k for May pre sell on and no, I don't think that was good value.

Yes, we will turn down insulting bids and yes, there there will have been enquiries for McCann and Kerr, but I doubt Saints playing hardball will have been what is putting teams off.

If Motherwell can get £3m for Turnbull, Hibs Turned down £2m for Nisbett and Livi get £2m for Dykes, then if we get anything short of those kind of fees for McCann and arguably Kerr, then yes, we will appear to just roll over.

Not that I want to see any of the players go, I want them to be making saints better, but if they do, then I want saints to be suitably compensated. Davidson is the one player I think we got a fair value for and look what that £2m has done for the club over the last 20 years, it has been the safety net that is still there. 

12 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Killie post a £61 grand profit due to transfer of Taylor & a young guy to Man City. They also had a £400 grand contribution from a couple of directors.

You never hear of any contribution from our directors.

But you will only get directors contributions when a club is not able to stand on its own 2 feet. 

We did years ago when Geoff gave the club the money to buy Billy Dodds which he got back when we sold him to Aberdeen.

1 hour ago, TheYellowBox said:

We got £800k for May pre sell on and no, I don't think that was good value.

Yes, we will turn down insulting bids and yes, there there will have been enquiries for McCann and Kerr, but I doubt Saints playing hardball will have been what is putting teams off.

If Motherwell can get £3m for Turnbull, Hibs Turned down £2m for Nisbett and Livi get £2m for Dykes, then if we get anything short of those kind of fees for McCann and arguably Kerr, then yes, we will appear to just roll over.

You're not comparing like for like, though. Celtic didn't pay Motherwell £3m up front for Turnbull, by most accounts it was less than half of that.

The papers report the final fee, not the initial fee, so moaning Hibs turned down £2m for Nisbet ignores the fact it was likely under £1m they'd actually have received this season.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I struggle to see Saints ever getting close to £2 million for a player, regardless of how good they are. We couldn't even get £1 million for Stevie May, we're not going to get £2 million for a 24-year-old defender with no caps.

For me, the low transfer fees for our players, the lack of call-ups for our players and also the fact that Tommy Wright was never poached by a bigger club - these things are all connected. We're permanently under the radar and I think that's been key to a lot of our success, but it's also the reason why our biggest assets often don't get the recognition they deserve. They don't call us Underestimated Since 1884 for nothing.

I agree and disagree 

In normal circumstances your are correct but it only needs 2 teams to be interested and start a bidding war

All be it this never really happens with Saints 

The Tommy thing i disagree on a bit as well as get the feeling for most of his Saints career who was happy and didn't really want to move ,to the point of telling the audience at a meet the manager meeting that only 2 or 3 teams could tempt him away and that he knew Lomas would be sacked within a year and didn't fancy the gamble 

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Checked out Dunfermline squads for the last few weeks but no sign of Kyle Turner. Looks like he is on loan to Airdrie so it looks like Dunfermline don't rate him.

Na, not the case at all Cagey. Big fall out, Turner wanted away so Dunfermline refused to play him, Airdrie offered to take him on loan and send a player(Kyle MacDonald) in the other direction. Win-win for Dunfy (got rid of a player who didn’t want to be there and got a player in who would play first team matches)

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

I was just making the point that if my club came to me & said we really need you guys to take a pay cut otherwise the club is going to be in financial trouble & I agreed & then they went out & spent £250k on a player & gave hiim a good contract I would be less than happy. If they go & sell him for £2m or £3m are they going to repay all the players who lost wages if the club has already made losses of £1.5m or more?

52 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Na, not the case at all Cagey. Big fall out, Turner wanted away so Dunfermline refused to play him, Airdrie offered to take him on loan and send a player(Kyle MacDonald) in the other direction. Win-win for Dunfy (got rid of a player who didn’t want to be there and got a player in who would play first team matches)

Yeah,just noticed he was sent off 4 mins into his first game for Airdrie.

Any idea why Scot Allen has been loaned to ICT? Seems a big step down.

He's a player that is a classic Saints buy to my mind: lots of potential, lost his way through injury, needs regular games. I know he has health issues, and it might be that he can no longer play for a full 90 mins. I think he's most often played through the centre, but could be on the right. A replacement for MOH/Conway perhaps? Or Bryson even?

15 minutes ago, Linky said:

He's a player that is a classic Saints buy to my mind: lots of potential, lost his way through injury, needs regular games. I know he has health issues, and it might be that he can no longer play for a full 90 mins. I think he's most often played through the centre, but could be on the right. A replacement for MOH/Conway perhaps? Or Bryson even?

Not fully fit for spl, but trying to get fit up there

8 hours ago, Linky said:

Missed most of this season with heart problems, even training. With no bounce games due to Covid he requested a loan so he could build his fitness back up by playing regularly. 

Could only get loaned to the lower leagues as their window was extended due to the shutdown over Winter down there.

He's still got another year on his deal at Hibs, and I don't think he'd fit anywhere. You'd probably want him in Wotherspoons role and I would choose Wotherspoon over him tbh. He's definitely not a winger.

On 3/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, Cagey said:

Checked out Dunfermline squads for the last few weeks but no sign of Kyle Turner. Looks like he is on loan to Airdrie so it looks like Dunfermline don't rate him.

Young lad on loan from Crystal Place (Burns??) is well worth a look. More than capable of playing in a league higher  

On 3/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, Cagey said:

Killie post a £61 grand profit due to transfer of Taylor & a young guy to Man City. They also had a £400 grand contribution from a couple of directors.

You never hear of any contribution from our directors.

I'd rather the club wasn't reliant on bale-outs from directors.