Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

On 3/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, Linky said:

Any idea why Scot Allen has been loaned to ICT? Seems a big step down.

He's a player that is a classic Saints buy to my mind: lots of potential, lost his way through injury, needs regular games. I know he has health issues, and it might be that he can no longer play for a full 90 mins. I think he's most often played through the centre, but could be on the right. A replacement for MOH/Conway perhaps? Or Bryson even?

Don't think we should be signing players if they can't play 90 minutes. 

19 hours ago, jhq said:

Don't think we should be signing players if they can't play 90 minutes. 

I don't think there is anything preventing him, medically, from playing 90 minutes. His heart issue has been resolved, otherwise they would not be allowing him to train and play.  Sure I read that it was connected to his diabetes. 

52 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I don't think there is anything preventing him, medically, from playing 90 minutes. His heart issue has been resolved, otherwise they would not be allowing him to train and play.  Sure I read that it was connected to his diabetes. 

Hibs are quite heavily stacked in midfield as well. 

Just out of interest, outside of the Fuglies, which clubs) are living well beyond "their means", i.e. stuck with big squads & big wages? 

Imagine Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, any others that surprise? Appreciate there may be some confusion with players taking paycuts etc, so annual reports will probably be a bit of a dog's breakfast.

I'm thinking from Saints "value proposition". Surely with agents trolling, they should be taking into account a club's financial footing and not signing for, say, St. Mirren purely based on a better wage, then being asked/told to take a pay cut 4 months into signing.

But agents probably don't think that way. I'd also suspect that there will be some additional clauses in contracts clarifying a club's right to "amend weekly wages based on unforeseen events/ Acts of God" or whatever?

Surely Saints, even offering a smaller wage could, for once attract sensible agents/players?

2 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Just out of interest, outside of the Fuglies, which clubs) are living well beyond "their means", i.e. stuck with big squads & big wages? 

Imagine Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, any others that surprise? Appreciate there may be some confusion with players taking paycuts etc, so annual reports will probably be a bit of a dog's breakfast.

I'm thinking from Saints "value proposition". Surely with agents trolling, they should be taking into account a club's financial footing and not signing for, say, St. Mirren purely based on a better wage, then being asked/told to take a pay cut 4 months into signing.

But agents probably don't think that way. I'd also suspect that there will be some additional clauses in contracts clarifying a club's right to "amend weekly wages based on unforeseen events/ Acts of God" or whatever?

Surely Saints, even offering a smaller wage could, for once attract sensible agents/players?

I think every club in Premiership will be struggling financially, especially Arab.We are in a decent position but after a year of covid anything can happen.

Agents are only interested in getting their cut of any transfer hence them always touting their player for a move.

15 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I think most players/agents look upon signing for a club as a short-term thing. Get the best deal they can, stay for a year or two, then get the best deal they can (and another signing-on fee) somewhere else. So I doubt a club's potentially precarious financial position is given much thought, as long as they're offering big money. Can't really blame players for looking upon it that way, to be honest.

3 hours ago, chips said:

Yeah I believe once a player has signed for a team and agents got their "cut" it's a done deal for them, the financial implications of teams mean nothing to agents...its all about the initial fees 

The agent gets a % of the annual salary for some time most players are signed for free  & signing on FEE if any 

Callum expecting to lose at least one of his centre backs in the summer.

Hope he has replacements in mind.

We have taken a huge gamble this season with basically running with 3 centre backs & you could say we have been lucky with injuries, suspensions & Covid. Especially as defenders are more likely to get injured or suspected.

Regardless if we do lose at least one or not we need to bring in cover. The problem is will someone sign if they may end up sitting on the bench.

St Johnstone boss Callum Davidson admits he'll be "surprised" if the club don't receive bids for any of their highly-rated centre-back trio Jason Kerr, Liam Gordon and Jamie McCart this summer. (Courier,)

There may be bids but they will be unacceptable (too low). We will have all 3 next season.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Callum expecting to lose at least one of his centre backs in the summer.

Hope he has replacements in mind.

We have taken a huge gamble this season with basically running with 3 centre backs & you could say we have been lucky with injuries, suspensions & Covid. Especially as defenders are more likely to get injured or suspected.

Regardless if we do lose at least one or not we need to bring in cover. The problem is will someone sign if they may end up sitting on the bench.

No, no-one will sign if they think they may be on the bench.  We will have to run with a squad of 11.

I thought that interview from Davidson was a bit worrying. He seemed to be saying that the club will need to sell those players to survive. Was the answer spontaneous or is he preparing the fans for the fact that 1 or 2 might be leaving? What sort of money would the club accept?

39 minutes ago, Linky said:

I thought that interview from Davidson was a bit worrying. He seemed to be saying that the club will need to sell those players to survive. Was the answer spontaneous or is he preparing the fans for the fact that 1 or 2 might be leaving? What sort of money would the club accept?

They can sell the whole squad ,as long as they get the right price ,which has not always been the case.

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

They can sell the whole squad ,as long as they get the right price ,which has not always been the case.

On that point, I think we usually hold out for the maximum amount we can. I can't think of a player or manager that we've undersold in the past 10 years (maybe more). Am I missing someone obvious?