Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

8 minutes ago, Linky said:

I’d love us to sign a striker who can get double figures every season & we can sell onwards for £££. Unlikely though with our budget. If we let May go, who would we honestly be looking to replace him with that we could afford?

Aberdeen will be looking for 3 new permanent strikers, Hibs perhaps for 2 if Nisbet goes, Motherwell for 3 perhaps as many of their strikers are out of contract, etc. etc. What’s your plan in terms of competing with them for the likes of Greg Stewart, or anyone else who is willing to come to the league and score more than a few goals a season.

Bear in mind we usually only play with 1 striker, and we will potentially have 3 for next season already anyway.

Of which only one is contracted passed the end of this season.

49 minutes ago, Linky said:

I’d love us to sign a striker who can get double figures every season & we can sell onwards for £££. Unlikely though with our budget. If we let May go, who would we honestly be looking to replace him with that we could afford?

Aberdeen will be looking for 3 new permanent strikers, Hibs perhaps for 2 if Nisbet goes, Motherwell for 3 perhaps as many of their strikers are out of contract, etc. etc. What’s your plan in terms of competing with them for the likes of Greg Stewart, or anyone else who is willing to come to the league and score more than a few goals a season.

Bear in mind we usually only play with 1 striker, and we will potentially have 3 for next season already anyway.

We don't have to sign an expensive player from within the league though? In fact I'd be amazed if we signed any current premiership strikers and therefore we aren't going to be "competing" for known quantities. Kane and May can both go if they're wanting a starting wage befitting of a goal scoring striker, neither are that any more. Both are handy players no doubt about it, but neither could finish their dinner.

Given we play with 2 strikers regularly as well, we need at least 4 to pick from given injuries and suspensions. I'd much rather we let a couple of them go (they've had their chances and fluffed them consistently) and tried to find a prospect or an unknown quantity in the league. Lets face it, they could be crap and still score the same number of goals that May and Kane have this season. This is what I don't understand a lot of the time with saints fans, we're happy to accept mediocrity at best because we're used to them and are scared that we might actually find better. So what that Kane and May have been good servants for the club, we shouldn't be keeping them around solely for the fact they're good guys and helpful in the dressing room. Give me a big, sulky bugger who'll take huffs constantly if he scores 15 league goals a season. Last time we had one of them was Fran Sandaza and we all know how well that turned out for us. 

23 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Ok here goes 

Now I have no idea of contract situations but watch a lot of Championship games on Fridays and those players have stood out for me ,are the right age and I think could step up in position we need to fill

Basically a raid on Inverness and Raith Rovers with some others

1/Daniel Mackay

Winger 

ICT

2/Nikolay Todorov 

Forward

IT

3/Cameron Harper 

Winger

ICT

4/Regan Tumilty 

Right Back 

Raith Rovers 

5/Daniel Armstrong 

Winger

Raith Rovers 

6/Regan Hendry

Midfield

Raith Rovers 

6/Lewis Vaughan

Forward

Raith Rovers 

7/Kai Kennedy 

Left Wing

Raith Rovers on loan from Rangers 

8 LukeMcGowan 

Midfielder 

42 games 10 goals 

Ayr Utd

9 /Conor Shields 

Forward 

Queen Of The South 

Throw in as cover and challenge first team keeper

Owan Fon Williams 

Goal 

ICT

I think some of those are loaneees.

I think we should keep an eye on some of the players out on loan to see if they are freed from their mother club.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

We don't have to sign an expensive player from within the league though? In fact I'd be amazed if we signed any current premiership strikers and therefore we aren't going to be "competing" for known quantities. Kane and May can both go if they're wanting a starting wage befitting of a goal scoring striker, neither are that any more. Both are handy players no doubt about it, but neither could finish their dinner.

Given we play with 2 strikers regularly as well, we need at least 4 to pick from given injuries and suspensions. I'd much rather we let a couple of them go (they've had their chances and fluffed them consistently) and tried to find a prospect or an unknown quantity in the league. Lets face it, they could be crap and still score the same number of goals that May and Kane have this season. This is what I don't understand a lot of the time with saints fans, we're happy to accept mediocrity at best because we're used to them and are scared that we might actually find better. So what that Kane and May have been good servants for the club, we shouldn't be keeping them around solely for the fact they're good guys and helpful in the dressing room. Give me a big, sulky bugger who'll take huffs constantly if he scores 15 league goals a season. Last time we had one of them was Fran Sandaza and we all know how well that turned out for us. 

Sounds good. So, we let May & Kane go, I doubt we’ll be able to keep Melamed. If you want 4 strikers, which 3 strikers do you suggest we sign within our budget, considering we’re very much lacking defenders, might need 3/4 midfield replacements and our ‘keeper is suspect?

12 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Surely it is more a question of can we meet their demands and/or what level of budget CD wants to spend on them individually.

Indeed. I said we’d potentially have 3, as I think out of the 3 that are out of contract, we’re likely to retain 2 plus Hendry. Melamed is off I think. Davidson rates Kane. May is the question mark. I just wondered if you’ll think all 3 will leave, or we’d retain just 1 of them, etc.

36 minutes ago, Linky said:

Indeed. I said we’d potentially have 3, as I think out of the 3 that are out of contract, we’re likely to retain 2 plus Hendry. Melamed is off I think. Davidson rates Kane. May is the question mark. I just wondered if you’ll think all 3 will leave, or we’d retain just 1 of them, etc.

Agree that CD seems to rate Kane however he has recently changed agent (same one As Melamed) so that could make getting a deal done a bit more difficult.

May is a concern.  CD stated he wanted May to get back to striking for goal at every opportunity.  This is not happening and in fact he seems a bit shot shy.  Is that the reason he is not a certain starter in games?  For me if he is a top earner then not value for money and therefore can go.

Melamed try to retain and spend savings from May leaving on him. 

In all cases depends interest from elsewhere.

Bring in a forward(s) who can play as one up front and score goals .

As not privy to CD's contact list do not know if he has targets lined up or if indeed he is happy enough with our current forwards to offer them deals.  What is said in press and what he actually thinks could be two different things.

In the end if all three move on then others are brought in.  Not be the first time and certainly better strikers than them all have left Saints in the past.

Important thing in all deals is to get them over the line early on and not our usual last week/day of window.

21 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Todorov is an interesting one... He seems to have been around for ages.... can't believe he's 24. Not seen him, but from descriptions here that he's "good hold up player", to me, puts him in the Kane role. I think we need a striker with genuine pace and/ or skill who gets into good positions.

As for the list, no problem with championship players, as long as they're young, confident and seeking to constantly improve.

Problem is, raiding Raith & ICT (along with 5 or so Premier clubs) will no doubt turn into a bidding war & those clubs will demand top £££ for their best talent. If Saints can strike early on 2 key targets, that'll keep me happy.

They'll have to be out of contract in the summer.  Saints won't be paying transfer fees. 

33 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Why do these threads never consider our own youth players, given that we have have half a team or more of very decent home-grown players at the moment? Are there any ready to step up? 

I dont think any are ready?

Ballantyne likely the closest but probably needs 6 months/season at Championship level next.

Denham, Steele, Northcott and Hamilton are all just on the fringes of lower league sides. Robertson didn't do much at Forfar. Ferguson is more likely to be loaned next season rather than break through, might depend on how he develops physically this Summer. No idea what's happening with Ross Sinclair, didn't do much in his loan spells either.

43 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Why do these threads never consider our own youth players, given that we have have half a team or more of very decent home-grown players at the moment? Are there any ready to step up? 

It looks like Ballentyne is the only one that is getting regular games. Others mainly on the bench so if they can't get a game in lower leagues it doesn't look like they are ready for premiership.

18 hours ago, Linky said:

What I really mean is: getting Melamed was pure luck. I'm not sure we'd have the budget for a striker better than those 3. If we do, it'd be someone like Lafferty who I think may disrupt the squad. Part of the reason we're doing well, I think, is that we have a squad of great professionals who work hard for the team. One player can ruin that.

I think we got Melamed because CD was willing to take a chance on a player punted to us by an agent. We probably get those sorts of players pitched to us all the time, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that CD will go for another one. I'm not sure if that's a strategy CD is generally going to be keen on, or if the circumstances of Covid made it a one-off. But either way, I think it's more likely we'll go for an unknown quantity from abroad who impresses in a trial, or someone from down south (perhaps on loan), than one of the Lafferty-type cloggers who we're all familiar with. 

The thing that worries me a bit is that our attacking options aren't just about the four strikers. We also have attacking players/forwards like Conway, Middleton and O'Halloran whose deals are all up too. If all/most of these players leave, that suddenly becomes a big rebuild.

4 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Former Scotland midfielder Craig Bryson is open to the idea of extending his St Johnstone career for a further season.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2123488/st-johnstone-craig-bryson-new-contract-clyde-celtic-scottish-cup/

I think that is maybe just putting himself in the shop window by saying that, I notice that off the park he is planning his future though by setting himself up doing personal training.  Would be surprised if both Conway and Bryson got another yea. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

I think that is maybe just putting himself in the shop window by saying that, I notice that off the park he is planning his future though by setting himself up doing personal training.  Would be surprised if both Conway and Bryson got another yea. 

Why?

Both have played regularly, and both have been fine as back up players

We'll hopefully be running with a larger squad next season. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Why?

Both have played regularly, and both have been fine as back up players

We'll hopefully be running with a larger squad next season. 

I think they have been fine, but no more. My concern is that Conway particularly is getting to an age where his fitness will drop off considerably. I would hope that we'd be looking at younger players as back-ups that we can develop.

On 4/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, Widge said:

Sounds about right