Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

10 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

@RandomGuy how do you know what he's been offered? Also personal circumstances come into it. If he's that shit hot, I'm sure Gillingham would make a good destination. And obscurity. 

Who? Allan Campbell?

Stephen Robinson has multiple interviews over the past year saying they've offered him a new deal but "the club can only spend so much" and last Summer said he's aware clubs interested in Campbell can spend a lot more than Motherwell. 

Millwall and Swansea both tried to sign in January, apparently. 

Edited by RandomGuy

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2133406/rangers-glenn-middleton-st-johnstone/

Callum hoping to get Glenn Middleton back next season:

“He’s worked really hard from the day he arrived here and the more I can get him involved, the better he’ll be for us.

“But if he does unbelievably well for me in the next five or six games I probably won’t get the chance to keep him!”

Davidson added: “He’s great about the place, he wants to learn and has a really positive attitude about everything he does.

“We’ll be looking to get him more game-time and then have a conversation with Rangers about next season. Hopefully that’s something we can think about.

“I think he’s at the stage in his career where he now needs sustained matches.”

The article also mentions him scouting some championship games.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Who? Allan Campbell?

Stephen Robinson has multiple interviews over the past year saying they've offered him a new deal but "the club can only spend so much" and last Summer said he's aware clubs interested in Campbell can spend a lot more than Motherwell. 

Millwall and Swansea both tried to sign in January, apparently. 

But what's he been offered? Name it. You can't state things & not back it up. There's too many... "Aparently" in there.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2133406/rangers-glenn-middleton-st-johnstone/

Callum hoping to get Glenn Middleton back next season:

“He’s worked really hard from the day he arrived here and the more I can get him involved, the better he’ll be for us.

“But if he does unbelievably well for me in the next five or six games I probably won’t get the chance to keep him!”

Davidson added: “He’s great about the place, he wants to learn and has a really positive attitude about everything he does.

“We’ll be looking to get him more game-time and then have a conversation with Rangers about next season. Hopefully that’s something we can think about.

“I think he’s at the stage in his career where he now needs sustained matches.”

The article also mentions him scouting some championship games.

It will all boil down to money and how much of his wages we are willing to pay, They are hoping to sell him on if he does well They may only give him a 6 month loan or a loan with the ability to recall if an offer comes in.  Doubt we could afford to buy him as someone stated his contract runs to 2023 even at the end of his contract there may be a development fee. 

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

But what's he been offered? Name it. You can't state things & not back it up. There's too many... "Aparently" in there.

How on earth would I know that?

The Motherwell manager has stated on many occasions they've offered Campbell a deal at the top end of their budget.

Please though, continue arguing he's wrong while simultaneously telling me that I'm the one who's making things up.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

How on earth would I know that?

The Motherwell manager has stated on many occasions they've offered Campbell a deal at the top end of their budget.

Please though, continue arguing he's wrong while simultaneously telling me that I'm the one who's making things up.

Who's wrong??? I've never stated that Motherwell didn't try to keep him. But putting people up from other clubs, when you don't know what's going on there is a bit... "Tabloid".

29 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Who's wrong??? I've never stated that Motherwell didn't try to keep him. But putting people up from other clubs, when you don't know what's going on there is a bit... "Tabloid".

I do know what's happening with Campbell at Motherwell, as their manager has clarified it multiple times in the media.

19 minutes ago, mainstand said:

But you quoted Stephen Robinson who is no longer his manager, so things may have changed. 

I said he'd rejected contracts over 12 months before his was due to expire, the same situation Kerr/McCart/Rooney are currently in.

I used Campbell as an example, and used quotes from his then manager to prove it.

21 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I think that is a good point with regards to Premier clubs, one I'm sure players (and agent's) will be aware of. Why move to Hibs/ Aberdeen even if they trounce us on wages? They'll never do anything more than a place in Europe (and fall to some obscure team from deepest frmr Yugoslavia) place 3-5th. Maybe a cup or two every 7-10 years. You'd be mad to go to a Scottish club. English LGE 1 & maybe some championship clubs. Better £££, chance of playing in a promotion side, maybe squirm into the Premier. 

Also believe that most of our players are playing for Saints because that is their level. A few might go to English clubs but there are a lot of decent English players they would be competing with. Think most of our players will be happy to stay. Players that are on the fringes are probably the most likely to move on. 

I think you also need to factor in the fact that Saints are a well run Club and you will get paid every month 

I'm not saying the will but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the likes of Gordon McCart Rooney and a few others becoming career Saints 

You only need to look at M Davidson Craig  Wotherspoon and the list previous for evidence of this

McCann and Kerr are slightly different but at the same point other teams have to want them and players need to be happy to move to that particular Club and good fit 

Danny Griffin is a good example being Driven to Derby for a 1.5 Million move and he didn't fancy it

We are a more established Premier League team now than we were then when DG was edged out to Dundee Utd so you never know..

Contact negotiation take so long though because agents sit on them even if a player has said he is happy to stay at Saints and a verbal agreement is made ,but the agent fannies about in the hope of getting more money or another team to temp the player away

Eventually it gets to the point where the contract is actually signed and announced 

Recent carry ons with Joe the Throw and Stevie May are typical example of Agent being dicks(I hate agents) for that reason 

5 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I'm not saying the will but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the likes of Gordon McCart Rooney and a few others becoming career Saints. You only need to look at M Davidson Craig  Wotherspoon and the list previous for evidence of this.  carry ons with Joe the Throw and Stevie May are typical example of Agent being dicks(I hate agents) for that reason 

Agree with your point re agents. Everyone hates them, Ferguson's run-ins with "super agent" Mina well documented. 

But not sure at all about current saints players being "career" Saints, highly doubt it with respect to McCart & Rooney. Also, using Craig, Davidson, Spoony as examples is a bit off. Craig, May & Spoony tried their luck elsewhere, didn't work out for various reasons, so their value drops and Saints become a safe landing where players know the club. Davidson was poised to go to Sevco, but an injury put paid to that, and other clubs wouldn't go for him because of that history. 

I don't know what a "career" player is anymore. On the surface, it should be for a player that spent his entire senior career at Saints. That's incredibly rare. I think a "club man" is more appropriate, Craig, Muzz, Spoony are in that zone, with clear affection for the club- like biscuits.

6 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Agree with your point re agents. Everyone hates them, Ferguson's run-ins with "super agent" Mina well documented. 

But not sure at all about current saints players being "career" Saints, highly doubt it with respect to McCart & Rooney. Also, using Craig, Davidson, Spoony as examples is a bit off. Craig, May & Spoony tried their luck elsewhere, didn't work out for various reasons, so their value drops and Saints become a safe landing where players know the club. Davidson was poised to go to Sevco, but an injury put paid to that, and other clubs wouldn't go for him because of that history. 

I don't know what a "career" player is anymore. On the surface, it should be for a player that spent his entire senior career at Saints. That's incredibly rare. I think a "club man" is more appropriate, Craig, Muzz, Spoony are in that zone, with clear affection for the club- like biscuits.

Injury didn't stop Davidson going to Ibrox. Their shitty offer and impending death did.

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

They were examples of the type of Club we are and the willingness of players to go the long haul

You could add Chris Millar Dave McKay Jim Weir  Roddy Grant (2 spells)to the list 

Saints are a very good example of players being happy to re sign again due to stability 

Very little transition every season while other Clubs are sliding doors

I think the stability thing is a key factor. We offer players another year on their contract even if perhaps they haven't had the best of seasons. Teams like Motherwell change half their squad every year. If I was a decent footballer, but felt I couldn't play at a hugely higher level, I know which I'd prefer.

I think players like Middleton perhaps recognise this, and that's why he wants to come back. We'll be patient with players, and allow them to improve. This is why I think May and the like will be given a new contract even if they might not be at their best at the moment.

3 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

They were examples of the type of Club we are and the willingness of players to go the long haul

You could add Chris Millar Dave McKay Jim Weir  Roddy Grant (2 spells)to the list 

Saints are a very good example of players being happy to re sign again due to stability 

Very little transition every season while other Clubs are sliding doors

And such is the professionalism of the club, said players often leave on good terms with the genuine best wishes of the club. 

33 minutes ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Standard of the opposition made Irvine look good!

Shankland _ Scotland striker & scored for fun last season.

McNulty _  Scored loads of goals for Hibs.

Clark _ Clubs top scorer.

All supplied by midfield maestro & Saints next signing.

Don't get much harder shift than that.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Shankland _ Scotland striker & scored for fun last season.

McNulty _  Scored loads of goals for Hibs.

Clark _ Clubs top scorer.

All supplied by midfield maestro & Saints next signing.

Don't get much harder shift than that.

Thankfully they are underperforming, we’re very lucky to get past Patrick, would happily take them in the semi.