Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

For the first time in many moons, I'm looking forward to how the close season will go. CD (along with other managers) will be getting absolutely swamped with videos etc of players from leagues across Europe. The impact of Covid has now hit clubs, and mass clearouts, similar to Motherwell, will be occurring a lot. CD has a bit of a predicament with Europe, as we'll need a bigger squad to cope with potential additional games (if we make conference group).

If we don't re-sign any out of contract/ loans, (Tanser, Brown, MOH, Conway, Mel, Middleton), that's 6 just to keep the same numbers. And that's not taking into account any moves for our players. That's a lot, and I don't expect too many signings as cover- we can't afford wages to warm the bench. 

Whoever we sign, can someone please stop Scott Boyd "cutting & pasting" the same thank you paragraph for every player so far (!)

5 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

You must have missed them checking the thesaurus for different options for "delighted"!

Not had any "over the moon'", "thrilled", "pure dead brilliant", "beside myself", "ah've peed ma'sel", "bit of a Dirk Diggler doon there", "goodie, goodie gumjobs" yet. 

Edited by Melbourne Saint

On 5/26/2021 at 12:12 AM, Melbourne Saint said:

For the first time in many moons, I'm looking forward to how the close season will go. CD (along with other managers) will be getting absolutely swamped with videos etc of players from leagues across Europe. The impact of Covid has now hit clubs, and mass clearouts, similar to Motherwell, will be occurring a lot. CD has a bit of a predicament with Europe, as we'll need a bigger squad to cope with potential additional games (if we make conference group).

If we don't re-sign any out of contract/ loans, (Tanser, Brown, MOH, Conway, Mel, Middleton), that's 6 just to keep the same numbers. And that's not taking into account any moves for our players. That's a lot, and I don't expect too many signings as cover- we can't afford wages to warm the bench. 

Whoever we sign, can someone please stop Scott Boyd "cutting & pasting" the same thank you paragraph for every player so far (!)

Tough list of players to replace but at least a lot of the core of the team are signed up, unlike as you say Motherwell, Aberdeen etc who all look like they'll be left with crumbs of teams. Continuity will hopefully see us hit the ground running. Saying all that if we lose that 6 and a few big money bids are accepted for players (Kerr & Mccann in particular though can see bids for all of the back line / full backs) it will see us with a major rebuild on our hands. 

Would like to see all that 6 retained but Tanser sounds like he is away, Middleton would probably need to be another loan and MOH & Conway possibly on decent wages that could be reinvested. Mel has been good and a great option in the 2nd half of the season but I wouldn't see him as a huge loss. Not sure what wages Brown would be looking for but he's been solid enough coming into the team and worth a contract given he's a free agent in the summer. 

I'd be surprised if we don't at least offer Brown a contract, depends if he is happy to be 2nd string to Rooney (32 mins). Tanser might get a 6 month deal, depending on his injury or if he has already burner all his Saints bridges. 

I think all the others will be away. Conway seems to have massively fallen out of favour. I get the impression Melamed isn't that settled here (understandably) and we have Hendry coming back. MOH, depends if other teams are offering decent wages and first team football, I'd guess. I'd take Middleton back on loan if thats an option...but given our improved reputation and European football...i would hope that attracting good players on loan might be a lot easier next season. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57268896

Rival clubs will have to break St Johnstone's transfer record to prise midfielder Ali McCann from the double cup winners, chairman Steve Brown says.

Brown also insists that Callum Davidson, the current manager for whom Blackburn Rovers paid a record £1.75m in 1998, is "happy" at McDiarmid Park.

Saints' chairman admits there has already been interest in the players who won the Scottish and League cups.

"If Ali is going to go, it will be north of that figure," Brown says.

"There's been interest - Ali in particular, a Northern Ireland international. If the right offer comes along and a player wants to leave, which is another thing you have to take into consideration, then we will sell, but it will be at a price we are happy with."

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57268896

Rival clubs will have to break St Johnstone's transfer record to prise midfielder Ali McCann from the double cup winners, chairman Steve Brown says.

Brown also insists that Callum Davidson, the current manager for whom Blackburn Rovers paid a record £1.75m in 1998, is "happy" at McDiarmid Park.

Saints' chairman admits there has already been interest in the players who won the Scottish and League cups.

"If Ali is going to go, it will be north of that figure," Brown says.

"There's been interest - Ali in particular, a Northern Ireland international. If the right offer comes along and a player wants to leave, which is another thing you have to take into consideration, then we will sell, but it will be at a price we are happy with."

So it should be but if you take inflation from 1998 to now then the £1.75m is now valued at £3.15m.  Anything north of £4m should do it then.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Their agent has confirmed that both Scott Tanser and Guy Melamed are now out of contract at Saints.

Feels like both will be joining new clubs.

Guy is leaving.

He wants to stay, Callum wants to keep him, but the money just isn’t there to offer him acceptable(in his eyes) terms.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Their agent has confirmed that both Scott Tanser and Guy Melamed are now out of contract at Saints.

Feels like both will be joining new clubs.

That is 2 holes that need filled. Any news about the remaining 2; Conway and MOH 

16 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Steve Brown's taken a lot of stick on here over the years for negative interviews. I think it's only fair to point out that that's a really good interview with him this time - he really talks up our manager and the season's achievements.